Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 05:19 AM   #1
MLDaeni
MLDaeni began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 301+
PB 301+: my first impressions

My Pocketbook 301+ arrived yesterday and just wanted to say what a wonderful device it is. Thanks everybody that answered my questions in the other thread (about PDF rendering).

For the prospective people, here are my first comments:

Delivered in three working days from Germany. my-ebook-read.de: their website is 100% german, but I did well with Google translate.

How does it feel?
- Great built, looks sturdy and solid
- Much lighter than the Sony PRS600
- Wonderful non glossy screen, again, compared to PRS600
- Very fast (as fast as PRS600)

They got the PDF almost perfect for this size of the device:
- Autocrop margins and zoom work as expected
- Did not crush on me yet for quite complex documents with tables, layout and equations!
- Loaded some huge PDFs (~100MB) and they worked reasonably fast (2-3 seconds to load and less than 1s for turn page)
- DejaVu viewer is just great (fast and autocrop margins works)

ePub: nothing to say, they worked OK for me.

Downsides:
- Audio jack and USB connector is covered by a plastic protection that might break in time.
- DOC and RTF did not work for me (they use antiword to extract the text?). DOC: displayed only the first page, and RTF: messed up all the page format. After printing to PDF, everything was OK. Is there something I missed or I have to prepare the files somehow, before putting them to the device?

Two small questions:
1. I hear there are two PDF viewers (Poppler/Xpdf and Adobe), but I could not find a way to switch them in the menus. I must be missing something, but what?
2. When in 2-column mode (PDF viewer) is there any way to also crop document margins (or at least to center the column on the screen)? As is it now, a part of the zoomed column is out of the screen and I have to constantly shift the view left right to read, which is inconvenient. Again, I have the device for only 1 day, so I probably miss the evidence.

All in all: I am very satisfied with this reader (I will keep it), more specially with non glossy screen and with the PDF and DejaVu viewers.
MLDaeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:30 AM   #2
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
To open the book in PDF viewers / Adobeviewers (PDF) or Adobeviewers / FBreader (EPUB) is absolutely necessary for this book and keep a long time the OK button until the menu appears, where you can choose "open with ..." there you can copy or move files, as well as sort or search for files.

Last edited by Forkosigan; 12-23-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
MLDaeni
MLDaeni began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 301+
Thanks, I discovered the magic of pressing OK for a longer time in the file view: it opens a menu that lets you choose the PDF viewer (other goodies too, like file move or delete).

Pressing OK for a longer time in the PDF 2-page view, kind of offer a zoomed out view of the page that lets you choose the zoom of the "viewfinder" and to move it...
MLDaeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:30 AM   #4
Captain Hayes
Captain Hayes began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook301
It has to keep by two hands in transport. Could I somehow reset the buttons?
Captain Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hayes View Post
It has to keep by two hands in transport. Could I somehow reset the buttons?
You can reconfigure the keys if that's what you referring to: Configuration, key configuration and then reconfigure your keys.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 03:03 AM   #6
Captain Hayes
Captain Hayes began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook301
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
You can reconfigure the keys if that's what you referring to: Configuration, key configuration and then reconfigure your keys.
I'll try, thanks!
Captain Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote