Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
grayfox
Connoisseur
grayfox doesn't littergrayfox doesn't littergrayfox doesn't litter

Device: Razr/iLiad
Bigger Font for mrxvt?

Hi,

Is there a magic key sequence to get a larger font for mrxvt?

Failing that, is there any way to get a larger font...My old eyes
are having difficulty with the tiny font size

While I am talking mrxvt, is there a way to "flush" the key buffer?

When I do command line editing I never seem to know the exact
position of the cursor

Thanks,

Jerry
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
A bigger font sure would be nice... I can see the one that's there, but not easily. Should there be an rc file to edit or something?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The full mrxvt seems to be a very capable "xterm", but at least some of its features are disabled (or unavailable) on the iLiad. It seems possible that all that is needed is the right .mrxvtrc settings, but the iLiad-specific source code might still give some clues. Where is the source code?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:09 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fonts in X11 really suck. Modern applications generally get round this by allowing font selection via menus, which automatically fill with available fonts. FBReader works that way for example, as do all "heavy weight" terminal programs. Really old X11 apps require you to use the XLFD, e.g. -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1 for the standard X11 "fixed" font. A typical terminal program these days will still accept an XLFD (probably with "*" for some fields), but have alternative simpler ways of specifying fonts too. Unfortunately, the alternative mrxvt has chosen is "freetype fonts" which are not linked into the iLiad mrxvt.

This is all a long-winded way of saying that in order to specify a font to mrxvt its XLFD is needed. The program xlsfonts will list all available fonts with their XLFDs, but I can't find it on the iLiad. So far every XLFD I have tried has returned "mrxvt: can't load font". The fc-list program reports that Bitstream Vera Sans Mono and Nimbus Mono L fonts are available, but I have yet to construct a XLFD for these fonts that works in mrxvt. The XLFD stuff is so picky that I can't tell if I am screwing up the XLFD's of if mrxvt is buggy and only works with the default font.

Any suggestions? If I was a C/C++ programmer I think I might try porting Xfce-Terminal. This depends on Xfce libraries (among others), but was the basis of osso-xterm for the Nokia 770/N800 which are comparable in some ways to the iLiad. However, mrxvt is probably "good enough" if the font issue can be fixed.

With the default font, the following (e.g. in run.sh) gives a much better setup than the default:
Code:
./mrxvt -geometry 112x44-40-340 -sr
This is 112 characters wide and 44 rows high (filling most of the screen above the keyboard), and -sr puts the scrollbar on the right (vs on the left by default).
Old 10-20-2007, 06:46 AM   #5
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Any suggestions?
The problem is that "default" (that's the name of that tiny font) is the only non-truetype font that the iliad has installed. And mrxvt only supports that type of fonts. As a side note, I suppose that "default" is there because is required for X to launch; all iRex apps use the truetype fonts.

Dillo had the same problem. I resolved the problem including more fonts in the dillo package along with the utils to register them. The dillo launch script calls those programs to register the additional fonts and then dillo looks sane.

With mrxvt something similar has to be done.

I recommend the following font (it's included in the dillo package):
-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-iso8859-1

it's filename is 10x20*.

If you prune the fonts directory, remember to only delete the fonts not needed, not the files _not_ended_ in gz (fonts.alias fonts.dir).
Antartica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:07 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader

Thanks - I have posted version 0.3 with fonts from Dillo in mrxvt ported to iLiad. These are a huge improvement.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:00 PM   #7
grayfox
Connoisseur
grayfox doesn't littergrayfox doesn't littergrayfox doesn't litter

Device: Razr/iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Thanks - I have posted version 0.3 with fonts from Dillo in mrxvt ported to iLiad. These are a huge improvement.
Yes, indeed !

Thanks for the port

Jerry
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote