Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #16
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Yes, Armor is a good stand-alone read.

It always felt to me that _Starship Troopers_ was oriented towards the WWII/Korean War generation, while _Armor_ was directed towards Vietnam-era sensibilities and issues.

This may be influenced by my having read _Armor_ before _Starship Troopers_.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #17
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Yes, Armor is a good stand-alone read.

It always felt to me that _Starship Troopers_ was oriented towards the WWII/Korean War generation, while _Armor_ was directed towards Vietnam-era sensibilities and issues.

This may be influenced by my having read _Armor_ before _Starship Troopers_.
I think that there is a disconnect between what is actually happening on the ground and what high command perceives in Armor that reaches World War One levels. Or maybe even the Spanish American War. Add to that the awareness of but poor treatment of Combat Fatigue we saw during the long war in Vietnam and throw in a few outright corrupt officers which one finds sprinkled through every war ever fought. So it is a conglomeration of awful leadership from the past.

Last edited by Phogg; 12-12-2014 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Too much of a spoiler.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #18
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I read the first Posleen War book (at least I think we're talking about 'A Hymn Before Battle', right?) recently and liked it, but it seemed so much in the style of 'Starship Troopers' that it felt derivative.
I was not compelled to continue with the series.

I think I may just be burned out on series in general. Or is it serieses? Seri?

I'm finishing the Prince Roger series, because it's only four books and by the time I made up my mind if I liked it or not, I was half way through it....

Is "Armor" a good stand-alone read?

ApK
You might like Empire of Man book 4 , We Few, a bit more; it's a more modern type of warfare.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #19
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
redacted
Hmm. Did you just spoil it for us?

Last edited by ApK; 12-12-2014 at 09:29 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #20
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Armor is not a series it is a stand alone read and it is an excellent read.
I did not like the way John Ringo ended the Posleen Series. It felt like he just decided not to do it any more and ended it abruptly.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
There isn't one book or series that nails everything about the genre for me. I agree with the choices above. I'd add Scalzi's "Old Man's War" series for its life extension and cultural isolation-over-time themes. Iain Banks' Cuture series has perhaps too much whimsy but his takes on combat, both space-based and virtual reality, are awesome.
The first book in the Culture series (Consider Phlebos) was a mess. It got bogged down by a lot of nonsense. And the card game scene went on way way too long. Overall, it was a real disappointment. So much so, that I cannot recommend the series at all because the first book is awful. There are too many series out there where the first book is good to bother with a series where the first book isn't good. I read it for a book club and overall, we didn't like it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #22
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Luckily I started with the second one, which is still my favourite. (And it's not really a series in that sense - the books mostly stand alone.) I wouldn't have classified any of them as military SF, though. Not even Use of Weapons.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:39 PM   #23
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
Keith Laumer's "The Compleat Bolo" has been one of my all time favorites. Artificially intelligent tanks that kick ass. I always keep a copy on my e-reader.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #24
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingMaNs View Post
Keith Laumer's "The Compleat Bolo" has been one of my all time favorites. Artificially intelligent tanks that kick ass. I always keep a copy on my e-reader.
Oh man, BOLO was one of my favorite Apple II games!
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #25
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Hmm. Did you just spoil it for us?
Point.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #26
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Oh man, BOLO was one of my favorite Apple II games!
I never knew there was a game. I always liked Battlezone on my Atari.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #27
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Armor is not a series it is a stand alone read and it is an excellent read.
I did not like the way John Ringo ended the Posleen Series. It felt like he just decided not to do it any more and ended it abruptly.
Apache
Do you mean the main storyline, i.e. that ended with Hell's Faire? if so, then yes, I agree.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #28
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Do you mean the main storyline, i.e. that ended with Hell's Faire? if so, then yes, I agree.
Yes, I was referring to the mainline story.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:54 PM   #29
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
David Weber/John Ringo - Empire of Man series
John Scalzi - Old Man's War series
Tanya Huff - Confederation series
Jean Johnson - Theirs Not To Reason Why series
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote