Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-10-2011, 01:29 AM   #1
jlusco
jlusco began at the beginning.

Device: Adam
Just a Thought

I was wondering if anyone here would be able to port Calibre to android 2.2 and above i have seen tons of people who would love to see it for android
jlusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It is extremely unlikely for a numbe of reasons:
- It would be a mamoth undertaking for which you would have to find interested people to have the requisite skills and have the motivation to put the time. Current Calibre developers are more interested in enhancing the product on the current platforms.
- There are a HUGE number of dependencies that would also need porting. Most of the requirements (e.g. the latest Qt libraries) are maintained by 3rd parties
- Does Android even have a Python v2.7 environment (which is what most of Calibre is written in.
- Porting the C code also used in Calbre is likely to be an issue as Android does not (I believe) provide support for native C apps.
- Android systems are almost certainly underpowred and short of resources for running Calibre. This may well change ove time, but by then Android will have moved on from 2.2.

Of course someone is welcome to try and prove me wrong!
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert