Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #16
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
It's time for some global civil disobedience, I'd say...
Sweetpea, here is the proper Civil Disobedience answer. Make Jan 1 of every year Copyright Boycott Day. Don't buy or see anything that has a copyright that day...

So... no movies out, no TV, and no copyright books or music. Sort of like our national Smoke-Out day to stop smoking for one day.

Legal, and hits the big copyright holders in the wallet.....

RSE
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #17
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Doc Savage

Ralph Sir Edward - "Now if some Canadian server would do all the Lester Dent Doc Savages."

[link deleted]

Please do not post links to illegal material.

Thanks,

Last edited by HarryT; 01-01-2010 at 12:42 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #18
Gummby
Enthusiast
Gummby began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, GEB1150, Treo 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Welcome to the Canadian public domain, Raymond Chandler. Anyone feel like scanning some of his works and uploading them?
I have the Everyman's Library collection of his short stories, and would be happy to proofread texts for someone. I'm in the U.S., and that book is in copyright, so that's the best I can do.

Last edited by Gummby; 01-01-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: corrected misspelling
Gummby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #19
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
Ralph Sir Edward - "Now if some Canadian server would do all the Lester Dent Doc Savages."

[link deleted]

Please do not post links to illegal material.

Thanks,

I don't know what the links were links to, but if they were novels by Lester Dent, surely all his works are now out of copyright in Canada, since Lester Dent died March 11, 1959?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #20
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I don't know what the links were links to, but if they were novels by Lester Dent, surely all his works are now out of copyright in Canada, since Lester Dent died March 11, 1959?
Correct, pdurrant, but the link might have been a generic "pirate" site, with many other in copyright works.

The Chandler link only had Chandler works, period. And they left off the posthumous Poodle Springs, which is correct...

I was just hoping somebody had done a Lester Dent site, strictly according to the Canadian copyright law, (and other dead Doc Savage ghosts who died before 1959).

Here's the list of those Doc Savages and their authors that didn't go PD in Canada today.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62270

Last edited by Greg Anos; 01-01-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #21
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
They did, it would appear. Again it would be good to have well-done versions, similarly.

A good job for Project Gutenberg Canada sometime I suppose, or somewhere like that.

http://lesterdent.bravehost.com/index.html
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:40 PM   #22
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
They did, it would appear. Again it would be good to have well-done versions, similarly.

A good job for Project Gutenberg Canada sometime I suppose, or somewhere like that.

http://lesterdent.bravehost.com/index.html
Blow white smoke up the chimney...Let me check the titles to make certain they have left out the non PD titles....
Old 01-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #23
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

It's a good news/bad news deal. They seem to have limited themselves to only the valid PD Docs (The Yellow Cloud is iffy, but probably meets the PD requirements. It was believed to to be written by Dent's secretary, but as a work for hire for Dent. And there's no absolute proof she wrote it...)

That's the good news.

The bad news is they are all TXT files. That means, no images and no italics, unless they were in UTF-8 where italics were marked with underscores...(I can't look, legal reasons....)
Old 01-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #24
captcrouton
Connoisseur
captcrouton has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
So coming as a non-pirate who loves content, can someone explain copyright laws on a practical level.

I am an American citizen.
I live in Ukraine.
I do alot of international travel.

It seems to me I that I should live according to the laws of the land where I'm at. That would be respectful of that particular nation.

But due to copyright policies, when I'm in Ukraine, I can't legally pay for content from itunes, or watch say, the Office on NBC's own website. Can't watch Hulu, can't do much of anything, even with my American credit card and American mailing address.

I haven't pursued this fully. I simply want to watch the same tv shows I'd watch if I was at home in the states. And unfortunately I have taken the dark web route when someone happened to have the media available.

So when it comes to books, am I allowed to download public domain works according to Ukrainian law while I'm residing in Ukraine? If so, must I delete them every time I cross the border? Obviously that won't happen, but on paper, is that what's expected of me?
captcrouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #25
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
It's a good news/bad news deal. They seem to have limited themselves to only the valid PD Docs (The Yellow Cloud is iffy, but probably meets the PD requirements. It was believed to to be written by Dent's secretary, but as a work for hire for Dent. And there's no absolute proof she wrote it...)

That's the good news.

The bad news is they are all TXT files. That means, no images and no italics, unless they were in UTF-8 where italics were marked with underscores...(I can't look, legal reasons....)
Yes. It is entirely possible that Canadians could find fancier versions in the usual places, I'd imagine.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #26
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Now if some Canadian server would do all the Lester Dent Doc Savages. I've heard the old blackmask versions were well edited.....
Yes, they were fairly good. As were the Shadow releases.

Blackmask was "last man standing" on this stuff. Conde Nast claimed they had the rights, and sent a lawyer to talk to Blackmask's proprietor. The lawyer said "You can walk away from this with no muss or fuss: just remove that content and we'll be happy." He refused, and chose to fight it in court, using a defense that Conde Nast had effectively abandoned the properties and forfeited any rights by making no attempt to do anything with them for many years. Unfortunately, the defense didn't fly, and Blackmask went off the air rather suddenly, as the server got confiscated.

The discovery phase of the case was interesting, including details on how the rights to a lot of stuff had been bought for a song from Lester Dent's grieving widow by lawyers for the original publisher who cared nothing for her plight and simply saw an opportunity to get the stuff cheap.

Conde Nast was under pressure to generate revenue, and latched onto the Shadow and Doc Savage, because Sony was interested in possibly licensing them for film properties with 8 figure licensing fees. Couldn't very well let it lapse into PD and forfeit the license money...

Blackmask went away, but the process seems to have insured that CN won't be able to keep the rights a lot longer. Meanwhile, Blackmask was reborn as Munseys, minus the offending content. And I believe the old Blackmask CDs and DVDs that included the Doc Savage and shadow stuff are available via Bit Torrent...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #27
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
With all due, respect... meh.

1) IMO, automatic assignment of copyright is a huge boon for artists and writers. For example, a photographer might easily knock out 100 images in a single day. Should s/he fill out a form for each day's work? Or each image, perhaps? Or, a screenwriter can circulate a draft and numerous revisions, without needing to manage a ton of paperwork in order to protect that draft. Automatic assignment of copyright without the need to fill out paperwork is a tremendous benefit for individual artists.
Concur. One of the benefits to the US finally becoming a signatory to the Berne convention was automatic assignment of rights.

It's still a wise idea to register the copyright and pay the fee to the Library of Congress, but that's just because it formally establishes a date of copyright, and allows you to sue for a lot more damages if you find infringement. But it's no longer necessary to do that to have a copyright in the first place.

Quote:
2) While copyright may be too long, the idea that these terms are "destroying culture" is hyperbolic and absurd. E.g. hip-hop is a form of music that heavily relies upon sampling other recordings, and has obviously flourished despite the requirement both to get permission and pay royalties on those samples.

Obviously there are issues like the status of orphan works that require further refinement via legislation. But we are also living in an age where the average life span is far longer than it was in the 1700's and 1800's, where 28 years was a common copyright term; ergo, it makes sense to have terms that are, at a minimum, longer than that....
You can point the finger at DisneyCo for a lot of the current pushes to increase copyright length. They were trying to insure Mickey and Company didn't lapse.

My own feeling is that the simple solution would be distinguishing between an individual and a corporation. Copyright is currently life + 50 years, or life + 70 years, depending on where you are. So how long does a company like Disney live? As far as I'm concerned, they can have the rights to Mickey and company for as long as they exist, and that can be handled under current law without extending the copyright period.

The same would hold true for works done under a "work for hire" contract. In that case, the writer is working for a fee (and probably royalties), but the rights are held by the employer.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:57 AM   #28
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
If it were up to me, it would be "use it or lose it" even before the statutory term of copyright expires.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:17 AM   #29
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
South African copyright seems to be similar to Canada. It states life +50 years, or +50 years after first publication.

So if I understand it correctly a work can become PD even though the author is still alive provided it's been 50 years after first publication.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:52 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
South African copyright seems to be similar to Canada. It states life +50 years, or +50 years after first publication.

So if I understand it correctly a work can become PD even though the author is still alive provided it's been 50 years after first publication.
Not in Canada. Canada is a simple "life + 50" - items enter the public domain at the beginning of the year following the 50th anniversary of the author's death.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote