Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-10-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
whizzy
whizzy began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
New Pocketbook 360 owner

I'd been holding off buying an e-reader because I couldn't find one that met my requirements. I wanted something no-frills (didn't have a need for wireless or a touchscreen), but the deal-breaker for all the other readers I looked at was the inability to read plain old HTML.

The 360 seemed like a perfect fit, and on the recommendations of many people on this forum, I went ahead and placed my order.

Got it all set up with the newest firmware and the spiffy version of FB Reader, and wow. This thing is great! The customization options are amazing, it's fast and reads just about anything I can throw at it. I've been testing it primarily with fanfiction, just a bunch of random files I'd saved to my hard drive at one point or another. It would have been a nightmare to convert them all, so I'm incredibly pleased that I can just throw the whole directory on the Pocketbook and be done.

I'm glad that someone finally made the device that was exactly what I was looking for.
whizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:12 AM   #2
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
You and I have very similar requirements and reading habits, it seems My Pocketbook arrived yesterday and I've been testing it out today with all my .html fanfiction files. I've only upgraded the firmware so far, the wrist page turn FB Reader thread confused me, so I haven't done that one just yet.

For fanfiction the PB360 is perfecct as far as I can tell! I haven't even tried a real book or PDF in it yet!
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 12:52 AM   #3
whizzy
whizzy began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
You and I have very similar requirements and reading habits, it seems My Pocketbook arrived yesterday and I've been testing it out today with all my .html fanfiction files. I've only upgraded the firmware so far, the wrist page turn FB Reader thread confused me, so I haven't done that one just yet.

For fanfiction the PB360 is perfecct as far as I can tell! I haven't even tried a real book or PDF in it yet!
Yup, the HTML support has really pleased me. I've only run across a few files that it won't display clearly, and I blame that on overly complex and bloated source coding. Now I just need to find some actual e-books.

As for the wrist turn FBReader, I had to read that thread a few times. It boils down to dropping the single program file in the system/bin directory of the device. Then there are two options that need to be set before it will work. The accelerometer needs to be set to auto in the main menu, and in FBReader, the rotate setting needs to be set to one of the 180 degree slow/fast options.

It works like a charm!
whizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:12 AM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, whizzy!

How exciting to have a new Reader! Have fun trying to decide what to read.

Just in case..
Did you know that MR has free ebooks? They have been beautifully handcrafted by some very dedicated MR members. ePub format and Mobi / prc format ebooks

Free ebook sites.. feedbooks.com and manybooks.net

Free and for purchase ebooks .. smashwords.com and baen.com Plus Baen has a free library

You can explore using Calibre to manage your library of DRM free books. and Kovid, the creator, frequents the forums here. We even have a dedicated Calibre forum.

Have fun in the forums and ask if you have any questions.

PS Check my signature and click on the links to find more information about books by authors on MR.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
karenr_nz
Connoisseur
karenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
Hi Whizzy,

I just got my PB360 (arrived on Wednesday) and like you, I have to say that I think it's awesome!

Karen
karenr_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
Jelena
Jelena began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 301
Congratulations to both of you!
And of course - http://www.gutenberg.org/ - lots of free e-books and audiobooks.
Jelena is offline   Reply With Quote