Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
It's here! It's arrived!

My new Sony PRS-505 came this morning around 10:30am so I've had a few hours now to play with it.

Pros:

Easy to manage on the Mac with Calibre (thanks Kovid).

Came with a half charge, took only 2 hours to reach full charge.

Didn't need to read any of the instruction manual, it was all very straightforward and logical.

Text is crisp, readable and I've already managed to get through about 50 pages in a quick sitting.

Took only a few minutes to forget I was actually using an electronic e-book and settle into the story.

Provided cover feels nice to the touch and is solid.

Cons:

Some covers didn't show up from Feedbooks downloaded books, although they were there in Calibre library. I did a quick convert to epub, leaving everything unchanged, but ticking the keep cover source from file box. Covers now working fine on those few titles that were giving me troubles.

All in all I'm very excited and pleased to say that this reader is perfect for me. Worth every penny.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Congratulations! (Now you can remove the "incoming" from your device ID.)
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Congratulations. We're all happy for you, and happy that YOU'RE happy.

Do you think this means you'll be spending just a little less time with us here because you'll be busy READING BOOKS?

Enjoy your new toy.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
Stacey34
Connoisseur
Stacey34 doesn't litterStacey34 doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505 (Red)
Congratulations! You are going to LOVE it!
Welcome to the club and happy reading!
Stacey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
MoeJoe has his mojo working now!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
Congratulations. We're all happy for you, and happy that YOU'RE happy.

I'm happy for MoeJoe too, happy that he's happy and happy for our hapiness in his happiness. We're all happy folks!

Now, MoeJoe, there's no turning back. My ereader changed forever my reading habits, format, everything.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Thanks all for the replies. I was using my iTouch to read on and trying to convince myself that it was good enough, well, now I have the Sony I really couldn't go back to the iTouch for anything other than a quick glance or short story on the move.

I don't know if it's the technology or not, but I think I'm actually reading on the Sony faster than I do with pbooks
Old 03-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
You have to take in consideration that each page turn in the ereader desn't equate to a real page turn. Depending on the font size, a 500 page pBook can be 1500 or even more ebook page turns.

But I've also noticed that I've started reading more since I bought my Cybook. Maybe it's because now I carry it around and read in situations I wouldn't before. Also, reading with your favourite font size and type helps.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I don't know if it's the technology or not, but I think I'm actually reading on the Sony faster than I do with pbooks
That is usually a perk of having the *Blue* Reader.

I noticed that read much faster after getting the Sony. Others have said the same thing.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Thanks all for the replies. I was using my iTouch to read on and trying to convince myself that it was good enough, well, now I have the Sony I really couldn't go back to the iTouch for anything other than a quick glance or short story on the move.

If I can do it, I load the same book on my iPhone that I'm reading on my 505. Since I always have my iPhone with me, that lets me get in an occasional chapter when I get stuck on line or at the doctor's office. Other than that, I read exclusively on my 505.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #11
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Welcome to the 505 club! heehee
My RED 505 is my best friend.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
am_mread
Head Goat
am_mread is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 11.
Sweet! Welcome!

I love my 505 as well.. I've been E-Reading way back in time on my Palm Vx (wish I could find my old ebook library), through my Windows Mobile Devices, to my iPhone, and now a PRS505.

I've not tried reading on my iPhone/Stanza since I got the 505 but it'll probably be kinda hard to get used to.

Enjoy!
am_mread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #13
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Congrats, Moejoe!

So now you can experience all the joy the rest of us have been sharing on here..

What was the first book you started to read?

Yes, I said started because I've found that I am now always reading between three or four books and a short story collection or two.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #14
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Congrats Moejoe. I wish you a lot of fun with your new reader!
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #15
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Congrats, Moejoe!

So now you can experience all the joy the rest of us have been sharing on here..

What was the first book you started to read?

Yes, I said started because I've found that I am now always reading between three or four books and a short story collection or two.
It is indeed a joy I never realised how much reading I'd been missing out on lately, just for want of something like the Sony. Sure, I buy in pbooks and have even read some bought books on the computer, but this truly is a wondrous thing to have. To carry around my whole library in a pocket! I feel like one of those people I used to see in the 'This is How the Future Will Look' picture books from when I was a kid

I'm currently reading 'Penal Colony by Richard Herley' and starting my once yearly Don Quixote reading ritual a little earlier than usual.