Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
What I would like to see, regarding firmware

I know nothing about what goes into firmware, other than I turn on my PEZ and read a supported book. Regardless, as an ignorant user, here is my wish for 2010.

A program that will create firmware, allowing you to custom include your choice of formats.

For example:

Should I choose Adobe's PDF or Foxit's?
Do I want Coolreader v2.x, 3x, or FBReader

Also, maybe I would like the ability to reader Amazon's Topaz format on my EZ Pocket Pro, I just to go Amazon's site, download the format reader (for a price, I'm sure). I also get B&N's DRM reader.

I then take all of these modules and bundle them into my firmware, designed to create firmware to be used by all the readers. A new device comes out, the program update will allow a BIN firmware file for it as well.

This would allow ANY device to read and purchase books and formats from their favorite sites and authors.

Feel free to rip this idea to shreads and ridicule me. I just built me a new computer, so I am feeling happy. You can't make me sad!:
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I know nothing about what goes into firmware, other than I turn on my PEZ and read a supported book. Regardless, as an ignorant user, here is my wish for 2010.

A program that will create firmware, allowing you to custom include your choice of formats.

For example:

Should I choose Adobe's PDF or Foxit's?
Do I want Coolreader v2.x, 3x, or FBReader

Also, maybe I would like the ability to reader Amazon's Topaz format on my EZ Pocket Pro, I just to go Amazon's site, download the format reader (for a price, I'm sure). I also get B&N's DRM reader.

I then take all of these modules and bundle them into my firmware, designed to create firmware to be used by all the readers. A new device comes out, the program update will allow a BIN firmware file for it as well.

This would allow ANY device to read and purchase books and formats from their favorite sites and authors.

Feel free to rip this idea to shreads and ridicule me. I just built me a new computer, so I am feeling happy. You can't make me sad!:
In some ways, that is what OpenInkpot and FBReader were trying to accomplish. Minus the DRM'd formats, of course.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Sounds sort of like ATVFlash for the apple TV. An addin that you install which extends Apple TV... lets you install other add-ins via the installer that it creates.

That said... what I would rather see 2010 bring is the realization that DRM is lame and useless at protecting Authors rights... everyone admits that it is vendor lock in and ALL vendors drop DRM.

After that they should decide that ePub should be the one format to rule them all and work to create the best open source ePub viewer that they all collaborate on common parts and then can customize as needed for their devices.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
The Swiss thought Modula was a good idea, too.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Sounds like router firmware. Well, that's Linux-based too...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert