Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Emmaleigh
Enthusiast
Emmaleigh began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
Those of you with large libraries, how are you organizing your shelves?

I keep about 200 books on the Nook classic for now, but would love to have more (there are more than 4,000 in my Calibre libraries). Generally I go through about 2 books a week at this time. Any good suggestions?
Emmaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Color me grumpy, but I say, "Don't bother." The shelves are temporary; they go away if you have to unregister and reregister — like, say, if you have to change your account password because it's the same e-mail address and password you used at one of the many sites that got hacked recently. Repeatedly setting up your shelves will probably make you crazy.

Personally, I have four shelves: Reading, Next to be read, To be read, and Finished. I generally have about 100 e-books on my NOOK at any given time. Reshelving those when I got a replacement unit (the ol' cracked bezel) was time-consuming enough.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
I rooted the nook and installed a library program that lets me browse by folders. I have calibre copy books over in the following structure: Author/Series/Book.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I actually don't have shelves. I do, however, have all my series (Poirot, Agatha Christie, etc) tagged specially in Calibre so that when i move them over, they show up in series order on my Nook.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
NikonErik
NikonErik began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I organize my shelves using similar categories as a bookstore or library. Fiction, Non-Fiction, Biographies, Fantasy Adventure, Reference Etc. I make more specific sub-categories as needed. Computer or Historical Fiction, for example.
NikonErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I rooted my nook and use calibre2opds and trook to manage my ebooks on the device. I have 4500 books on it.. it has cover flow and I can find any book with just a couple of clicks.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
(mostly)

I, too, have rooted my nook and use calibre, calibre2opds, and trook to access books on the nook. It works really REALLY well. In fact, it's basically the interface that B&N should have provided in the first place!

Xenophon

Oh yeah... the (mostly) is because I only have about 2200 books on my nook. My entire eBook library, every single book acquired through legitimate channels.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
SUSGOD
Connoisseur
SUSGOD began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre-eBook reader PRO
I set up shelves by genre; except for SyFy/fantasy. Since about 400 of my 500 e-books are in those categories, I set up a lot of shelves by author.
SUSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
richard_iii
Coder extrordinaire
richard_iii began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Once I have read it I store it on my NAS box via calibre and delete it from the nook color. So I only have a few books on my nook at any given time
richard_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I have ~ 550 unarchived books. I have a shelf for unread and a shelf for genres (subgenres, if I have a lot of books in that genre) represented in my collection. Some items are on more than one genre shelf (for example, historical fiction and mystery for the _Mistress of the Art of Death_ books), and pretty much everything passes through the unread shelf (although there is still a lot on it).

Now I have
unread
historical romance
contemporary romance
paranormal romance
erotic romance
historical fiction
science fiction
fantasy
arthuriana
women's fiction
fiction
classics
mystery
inspirational fiction
young adult
social science
biology
religion
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
rigorist
rigorist began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Fancy meeting you here!
rigorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #12
rigorist
rigorist began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Back on topic . . .

I used shelves for about two days. Never really liked them.

I use a Calibre plugboard to prepend the series name to the title when transferring. That seems to be enough organization for me with ~1400 books.
rigorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #13
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigorist View Post
Fancy meeting you here!

I think I TOLD you on TR I've been hanging out here a while.

on topic: I like the genre shelves because I can tell myself, hm, I think I'd like to read a fantasy novel now and I go to that shelf and see what I have. It helps when I don't know what particular title I want to read next.

Last edited by Joykins; 05-13-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #14
JKenP
Connoisseur
JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Kobo iPhone Kindle 8 HD
I am a KISS person. (Keep It Simple, Stupid) I manage my book collection in Calibre which lets me look at series, type, etc. I keep the books I am or will shortly read on the Nook. Calibre seems to do the better job of sorting to various fields. And, I don't have to do anything extra to accomplish that.
JKenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #15
BMW2002
BMW2002 began at the beginning.

Device: Color Nook, iPad
NOOK COLOR

I use Calibre, but not the others. I am especially frustrated because my series do not show up on my Color Nook as they did on my iPad. Running 1.2, I am not rooted but am willing to do so. Can you provide a link to the other programs you referenced?
BMW2002 is offline   Reply With Quote