Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
epstewart
Connoisseur
epstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone 3G 16GB, B&N nook
Moving B&N EPUBs to iBooks

I have created a blog post, iBooks♥B&N: Let's Get Ignoble! (google "iBooks ignoble" w/o the quote marks), which gives detailed instructions on how users of Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" can move B&N EPUBs to iBooks.

I♥CABBAGES has created a set of Python scripts (google "Circumventing Barnes & Noble DRM") that he refers to as "ignoble" — they resemble his earlier "inept" suite that de-DRMs e-books from Adobe — and that can be used to decrypt B&N EPUBs so that they can be imported into iTunes and thus iBooks on an iPhone or any other iOS 4.0 device, such as an iPad or an iPod Touch.

I♥CABBAGES's ignoble scripts are, of course, free. Except for one of them, ignoblekey, which runs only on Windows, they are platform-independent and can be used on Mac OS X Leopard. In my blog post, I show how to do that.

I also give hints as to how to use ignoble on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or on Windows platforms, but for the most part my blog post deals with the OS I have hands-on experience with: Leopard.

Barnes & Noble recently — and quietly — changed all their e-books from PDBs to EPUBs, so if you buy an e-book from B&N today, it will very likely be an EPUB. Plus, if you re-download an e-book you bought from them and originally received as a PDB, it will very likely re-download as a EPUB today ... so you can use ignoble to strip DRM from it, then import it into iTunes/iBooks.

Why move B&N EPUBs into iTunes/iBooks in the first place? It keeps you from having to switch between iBooks and the B&N eReader app on your iDevice, and from having to remember which e-books are in which app. Given that many, many e-books (those from the huge Random House library) aren't available at the iBookstore yet but are available from B&N, you can just buy them from B&N and then use ignoble to make them iBooks-compatible! My blog post shows how ...

Last edited by epstewart; 07-23-2010 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Provide indirect links via google
epstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Missed seeing you around, epstewart!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
epstewart
Connoisseur
epstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone 3G 16GB, B&N nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Missed seeing you around, epstewart!
Thanks ... it's hard to keep up with all the stuff I'm into ... I've been so busy I hardly have time to read my e-books ...
epstewart is offline   Reply With Quote