Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 04-20-2006, 06:52 PM   #1
winkler1
winkler1 began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 600
Util to Crop PDF's?

I'm trying to find a tool (preferably free), to crop PDF's, and get rid of margins... even on a 24" monitor, I hate wasting space, but it'll be doubly important if/when the ebook readers come out.

Does anyone know of one? I know full Acrobat can do it, but haven't been able to find anything in my googling.

Thanks
winkler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
micro
Connoisseur
micro doesn't littermicro doesn't littermicro doesn't litter

Device: STAReBOOK STK-101
If you are on a mac you can just use preview to crop either one or all pages. Assuming of course you are on a mac. If you are not, sorry I can't help you.

micro
micro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2007, 05:13 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I haven't tried it, but there is a perl script called pdfcrop:
Quote:
PDFCROP takes a PDF file as input, calculates the BoundingBox
for each page by the help of ghostscript and generates a output
PDF file with removed margins.
http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/support/pdfcrop/README
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:37 PM   #4
Nag
Nag began at the beginning.

Well, you can use Document - crop pages - to adjust the margins (makes it invisible) without actually removing the margins. If you want to remove the margins, try Document - crop pages - select custom in Change page size.

Nag
Nag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:52 AM   #5
_darius
Enthusiast
_darius began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Freeware...

Or you could use this:
http://www.pdfill.com/
the "tools" is freeware...
_darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
Mac Jones
Connoisseur
Mac Jones began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
just a heads up

I looked into this for the DX as it's very important (necessity). I have a Mac.
I tried a few things with varying success.

But it appears that good old Preview does it best

http://www.macworld.com/article/1392...eviewcrop.html

very fast and effective.
Mac Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
SoPDF will crop the margins, along with allowing other optimization choices for viewing on E-Readers. Free and open source (and hosted right here at MR.)

I think there are only linux and windows versions right now, though the source code is there and should be portable to a mac without too much trouble.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
laborg
Zealot
laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Just to be sure everybody knows ;-)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/

A x-plattform tool with gui to crop pdfs. (not image based!)
laborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
rocketgranny
rocketgranny is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Recently, I've had good luck with desk UnPDF. Does a very nice job of knocking out those %^$-Amber ABC headers & footers. (Free trial).

Regards,
RocketGranny
rocketgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
Starko
Zealot
Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Because often even and odd pages have different margins, sometimes it can be not as straight forward as one would hope to have best cropping. You can go for the lowest (or rather largest) common denominator but then you end up with too much white space.

When i have time and want to have the best output (least white space) i use Nitro PDF Professional. It allows to crop single page, range of pages and all pages combined with the choice for even, odd or both.

For quick crops I found one free utulity on the web with good graphical user interface (no command-line tool) called PDF Scissors which seems to be the easiest tool. Ans as it turns out this program was written by a fellow Kindle user!
It is impressive - first it scans all pages and overlays them graphically on top of each other - that way you can easily find optimal cropping size. You can preview your cropping by going through each page and adjust.

It's a java App, probably runs on all platforms. Brilliant for quick croppings!
Starko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #11
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Because often even and odd pages have different margins, sometimes it can be not as straight forward as one would hope to have best cropping. You can go for the lowest (or rather largest) common denominator but then you end up with too much white space.
BRISS automatically groups pages into categories so you can set crop regions for each. In the kind of situation you describe, odd and even would be put into different groups. It does the analyzing the grouping for you (though you can manually exclude page ranges from the grouping to handle them individually). In this case, I think the free tools are better than the expensive, commercial closed ones.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #12
scenox
scenox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Briss seems to be the best utily out there to crop pdfs
scenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #13
cian
Enthusiast
cian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs505
The best way I've found to crop PDFs is a two stage process. First of all remove all the bits of text (headers, footers, etc) with a cropper (I use Nitro because I have it, but Briss will work fairly well if it can read it). Just get it roughly right, and don't worry about white spaces.

Then run it through soPDF on mode 3. This will remove all the margins, leaving you with each page at its maximum possible size.
cian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #14
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
There are now a number of utilities that attempt to re-paginate letter-sized PDFs so that they fit better on a 6-inch reader screen, but work at the graphical level so that figures and formulas are not lost, e.g. k2pdfopt, PaperCrop, and pdfread.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #15
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
pdf scissors does an excellent job! It not only crops the files but removes the extra bits not included within the boundaries. Before I used to crop 50% from the right and save the "left" pages and then crop 50% from the left to save the right page and mix the two files alternatively. This worked but the resulting file was twice as big. With pdfscissors this doesn't happen.
entodoays is offline   Reply With Quote