Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
Lovecraft
Lovecraft began at the beginning.

Device: :o)
302's glare?

I keep reading that the 302's screen is, supposedly, almost like a mirror, with significant glare - or, at least, that it was the case with preview models, but that the screens would be replaced with better ones later.

Does anyone know more about that?

If I were to order a 302 from e.g. pocketgoods.de, would I be getting a model with a lot of glare or one with an improved screen?
Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovecraft View Post
I keep reading that the 302's screen is, supposedly, almost like a mirror, with significant glare - or, at least, that it was the case with preview models, but that the screens would be replaced with better ones later.

Does anyone know more about that?

If I were to order a 302 from e.g. pocketgoods.de, would I be getting a model with a lot of glare or one with an improved screen?
Improved screen is for April or so. What you will get is the original 302 with an antiglare sheet thrown in that does work rather well. You can replace the original glare screen to a matte one once they're available.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Yar-PocketBooker said he would announce it here when the new readers are in with matte screens for those of us waiting to order those.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
Yar-PocketBooker said he would announce it here when the new readers are in with matte screens for those of us waiting to order those.
Yes. I guess there will be a first delivery of non-matte screens like in Europe. Yar?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
Lovecraft
Lovecraft began at the beginning.

Device: :o)
Since the 302 is apparently being sold already - and, as I understand it, right now it's the version with the reflective screen everywhere - this really should be addressed.

While I don't expect it to happen, the proper way to do it would be to make it clear which models come with the non-reflective screens, e.g. by naming them "302+" or at least making sure that it's otherwise clearly and visibly mentioned - on the body, or at least on the box.

Otherwise, if I order the 302, I'll really have no guarantee that what I'm clicking on will be the updated model with the proper screen.
Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovecraft View Post
Since the 302 is apparently being sold already - and, as I understand it, right now it's the version with the reflective screen everywhere - this really should be addressed.

While I don't expect it to happen, the proper way to do it would be to make it clear which models come with the non-reflective screens, e.g. by naming them "302+" or at least making sure that it's otherwise clearly and visibly mentioned - on the body, or at least on the box.

Otherwise, if I order the 302, I'll really have no guarantee that what I'm clicking on will be the updated model with the proper screen.
The updated model will be the 602.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Yes. I guess there will be a first delivery of non-matte screens like in Europe. Yar?
Yep. Lil-glary sreens go first. BTW, I'd say this glare doesn't bother me at all... it's like with the loud clicks on 360 - first folks were making so many waves about them, but after couple of days of playing with the device you simply don't notice them at all. The same thing with glare - it's more ado about it than the glare itself)))
But anyway, the matte screen will be nice)
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:59 AM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
Yep. Lil-glary sreens go first. BTW, I'd say this glare doesn't bother me at all... it's like with the loud clicks on 360 - first folks were making so many waves about them, but after couple of days of playing with the device you simply don't notice them at all. The same thing with glare - it's more ado about it than the glare itself)))
Yes, I even prefer the "glare" screen because it is so amazingly sharp!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
PocketGoods
Banned
PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: PB360
Quote:
I agree with you. I read since february with my PB302, mostly in darkness with a reading lamp and I DO NOT SEE ANY REFLEXIONS at all!

Just try it yourself! If you do not like it and do not want to wait for exchange matt screen - just send it back.

Last edited by PocketGoods; 03-16-2010 at 08:53 PM.
PocketGoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
it's like with the loud clicks on 360 - first folks were making so many waves about them, but after couple of days of playing with the device you simply don't notice them at all. The same thing with glare - it's more ado about it than the glare itself)))
I beg to differ. Look at the images here. The display has glare and the background is dark (very grayish) in comparism to other current devices. "Lil-glary"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketGoods View Post
I agree with you. I read since weeks with my PB302 mostly in darkness with a reading lamp and I DO NOT SEE ANY REFLEXIONS at all!
You are using the antiglare sheet, right? Because without the antiglare sheet it's just impossible that you don't see any reflexions. Even with the antiglare sheet i doubt that one does not see any reflections. It's just physically impossible.

Well, i know that the matte screens will be available in some weeks and the antiglare sheets are fairly good (even if i was not able to install it air bubble-free) but i'm really surprised about some responses here. Imho a very glary screen is not a "non-issue" and it should has been addressed before mass-production was started.

Anyway, with a good(!) matte screen the device could become one of my favoured reading devices.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I agree with you. I read since weeks with my PB302 mostly in darkness with a reading lamp and I DO NOT SEE ANY REFLEXIONS at all!

Just try it yourself! If you do not like it and do not want to wait for exchange matt screen - just send it back.
I think you're exaggerating (a lot).

Speaking as someone who has no emotional investment in the 302, I have to say that the screen doesn't bother me either. I really have no reason not to abandon the 302 (if the screen bothered me), and I'm still using it.

P.S. Coming from me, the above is a ringing endorsement.

Last edited by Nate the great; 03-16-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #12
PocketGoods
Banned
PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I think you're exaggerating (a lot).
No comments

It is a little bit difficult to take pictures in this light conditions. So I could not set the sharpeness correctly. But, as you can see - no reflections in my particular reading surrounding (in my bed tonight)

Last edited by PocketGoods; 03-16-2010 at 09:16 PM.
PocketGoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
No comments

It is a little bit difficult to take pictures in this light conditions. So I could not set the sharpeness correctly. But, as you can see - no reflections in my particular reading surrounding (in my bed tonight)
Look at the photos I posted over here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69433

Even though the unit I have is _that_ reflective, I really don't mind.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #14
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I want one of these. Bad!

It looks a lot more matte than my Sony 600.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #15
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
It looks a lot more matte than my Sony 600.
It isn't - but the display of the PB302 is sharper than the display of the PRS-600.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote