Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 06-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
PeeBus
PeeBus began at the beginning.

Device: EBookwise 1150
Hello! Two Questions......

Hello all! I'm the proud owner of a brand new Gemstar GEB 1150 which I have migrated to EBookwise firmware. The device seems now to be permanently in "demonstration mode" and won't allow access to settings etc. It also changes pages automatically whether I'm ready or not! How do I turn this mode off?

Secondly, once I can access the settings, will I find the backlight settings there? Thanks.
PeeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hello, peebus, and welcome to MobileRead.

Someone more knowledgable will be answering your question, soon, I"m sure.

In the meantime, check out the free books available here for download, and continue to ask questions as they occur.

desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
back light settings

The upper right hand corner, where the icon is for a page with a couple of arrows, indicating screen rotation, is also where back light can be adjusted. Press on that and it brings up the adjusting thingy.

I am not sure about the demonstration mode though.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
PeeBus

Thank you, Amy.

I just bought my first book so I'm keen to start reading but I'll need to be rid of that annoying automatic page turning first!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBus View Post
Hello all! I'm the proud owner of a brand new Gemstar GEB 1150 which I have migrated to EBookwise firmware. The device seems now to be permanently in "demonstration mode" and won't allow access to settings etc. It also changes pages automatically whether I'm ready or not! How do I turn this mode off?

Secondly, once I can access the settings, will I find the backlight settings there? Thanks.
Have you tried turning it off, removing the battery, and reinstalling it? Sometimes thats a good fix.....

otherwise, where did you buy it, and is there a support feature?

Not being able to read off your brand new baby must be terribly frustrating!
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
PeeBus

The battery is not easily removed and tech support won't be open until tomorrow..............oh well
Old 06-01-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
The battery is not easily removed and tech support won't be open until tomorrow..............oh well
Best not to fool with it then. Let us know what you find out, if you don't get an answer from here soon, okay?
Old 06-02-2009, 12:00 AM   #8
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Yeah I don't recommend removing the battery!

Did you do the registration process with the phone cord and a LAN line?

Did you download the ebookwise librarian program?

I can't seem to find the demo mode on my mine, so I am wondering if you have old drivers?

I fear that is the extent of my general information.

I hope that you are able to get it figured it out!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
PeeBus

Yes, I'm running the Librarian. I've sent an email to EBookTechnologies. Should have an answer today.

The demo mode seems to be something a store display would use to show off a unit. The pages turn at a preset interval (about 5 seconds). Too bad I can't read that fast!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
I thuink you should re-register the device which resets all the memory and allows you to not be in demo mode:

-----
Turn the unit off. Then press and hold the page back button (bottom one) and while holding it turn the device on.

After the bookshelf gets rearranged, tap the top left menu (ebook guy) and then tap the Info icon. Tap the more icon (twice) and you should see the hidden menu. There is a refurbish icon that will wipe out any existing registration info. Do so now.

Afterwards, just power off and then power on again. Now under the Info icon you should see "Not registered yet" for User ID.

Now connect to your Online Bookshelf with your (new) ebookwise User ID.
-----
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
PeeBus

Sounds good, except will I lose access to the book I've already bought?
Old 06-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
PeeBus

Here's the answer from the extremely helpful folks at EBookTechnologies.com:

Oh, that's a secret! You just have to learn to read at the auto-page turn rate! :-)

Pretty funny, actually.

You can...

-- Power off

-- Hold the previous-page button down (bottom page turn button)

-- Power on

-- Keep holding the button down until the bookshelf shows up

-- Tap the upper left icon on the screen (eBook guy icon)

-- Tap Info

-- Tap more

-- Tap more

-- Tap "Stop demo mode" (or some such)

Let us know.

Best,
Garth

Last edited by PeeBus; 06-03-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Whoo hoo! Did it work??
Old 06-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #14
PeeBus

Bad news and good news. The bad: it did not work....... The good: they sent me a little file to override my preferences and now all is well. Thanks to Garth at EBookTechnologies, a gentleman and a scholar!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #15
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Great stuff. They are pretty good over there that's for sure!
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote