Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 04:02 AM   #1
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
PB360 Charge or PC link

If you connect the reader to the PC and choose "PC LINK" over "CHARGE", does it mean the device won't be charged *at all*, is it a total either/or? Or *is* the device being charged on the sly while it's connected?
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:19 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
The device is always charged.

It you select CHARGE the device is not seen by a computer as an external memory device and you can read while the device is being charged.

If you select PC LINK the device is connected as an UMASS device - that is it is seen as a memory medium. You can not use it for reading while it is connected, because it just displays "Do not disconnect until you finish copying files" sign.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
ArchCarrier
ArchCarrier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 360
I think it's very odd that the question also pops up when I connect the AC adapter to the PocketBook, when there's no PC link possible
ArchCarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchCarrier View Post
I think it's very odd that the question also pops up when I connect the AC adapter to the PocketBook, when there's no PC link possible
That's right. I think that's because the USB connection is not smart enough in itself to make the distinction.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
Perhaps this could be solved with a little pingsignal through the usb. Cant you tell that the GfK ?
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 05:11 AM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulli View Post
Perhaps this could be solved with a little pingsignal through the usb. Cant you tell that the GfK ?
Yeah, good idea. I will transfer the suggestion.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Can I ask why it's not possible to keep reading while connected to the PC? With my iPhone (and I'm assuming many other phone and devices), I can connect to my PC via USB and transfer files/talk on the phone/read/play games/charge, etc all at the same time. Why with the PB360 (an other readers, from what I can gather) is it an either/or scenario?

This is my first reader and I've only played with it for one day so far, but that's one thing that really surprised me. While I was transferring some files across to test them out, I had to keep connecting and disconnecting to view the files.

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, I couldn't find anything about it.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:04 AM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
Can I ask why it's not possible to keep reading while connected to the PC?
If you want to be copying files then it is impossible to read and at the same times access the internal memory or a card through an USB cable.

If you want just charge your reader by connecting it to the PC or wall charger, then you have three options of how to read at the same time.
1. In options you can set if the reader goes the the "connecting" state or "just charging" state when connected to PC. Select Charge and you can read and charge at the same time
2. You can also select "manual" and have reader ask you every tine you connect it if you want to charge or transfer files.
3. finally. When you connect the reader and it goes into "file transfer mode" you simply switch it off and on again and you can read (but not transfer files at the same time)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:28 AM   #9
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Thanks for that, kacir. It was less about reading while transferring files, because that's relatively quick. It was more about having to disconnect from the PC link every time I wanted to check those files. Having said that, I probably won't be transferring only one or two files at a time and wanting to check them straight away much in the future.

So, while in PC link mode I need to disconnect the USB or reboot the PB 360 to access those files. I wish there was a shortcut button that just disconnected the PC link, but kept charging the device while reading, it would be much easier. Although, with the PB 360, it doesn't take long to reboot, so maybe that's unnecessary.

I have mine set to ask me each time it's connected to the PC.

Thanks again
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:35 AM   #10
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
Thanks for that, kacir. It was less about reading while transferring files, because that's relatively quick. It was more about having to disconnect from the PC link every time I wanted to check those files. Having said that, I probably won't be transferring only one or two files at a time and wanting to check them straight away much in the future.

So, while in PC link mode I need to disconnect the USB or reboot the PB 360 to access those files. I wish there was a shortcut button that just disconnected the PC link, but kept charging the device while reading, it would be much easier. Although, with the PB 360, it doesn't take long to reboot, so maybe that's unnecessary.

I have mine set to ask me each time it's connected to the PC.

Thanks again
If you turn the device off and back on when connected to your PC, it will start in the chrging mode right away. Please make sure that all transfers are executed before trying this. To get back to the data transfer mode, you'll have to unplug and replug, however.