Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Can I load personal apps to an IPhone/IPad?

Hi there,

I hope this is not a naïve question, but I can't find the answer to this particular question.

I'm a computer programmer. I know there is an Apple SDK. My question is if I can load a personal application to an IPhone or IPad. By "personal application" I mean that it is an app done without the intention to sell or share it in the Apple Store. So this is it, can I program an app and load it directly from my PC to an IPhone or IPad?

thanks
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Yep. You'd need a Mac (or a Hackintosh) and sign up as a developer (free).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You can also write a Web App. That does not require any permission or tools from Apple.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the answers. The signup will be easy, but the Mac part won't.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I could be wrong, but my understanding was that even with a Mac and the free SDK, you're still limited to running the apps on a software emulator - to sign it, even to put onto your own phone, needed the developer to sign up for the Apple Dev program at US$99/year...

Last edited by gwynevans; 05-19-2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Change $100 to $99
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
Falcao
Banned

I've heard the two versions: you can, you can't. Since I don't have an IPhone/IPad/Mac I can't test which version is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
I could be wrong, but my understanding was that even with a Mac and the free SDK, you're still limited to running the apps on a software emulator - to sign it, even to put onto your own phone, needed the developer to sign up for the Apple Dev program at US$100/year...
Old 05-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

Device: Sony 505, iPad 1 & 3, Galaxy Note 8.1
I am an Apple developer, to run your own app, you have to have the paid $99/year developer account.
adv_dp_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought the $100/year was only if you want to publish to the App Store? I don't remember it being required just to be able to "test" the app on your own device. Then again, all I've done is downloaded the SDK. I disliked OS X so I nuked the Hackint0sh install on my HDD after a month of intermittent use.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
OK, just to confirm, it's as I & 'adv_dp_fan' said, in that to run the app on real devices, you need to be a member of a Developer program (http://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/develop.html). Unless you're in an University Program, then it's probably the individual $99 program that would be needed. I guess the option would be to jailbreak your device, but I've not gone down that route.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:14 AM   #10
samuelarnold
samuelarnold began at the beginning.

Device: none
Apple put a lot of work into the new SDK for developers. You are lucky they aren't charging more for it than that, for all the wonderful tools the SDK includes.
samuelarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
What's so special about apple's sdk that would deserve paying for it ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
encapuchado
Banned
encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Sony Touch (650)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelarnold View Post
Apple put a lot of work into the new SDK for developers. You are lucky they aren't charging more for it than that, for all the wonderful tools the SDK includes.
Oh, I thought it was just Apple's insane hungry for control
encapuchado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelarnold View Post
Oh please, without all the apps in the App Store, the iOS devices wouldn't be as successful as they are now. Putting out a good SDK at a low barrier to entry is mutually beneficial for both Apple and the app developers. Remember, Apple also takes a 30% cut on app purchases so even if they're not charging higher outright for the SDK, they're getting their piece of the pie using another way.