Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-16-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
Lofwyr23
Poker of bits and books
Lofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Tolino Vision 5
Glo keeps getting stuck after adding a large number of books

I'm pretty satisfied with my Glo (After having two warranty exchanges in one week... <sarcasm><3 to you to, Media Markt</Sarcasm>. There's a few nooks and crannys, which, except one, I can live with.

The one I cannot live with: I have a local library of about 3.7k books of Perry Rhodan novels and spin-offs.

Once I cross the line of avg. 1k books, the device refuses to wake up after being sent to sleep up until I do a pin prick reset, repeating the cycle until I go down below the magical number (which was different each factory reset, but not to far away from the aforementioned 1k). Removing the SD-Card (16GB, class 6 (I think)) they're on doesn't help, connecting the device to the PC won't either. A factory reset alters the number a tiny bit up and down (which way it goes seems a -censored- lot of random).

My Glo is currently at 3.3.0, it happened with .2.0 and .1.1 as well, though, so it's not a bug that was introduced with the current firmware.

Anybody have any idea about what could cause the lockup?
Lofwyr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofwyr23 View Post
The one I cannot live with: I have a local library of about 3.7k books of Perry Rhodan novels and spin-offs.

Once I cross the line of avg. 1k books, the device refuses to wake up after being sent to sleep up until I do a pin prick reset, repeating the cycle until I go down below the magical number (which was different each factory reset, but not to far away from the aforementioned 1k). Removing the SD-Card (16GB, class 6 (I think)) they're on doesn't help, connecting the device to the PC won't either. A factory reset alters the number a tiny bit up and down (which way it goes seems a -censored- lot of random).

My Glo is currently at 3.3.0, it happened with .2.0 and .1.1 as well, though, so it's not a bug that was introduced with the current firmware.

Not sure about this but on my Aura HD when I do a factory reset, it takes several hours to process the ~2000 books. Given you have close to twice that number of books your Glo is likely to take much longer.

My workaround for when I do a factory reset and processing starts, I connect my Aura HD to a USB charger and leave it overnight.

AFAIR, this issue started with the v3.x.x firmware. It does beat the prior firmware where it rescanned the uSD card when powering on.

Another possibility is that one or more of the books you are adding are being seen as corrupted by your Kobo and processing will stick there. You might try adding books in smaller batches to try to isolate the problem epubs.

Another possible solution is to check into using a different package to read your ebooks -- check in the Developer's Forum for information on how to install KoReader or CoolReader. I've used AdvBoot and KoReader though KoReader has it's own collection of quirks/bugs.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 05-16-2014 at 01:57 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
Just pre ordered "Written in My Own Heart's Blood",now I have concern
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
I'm pretty satisfied with my Glo (After having two warranty exchanges in one week... <sarcasm><3 to you to, Media Markt</Sarcasm>. There's a few nooks and crannys, which, except one, I can live with.

I use KOreader myself, I guess I got used to, or found a way around any quirks/bugs that bother "DNSB", but it is constantly improving so "bugs" get addressed quickly. An install guide. Included in the guide is a description of how to hide your ebooks from Kobo's processing.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #5
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Its not stuck, a large number of books can take hours to process. Turning your device off and on via reset just means it has to start over. Plug it in to a power source and let it do its thing. It can take hours to process the 5000 books I have so it takes time to index it and create a data base.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
Lofwyr23
Poker of bits and books
Lofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Tolino Vision 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not sure about this but on my Aura HD when I do a factory reset, it takes several hours to process the ~2000 books. Given you have close to twice that number of books your Glo is likely to take much longer.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but those are two totally different issues. Yes, the processing is slow, but it doesn't "freeze" the device.

I was running into a freeze. Every time I sent the reader to sleep, well after the processing had finished and I was already reading some of the books (which average at about 150kb).

Don't want to muck about with "rooting" the device just yet, plus I'm pretty fine with the device as is. Cept for that one bump.
Lofwyr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Well if it was freezing during wakup/sleep cycle the most likely cause would be a possible corrupt data base. That said its an easy fix log out and back into your account. Short of that factory reset. if that still does not fix it then it could be defective hardware going bad. At any rate overall the kobo product line is fairly decent as a reading devices (kobo arc is not included in this statement as its as much a tablet as it is a reading device) if all you do is read. If you want to surf the net then the kobo arc would be more the style I would think. Well let us know how you get on with it and if logging out and back into your account will fix things up. That will force the device to go through the processing the books again. But what that does is rebuilds the data base from scratch. you will not be able to use any of the caliber tools to replace the database from previous versions as that will only overwrite the new data base with the corrupt one. but from that point you will be able to back it up with a known good copy. I always keep two or three previous back ups just incase there is any corruption that was accidently copied over during the newest back up (sometimes corruption is not apparent for a long time)

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but those are two totally different issues. Yes, the processing is slow, but it doesn't "freeze" the device.

I was running into a freeze. Every time I sent the reader to sleep, well after the processing had finished and I was already reading some of the books (which average at about 150kb).

Don't want to muck about with "rooting" the device just yet, plus I'm pretty fine with the device as is. Cept for that one bump.

Where did you get anything about "rooting"? There is no rooting involved in installing the alternative reading software or the Kobo Start Menu. In fact the normal install of the readers, makes it so the reader is launched by selecting an icon in the same way as selecting a book to read. All your current Kobo software remains in place and functional, you just also have added Koreader, Coolreader, Games and utilities along side the Kobo software.

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-16-2014, 10:48 PM   #9
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Where did you get anything about "rooting"? There is no rooting involved in installing the alternative reading software or the Kobo Start Menu. In fact the normal install of the readers, makes it so the reader is launched by selecting an icon in the same way as selecting a book to read. All your current Kobo software remains in place and functional, you just also have added Koreader, Coolreader, Games and utilities along side the Kobo software.

Luck;
Ken
I think when he said "rooting", he meant non default setting.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:50 PM   #10
Smartie
Addict

but after I read through the thread. I still don't know whether anyone else experienced same issue eg read large book and Kobo got freeze.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:16 AM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
but after I read through the thread. I still don't know whether anyone else experienced same issue eg read large book and Kobo got freeze.
The major reason I've run into freezing was where some (expletive deleted) generated an .epub with a single data file. For the most part, many epub ebooks split the data on chapter or similar boundaries, however I've seen books where the entire epub data is contained in a single file. Opening the epub with 7Zip or similar archive tool or Sigil shows one .htm/.html/.xhtml file(s) plus a titlepage.xhtml file. Generally, I've opened the epub in Sigil and split the file on chapter boundaries and the problem goes away.

Regards,
David
Old 05-17-2014, 02:28 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I use KOreader myself, I guess I got used to, or found a way around any quirks/bugs that bother "DNSB", but it is constantly improving so "bugs" get addressed quickly. An install guide. Included in the guide is a description of how to hide your ebooks from Kobo's processing.
Since I use my Kobo to read epubs the vast majority of the time, I don't -- often -- need the ability of KOreader to handle other file formats. I do use KOreader and CoolReader due to a constitutional inability to not play with my devices. As the December, 1975 issue of Byte's cover stated: Computers: the ultimate toys. One of my favourites of Robert Tinney's covers.

Given that I use Advboot to run them so nickel never gets a chance to run at the cost of needing a reset/power cycle to change modes, I still manage to run into bugs such as the bleeping ereader not remaining in standby and the frontlight coming on by default. Not to mention the unusably small (for my tired old eyes) default status line in KOreader.

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Byte_Dec_1975cov1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	451.1 KB
ID:	123077  

Last edited by DNSB; 05-17-2014 at 02:31 AM. Reason: added image of the Byte Dec. 1975 cover
Old 05-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard

The latest builds of Koreader no longer have the frontlight coming on when it starts up. If I remember correctly you can select between "big" and small for the progress line at the bottom, plus there is probably a script that lets you set it numerically, there is for almost all such issues.

"Not remaining in standby", does interest me, as I use a slight alteration to the timing for the standby/sleep function in Koreader on my AuraHD 3.2.0. I have left it for a few hours and it was still in standby, but I usually only have it in standby for a shorter period. (The timing settings are around line 300 in "uimanager.lua", I use "timeout = 0" and "self:scheduleIn(2, ".) I use the home icon to exit out to tsherings "Kobo Start Menu" and use the "Power Off" selection for any extended period.

I used to read "BYTE" back in those days, as well (Even after Jerry Pournelle, started trashing my Epson QX-10.).

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
The latest builds of Koreader no longer have the frontlight coming on when it starts up. If I remember correctly you can select between "big" and small for the progress line at the bottom, plus there is probably a script that lets you set it numerically, there is for almost all such issues.
Unfortunately, I find small too small and big, well, too big. The standby issue tends to show up when I leave my Aura HD in standby overnight and find it's woken up when I look at it the next day. Not a major issue but a minor annoyance which are often worse -- major issues are likely to be fixed faster.

Quote:
I used to read "BYTE" back in those days, as well (Even after Jerry Pournelle, started trashing my Epson QX-10.)
The QX-10... that brings back memories. Mostly due to Roger Amidon's involvement with Rising Star. Though I noticed him more when he was with TDL and CDL. Loading TDL Z-80 BASIC from a tape reader and using TOP to pretty print. Entering your name into the text editor just to see what it would do.

Regards,
David
Old 05-17-2014, 10:13 PM   #15
Smartie
Addict

Does kindle have same issue?