Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #11506
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
On the edge of the main areas of snow, we keep getting light sleet showers. It's windy and chill, though.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #11507
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So it is cold here. Really cold. Right now at 12:58 pm it is -12 F (-24 C) right now. It got down to -20 F last night.

So here is a plea for any out there that might be able to give information, especially any plumbers. I just now for the first time today tried turn on the hot water in my kitchen sink. Nothing comes out. The cold water flows fine and in my bathroom sink and shower the not water comes on fine. I can actually see the plastic pipe, well tubing actually, that runs from the hot water heater to the kitchen sink and see no evidence of a leak. Not water pooling or dripping, the tubing runs in a crawl space under the house foundation. I am hoping that I won't have to call a professional plumber.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #11508
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I had a problem with a line freezing in an apartment. I would have to use a hair dryer to thaw out the line. As far as I know it never sprung a leak. The only way I could keep it from happening was to run the water very slightly, think a dripping tap, to keep the water flowing/moving through the line on really cold nights. I cannot remember if it was the hot water or cold water line.

Good luck. I hope it works out okay.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #11509
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
What red said:
1. Use a hair dryer carefully - NOT a small acetylene torch. Many people accidentally set their houses on fire that way.
2. Let water drip all night when the temps dip - hot water lines freeze faster than cold lines [someone will probably explain the physics of this] - the water bill is a small price to pay for hot water.
3. Insulate the line in the crawl space - foam pipe wrap is fairly cheap.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #11510
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
I had a problem with a line freezing in an apartment. I would have to use a hair dryer to thaw out the line. As far as I know it never sprung a leak. The only way I could keep it from happening was to run the water very slightly, think a dripping tap, to keep the water flowing/moving through the line on really cold nights. I cannot remember if it was the hot water or cold water line.

Good luck. I hope it works out okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
What red said:
1. Use a hair dryer carefully - NOT a small acetylene torch. Many people accidentally set their houses on fire that way.
2. Let water drip all night when the temps dip - hot water lines freeze faster than cold lines [someone will probably explain the physics of this] - the water bill is a small price to pay for hot water.
3. Insulate the line in the crawl space - foam pipe wrap is fairly cheap.
Thanks to you both. Last night I went crawling in my crawl space with a flash light and a borrowed electric hand hair dryer and solved the problem. This is the first time in all the years that I have had the problem. I think it was a combination of the days of very cold temperatures combined with almost no snow on the ground. Snow around the foundation seems to act as a decent layer of insulation.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #11511
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Thanks to you both. Last night I went crawling in my crawl space with a flash light and a borrowed electric hand hair dryer and solved the problem. This is the first time in all the years that I have had the problem. I think it was a combination of the days of very cold temperatures combined with almost no snow on the ground. Snow around the foundation seems to act as a decent layer of insulation.
I'm glad you got your hot water back. I forgot to mention the foam insulation. They are sold in hardware/home improvement stores here and are not very expensive.

Snow is a natural insulator.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #11512
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, on cold nights, open all the cabinet doors under your sinks (assuming you have cabinets under the sink) to expose the lines/pipes to room temp - the leak of warm air from the house into the crawl space can also help prevent freeze ups!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #11513
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Freaking cold here! Lows in the teens, highs in the 30's F! OK - it's not brutal - but it's the SOUTH - we're supposed to be warmer than the rest of the USA!

Cats are having fun with the faucets left dripping to prevent line freezes!

Snow/sleet expected on Friday - this time it won't melt!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #11514
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's only -25C and a -33C windchill this morning. Woohoo! Spring!
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #11515
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
It's only -25C and a -33C windchill this morning. Woohoo! Spring!
For you maybe. For me that is freakin cold.

Did you outsource some of your cold weather? That is the exact same temperature it is here this morning.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #11516
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Letting water drip is not a good idea ! It'll still freeze, and then spread back up the spigot.

Minus 2C, more snow overnight. Some sunshine and light winds. Sweaty work outside clearing !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #11517
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
20 degrees Fahrenheit, which feels like a heat wave after the last two days of single digits,and it snowed overnight (which wasn't really predicted, or at least not as much as we got). Now it's sunny, which means once the sun sets, it's going to get even colder.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #11518
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
It's a beautiful day here -- as long as you're on the warm side of the window. High temps in the teens, lows near zero. The sun is out with not a cloud in the sky -- so it should get real cold real fast after sunset. But it won't last that long.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #11519
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer

Currently -21C with a windchill of -26C...but the sun is shining.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #11520
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
-20C with a windchill of -34C. Dang that wind burns the face today.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds and lightning and, hugo and lefty