Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #61
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Perhaps I'm oversimplifing, but haven't MS simply bought off B&N's Android patent lawsuit?
Uh, *MICROSOFT* filed the patent lawsuit.
So, no; they didn't buy off any lawsuit.

If you check the coverage (especially the linked CNET reports) MS has been trying to license access to the B&N ebookstore for several years now. B&N was initially receptive but then changed their mind, around the time when they stopped licensing Nook store access to other ereader vendors.

What seems to have happened is that B&N needed to spin-off Nook to survive, couldn't do it with the lawsuit hanging over their heads, and they needed money fast. So they "caved" on the patent issue, got a cash infusion that lets them play with the big boys, go international, and *keep control* of Nook, plus a guarantee of a minimum revenue from the Win8 Nook app.

MS gets a Nook app for Win8, WinRT, and probably WinPhone 8 as a counterweight to the Kobo and Kindle Apps. (Given the revenue guarantees, it seems MS will get a slice of Nook ebook sales from the Win8 Nook Apps. But that is just a guess now.)

B&N gets years of guaranteed survival, MS beefs up their Windows Platforms.
Just adults transacting business like adults.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #62
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Businesses do not spend money on symbolic gestures.
Of course they do. PR departments, charitable donations, lawsuits, patent claims, new products (Chevy Volt), discontinuing partnerships or sales, all those types of things have as much to do with image as with earning more income.

However, that's not how I characterized it. My point is they did it to block their competitors from getting their hooks into B&N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor
Businesses do not randomly buy and sell companies.
I didn't say it was a random act. I said it's a calculated competitive move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor
Businesses -- the successful ones, at least -- have a plan to get from one place to another. Microsoft is evolving whether you like it or not. Buckle up -- it's going to be a wild ride.
Or not.

Recall the MSN Music Store and PlaysForSure; recall the "is the Zune an iPod killer?" hype. Think of how many billions of dollars MS had to throw at the XBox. MS is a tough competitor, but hasn't shown much aptitude with content. (Fortunately B&N has that experience, so as I pointed out, this could very well work.)

Again, look at the sources of their profits. They don't make money from entertainment or online services, they make it from operating systems and Office. For MS, content is a way to tie people into the platform.

This isn't about Microsoft expecting to earn $1.2 billion off of a 17% stake in the Nook or wowing the entertainment sector. It's about making sure Google or someone else doesn't snap up or partner with the Nook, and making sure that Apple and Amazon have another competitor with deep pockets.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #63
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
The xbox has been very successful despite entering a market dominated by Nintendo and Sony. Xbox now sells more consoles than either.
67 million XBox 360s sold

62 million Sony PS3s sold
71 million Sony PSPs sold
1.2 million Sony PS Vita units sold

95 million Nintendo Wiis sold
151 million Nintendo DS units sold
17 million Nintendo 3DS units sold

Nope.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #64
Wasgo
Connoisseur
Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
So will I be able to read all of my "old" MS Reader/LIT books on the Nook?
Probably not. And you won't be able to read your Nook books in 10 years if Microsoft comes up with a new DRM.
Wasgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #65
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
What seems to have happened is that B&N needed to spin-off Nook to survive, couldn't do it with the lawsuit hanging over their heads, and they needed money fast. So they "caved" on the patent issue, got a cash infusion that lets them play with the big boys, go international, and *keep control* of Nook, plus a guarantee of a minimum revenue from the Win8 Nook app.
That doesn't sound a million miles away from chucking a bit of money at a struggling company to buy off a (defence to a) lawsuit.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #66
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
scumbag Microsoft did not receive their share of money from B&N given patent claims on Android, thus went on to personally receive their money by other means.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #67
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
That doesn't sound a million miles away from chucking a bit of money at a struggling company to buy off a (defence to a) lawsuit.

Microsoft wasn't defending.
*They* were suing.
B&N was merely whining about the unfairness of those claims. And seeing the judge toss out all their motions. MS didn't *have* to give B&N anything.
They merely chose (for business reasons) *not* to drive them to bankruptcy.

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-02-2012 at 07:07 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #68
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
67 million XBox 360s sold

62 million Sony PS3s sold
71 million Sony PSPs sold
1.2 million Sony PS Vita units sold

95 million Nintendo Wiis sold
151 million Nintendo DS units sold
17 million Nintendo 3DS units sold

Nope.
If you aren't even going to try to understand the post you are responding to, then OK, you have me.

from People Who Do This for a Living...

Quote:
"Last year, Xbox 360 sales beat PS3 globally, despite its relative weakness outside the US. However, Strategy Analytics research indicates that PS3 is slightly more popular among core gamers than Xbox 360," comments report author, Jia Wu, Director in the Strategy Analytics Connected Home Devices service. "On the other hand, Xbox 360 appeals to a broader audience, as more consumers buy the Microsoft console for non-gaming as well as gaming functions."
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:35 AM   #69
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

Microsoft wasn't defending.
*They* were suing.
B&N were defending.
Now they aren't.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #70
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Last night I ate at a very nice, VERY tiny restaurant in Brooklyn, and the guy at the table next to me says to his companion: "so what do you think will come out of Microsoft's partnership with Barnes and Noble?" I nearly fell out of my seat. I didn't know that "real" people actually talk about these things. So fess up. Who among you had dinner at Rosewater last night??

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #71
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Last night I ate at a very nice, VERY tiny restaurant in Brooklyn, and the guy at the table next to me says to his companion: "so what do you think will come out of Microsoft's partnership with Barnes and Noble?" I nearly fell out of my seat. I didn't know that "real" people actually talk about these things. So fess up. Who among you had dinner at Rosewater last night??

eP
You didn't speak up?
Fbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #72
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
oops! That one was political.

Last edited by 6charlong; 05-07-2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: my bad
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #73
yoho
Banned
yoho began at the beginning.

Device: none
it's a strange cooperation.
yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #74
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
You didn't speak up?
Perhaps the focus was on a more captivating dinner companion.

(ElemenoP, you could have been listening to lawyers as well as e-reader enthusiasts unless there was more to that conversation than you've mentioned.)

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-07-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #75
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I don't know if they were lawyers or e-reader enthusiasts or what, I didn't hear much of their conversation (because I was indeed more focused on my own dinner companion). Anyway, I would never butt in on someone else's dinner conversation! And if I ever did, my husband would die! I think that in these tiny NYC restaurants where the tables are way too close together, you have to pretend that you have more privacy than you do. It's a fiction that we all maintain collectively.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote