Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-16-2014, 12:51 AM   #1366
mracct14
mracct14 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Does KUAL require registration with Amazon? When I run the KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 file on an unregistered, jailbroken PW2, I get an error message that the application cannot be started.

If registration is required, does the fake registration and firewalling process described here work?

For what it's worth, the PW2 is not stolen; I bought it new from a local retailer yesterday. I don't want to send Amazon the personal log files that I understand are sent by default every time you connect to a WiFi network.
mracct14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:22 AM   #1367
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mracct14 View Post
Does KUAL require registration with Amazon?
no.
Quote:
When I run the KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 file on an unregistered, jailbroken PW2, I get an error message that the application cannot be started.
Which jailbreak did you use? (name and link please)
What firmware version?
What is the **exact** wording of the error message?
Quote:
If registration is required, does the fake registration and firewalling process described here work?
Not required.
Of course it does, but that isn't your problem's solution.
Quote:
For what it's worth, the PW2 is not stolen; I bought it new from a local retailer yesterday.
This local retailer, was he working an alley and offering a special low price on the items he had stocked on the inside of his overcoat?
Quote:
I don't want to send Amazon the personal log files that I understand are sent by default every time you connect to a WiFi network.
Install the BBB (Block Big Brother) firewall for that purpose.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2014, 01:49 AM   #1368
mracct14

I used the Kindle Touch/PaperWhite 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2 JailBreak. The firmware version is
5.4.3.2. The exact wording of the error message is: "The selected application could not be started. Please try again."

Quote:
This local retailer, was he working an alley and offering a special low price on the items he had stocked on the inside of his overcoat?
No, I bought the PW2 at full price from a Best Buy.

Quote:
Install the BBB (Block Big Brother) firewall for that purpose.
Thank you. I am trying to install KUAL so that I can use the BBB firewall.

Last edited by mracct14; 11-16-2014 at 01:56 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:53 AM   #1369
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I used the Kindle Touch/PaperWhite 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2 JailBreak. The firmware version is
- - - -
Known problem, that firmware version is broken by Amazon.

Keep the device off the air (airplane mode 'ON') until you install the backdoor lock.

Then update (by manually side-loading the update package) to a firmware version known to work, OTHER THAN VERSION 5.6.1.

- - - -

Please update the device listed in your info. block.
(Mine isn't updated because I don't ask questions. )

6 7 8 9

Last edited by knc1; 11-16-2014 at 01:56 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:59 AM   #1370
mracct14

Thank you. I'll update the firmware.
Advert
Old 11-16-2014, 03:00 AM   #1371
mracct14

Can you let me know a firmware version that is known to work with KUAL on a PW2?

I've tried installing 5.4.4.1 and 5.4.4.2, but for some reason the PW2 deletes them when I eject the device. I tried forcing a hard reboot while still connected to the PC to keep them on the system so they would install at reboot but the updates failed (error 11). I think those updates should be compatible with my device (the first 4 digits of the serial number are 9017) so I assume the failures have something to do with changes I've made since (i.e., installing the jailbreak, installing KUAL and installing USBNetwork (without modifying any configuration files)).
Old 11-16-2014, 03:25 AM   #1372
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Try 5.4.5.1

You are trying to install KPW1 updates on a KPW2.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:39 AM   #1373
mracct14

Thank you. That did the trick.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #1374
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Released KUAL v2.5, which ensures proper behavior on FW 5.6.1, provided you're using the just-released version of the K5 JailBreak (>= 1.13.N).

If you intend to run FW >= 5.6.1, you *need* both of those things, or things will break in fun and interesting ways.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:34 PM   #1375
kelvinleungaz
kelvinleungaz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 (5.6.1, JB)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatton View Post
Problem solved. This time when I upgraded from 5.4.3.2 to 5.4.5.1 the "JAILBREAK" and "MKK" icons popped up and KUAL now runs. Don't know why they didn't before.
Same problem and same solution fix it!
kelvinleungaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:47 AM   #1376
ctlaltdefeat
ctlaltdefeat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Released KUAL v2.5, which ensures proper behavior on FW 5.6.1, provided you're using the just-released version of the K5 JailBreak (>= 1.13.N).

If you intend to run FW >= 5.6.1, you *need* both of those things, or things will break in fun and interesting ways.
I have a Kindle Paperwhite 2 on which I installed JailBreak 1.12.N (after downgrading my firmware appropriately), and KUAL 2.4. It now appears somehow that I've gotten the 5.6.1 OTA, and as you've said everything seems to be weirdly broken, where I can't reliably use KOReader, MRInstaller or anything.
I've tried to update KUAL to 2.5, but it hasn't helped, likely because I used 1.12.N. However, I believe I can't use an updated version of the jailbreak because I have 5.6.1 (unless I'm mistaken).
What can I do at the moment, or am I stuck in a position where I can't do anything?
ctlaltdefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #1377
knc1
Going Viral

I think your choice of user name is appropriate to this situation.

But wait for NiLuJe to have the final word in this situation of having an older jb installed.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #1378
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Is there a key combination to change the look of kual from bars to icons?
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #1379
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Glorfindel: Err, which bars?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #1380
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Each application has a horizontal bar that I navigate to and select to open the submenue.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified