Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
mmoreira
mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KindleDX
Question Disable 3G (Turn Wireless On) button.

Hi guys.

I give my old Kindle DX to my daughter, but I don't want she can access the internet from it, I want she is only allowed to read the books I pre-loaded on it (long story, hehe).

Anyone can point me how I can do this? I can jailbreak it or do any thing necessary, I just don't want she using the internet on it.

Thanks for the help guys!
mmoreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoreira View Post
Hi guys.

I give my old Kindle DX to my daughter, but I don't want she can access the internet from it, I want she is only allowed to read the books I pre-loaded on it (long story, hehe).

Anyone can point me how I can do this? I can jailbreak it or do any thing necessary, I just don't want she using the internet on it.

Thanks for the help guys!
Doing **anything** on a DX is risky, since if it bricks, it will be very hard to un-brick.

Anything that you can do, your kid can undo, but ...

With those cautions out of the way:

Disabling the button function might require modifying the firmware.

Easier, change the firewall rules.
The "stock" rules accept all packets out-bound from the device;
Change that part of the iptables rules to drop all packets out-bound from the device EXCEPT those using the USBnetwork interface.

You need to leave a "path" in/out of the machine so that you can clear/set your desired changes.
But see my second note above - your daughter will find it, someday.

You can "harden" that path by limiting the USBnetwork to ssh port **only** and then configuring the dropbear ssh server on the Kindle to do pub-key authentication **only** -
And then keep good, physical control of your copy of the matching key-pair key.

I can't give specific directions, I don't have a DX model myself.

Last edited by knc1; 09-10-2012 at 10:10 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
If she cannot (easily) join other networks, you could set up some restrictions in your wireless router, based on the kindle MAC address. That way you could allow disney.com or whatever and disallow all else. Some routers let you set time-of-day restrictions as well.

But that is all bypassed if the kindle joins a neighbor's open network. What knc1 suggested is probably more secure, although perhaps harder to set up.

EDIT: This is a DX. No wifi. Oops. [See my next post below].

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-10-2012 at 11:12 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
mmoreira
mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.mmoreira knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KindleDX
Hi, my Kindle DXI is the 3G version, so it dont use my home wireless, it uses the free 3g provided by amazon.

I don't want it have any internet. My daughter is not doing very well on the school, so I want to let she read books, but not use anthing on internet, including email, etc.

She also don't know much about computers, so I'm not worried about she undo the lock, but she can find and enable the Kindle Internet button for sure, hehe.

Well, I don't know to much about linux, so I guess I will need to think again how I will do this. I think there was some kind of tutorial about this, but now I think it's not the case

Thank you very much for your help guys
mmoreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh yeah, DX, no wifi. Oops.

If you do not mind missing a feature or two (collections), you could unregister it (either on the kindle or in your amazon account).

If you can open the back cover (carefully), you could unplug the 3G modem from its socket. This way will surely stop internet access.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-10-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No wifi?
I didn't know about that.

In that case, just unplug the 3G card, lock in desk. The firmware will survive.

Check in the DX index for links to teardowns, you should find directions there to open the case and find the card.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:18 AM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
# Tools required: Small Phillips Screw Driver, Small Flathead, exacto razor & Safe Open Tool (or w/e you have)

Gather all necessary tools and place your Kindle DX on a clean flat surface, use a soft cloth or towel to place under it.

Step 1

To get started, flip the unit over so we can remove the top grey plastic bezel.

There are 2 screws to remove in this step after the grey bezel comes off. see sub picture for screw removal location. the other one is on the opposite side. These arent hidden so they are pretty easy to get to.

After the 2 screws are removed, slide the back panel down towards the bottom of the unit. this will free the entire back panel.

Step 2

Now remove 22 more screws located on the back panel. Visibly shown here, not too much to do in this step, start unscrewing!

After all the screws have been removed, unplug the two speaker molex connections located left and right of the battery.

Now remove the white/black? bezel to reveal the Kindle DX System Board.

Step 3

Remove the 3 clips circled (SEE THE PICTURES IN THE LINK BELOW). There are also 2 screws remaining for the wireless card. A plastic bezel protects the wireless module screws, remove this by popping the clips.

Wireless card shown: (E727NV WN2)

Rip it out, put back together.

(you can get this info from http://www.rapidrepair.com/Merchant2...n=cp-kindle-dx) - the pictures are here too to go with this...

Not too many steps

doesn't look too tough. good luck.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:29 AM   #8
geekmaster

I like to use a credit card with a sharpened corner. You can damage a screen cable that runs next to the edge with a knife or blade. A guitar pick is said to work well too, but a credit card is easier to handle.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:45 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

He uses his guitar picks to earn a living, better he destroy a credit card.

Need I mention?
The antenna cable is delicate. Any tiny crimp or bend can ruin it. The snake-like bend you see in the pictures is about as sharply as it can be bent without the inner conductor pressing through the inner insulation. (Its a tiny, semi-ridged, bit of coax.)

The connector is a right-angle connector.

Insert the very tip of a sharp object between the connector base and the bit of metal connector that is slid over the projecting connector hub (stay away from where the cable joins the connector).

Gently work the connector up, off of the pin hub. You may have to "pick" at opposite sides of it to get it to slide up and off.

Last edited by knc1; 09-11-2012 at 04:56 AM.