Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 05:15 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
NYT's Pogue not impressed with the Sony PRS-700

With all the recent buzz about Kindle 2, it's easy to ignore the alternatives. David Pogue of the NY Times just got his hands on a Sony PRS-700, which is built on similar hardware as the K2 (both use Vizplex E-Ink, a Freescale i.MX31L CPU and the Epson Broadsheet controller).

Mr. Pogue likes about the Sony:
  • it's "gorgeous", made of "sleek black metal", provides a "better margin" around the screen - in comparison the K2 still looks like it was designed by the "makers of the Commodore 64"
  • it has a touch screen and built-in illumination

David doesn't like about the Sony:
  • contrast "suffers" and there is an "annoying" reflective glare due to the additional touch screen layer
  • requires a PC (Windows only) for getting content - "a ritual that feels extremely ancient and creaky once you've tasted the bliss of the Kindle's instant cellular downloads"
  • Sony e-books are priced higher and the Sony store contain fewer titles - "under 100,000, compared with Amazon's 240,000"

His verdict: "What the world really wants, of course, is an e-book reader with Sony's design panache and Amazon's wireless bookstore." I couldn't agree more.

Article: Sony PRS-700: The Other e-Reader

Related: New York Times review: K2
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:31 AM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I couldn't agree more.
Yeah... neither could we!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Amen to that!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
add me to that list of wishers.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
[*]requires a PC (Windows only) for getting content - "a ritual that feels extremely ancient and creaky once you've tasted the bliss of the Kindle's instant cellular downloads"
I'm not sure I'd ever use that if it was in a reader I use. I just like to carry around my entire library, not download it from somewhere. I'd probably be able to create something like that for my PDA, but don't feel the need for it.

Quote:
[*]Sony e-books are priced higher and the Sony store contain fewer titles - "under 100,000, compared with Amazon's 240,000"
So, Kindle readers only look at the Amazon store and Sony readers only at the Sony store?
Amazon should just open up their Kindle format and make those books available for non-Kindle ownsers.

Quote:
His verdict: "What the world really wants, of course, is an e-book reader with Sony's design panache and Amazon's wireless bookstore." I couldn't agree more.
No, what the world wants is the Amazon bookstore available for all readers, not just Kindle readers.

I do agree on the beautiful design of the Sony compared to the cluncky design of the Kindle...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

No, what the world wants is the Amazon bookstore available for all readers, not just Kindle readers.

We have a winner.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post

We have a winner.
Ohhh! What did I win!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #8
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ohhh! What did I win!
Free downloads of Charles Dickens, brought to you by Project Gutenberg.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Free downloads of Charles Dickens, brought to you by Project Gutenberg.
But the Dickens posted by HarryT to MR are better editions. So why not just get them here instead?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But the Dickens posted by HarryT to MR are better editions. So why not just get them here instead?
Well the PG ones are what's on my PDA phone.
I only recently found MR when i was buying my wife's PRS505.
The bird in the hand if you will.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
There are some great Dickens downloads right here on MobileRead too.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #12
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
The last few days,with all the Kindle comparisons,I have been thinking-I would love of course to have access to the books sold on amazon....but I'm not so sure I would really want another connected device.Books aside-I'm not sure I need another way for people to ask me if I've read or seen something (a blog post,an article etc).So I think I could do without the connectivity (and yes I know...one doesn't necessarily *have* to use it)....I am however still thinking,by noon I may have changed my mind re the connectivity (ideally that would be great for the times when I don't have my computer...but since for now the kindle connectivity is useless outside of the US..it wouldn't do me much good anyways...)

A friend in DC just received his Kindle,I can't wait to hear what he thinks of it-and maybe even actually get to see it (and no he didn't have the previous one).
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
There are some great Dickens downloads right here on MobileRead too.
What do you mean "too"? Where else can you find Dickens downloads as good as the ones that are here?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I agree with the sentiment, more of a Sony design with Amazon source access.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #15
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
I'm not sure I'd ever use that if it was in a reader I use. I just like to carry around my entire library, not download it from somewhere. I'd probably be able to create something like that for my PDA, but don't feel the need for it.
When the Kindle 1 first came out, I bought mostly because of the features (dictionary, search, annotation) and the impressive offering of books in the store. My reaction to the whole Whispernet thing was a resounding "meh". Wikipedia and Web search was cool but e-ink is pretty slow so I figured I wouldn't use the Web much. I'm perfectly capable of transferring books via USB so I figured I probably wouldn't bother much with the wireless delivery unless I was out and I do most of my reading at home.

What made me come to see it as totally freaking brilliant is the way it works in concert with the free samples: Just-in-time book buying. I don't buy books until I've finished the rather generous sample and have decided it is what I want to read right now. I used to buy books ahead of time in fives and tens to hold me over. I'd buy things that had been recommended. I'd listen to authors on NPR and enjoy the interview so I'd buy the book (hardcover usually). Sometimes I'd find an author I liked and buy everything they'd ever written. This resulted in me buying a lot of books I read the first ten pages of and didn't enjoy enough to finish and a lot of books I never even opened because my attention had moved elsewhere. The only Kindle books I haven't finished are the ones I'm reading right now. I've read a lot of samples and NOT bought the book. The ability to download tons of samples and read them at your leisure on your device rather than the computer, then have the book within a minute of finishing the sample has totally changed the way I buy books.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote