Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
bug ? calibre epub viewer shows old title

choose a book - change it's title from OLD to NEW via edit metadata
select view (epub default). the viewer has OLD names in it's top border.
where is it getting that from & what will force it to update - apart from completely closing calibre ?

i thought maybe that viewer was using data in jacket.html within epub but I remove that, save , view, still see OLD name ?.

PS thread title should say bug, not nug

Last edited by Manichean; 02-28-2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: fixed title
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I guess when the viewer gets called it just opens the book file from the library directory. Metadata in the files themselves is only updated on conversions, as far as I know.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

so where do you think the old data is still held - in metadata.db, or in a file in the book title subdirectory.

I can't see the old data anywhere in the book.epub, and the issue persists after converting that epub to mobi so I doubt that it is in the .opf file in the book folder either. The epub file name reflects the changed title.
but if I view the .mobi conversion output with same viewer - I see the NEW title., view the epub again, see OLD title

can you reproduce , & then debug this better that i can.

I just know that if I report it as a bug, Kovid will come back with a reason as to why it isn't - happens every time :-(

ps. nug now reads bug - tick, thanks. caliubre is yet another title typo.

PPS I looked in my backup library. OLD was the file name, before I edited the book metadata i.e. in my backup the book file is OLD.epub. in my current library it is now NEW.epub, but shows as OLD in viewer.

Last edited by cybmole; 02-28-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

I just tested this:
Picked a book and viewed it to confirm that the metadata in the book (ePub) is consistent with the metadata in the DB (I'm using the Calibre ebook viewer to read in-file metadata via the "i" button). Edited metadata and re-viewed the ePub, the data is the old metadata (this is, as I wrote expected behaviour). Converted to Mobi (I didn't want to overwrite my ePub) and viewed the Mobi file, the metadata is the edited metadata (Again, this is expected behaviour).
The file names would of course change, since Calibre needs to keep the library folder structure in sync with its database. I forgot to monitor that during the test, but a quick metadata edit confirms this.

I'm not totally clear on what behaviour you're seeing, in your last post you mentioned seeing no sign of the old metadata in the ePub file, implying that Calibre updated the in-file metadata during your edit? Also, the metadata in metadata.opf is kept current the same way the file name is kept current.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

you confirm what I am seeing - when I insepct filenames ( via open path) I see new.epub in my working library, old.epub in my backup library, so I deduce that using edit metadata cause the epub book files name to change ( but not any of its contents)
I don't know how much about .opf file format, but trying to read it in notepad indicates that it holds NEW title...

I did suspect jacket.html as mentioned before but removing that & saving with sigil does not change the viewer behaviour. the OLD title was in jacket.html but that's now gone .
so the viewer can't be getting its info from there.

the i button shows NEW metadata. the epub file name is NEW, calibre's metadata.db I assume matches NEW metadata. where is OLD title hiding out ?

AHA - via tweak epub - the OLD title is in toc.ncx. I thought sigil zapped & replaced that; obviously it does not do a thorough job, I see OLD title in sigil F8 meta editor also.

so you reckon this will not update until such time as I do an epub to epub convert in calibre, or a send to disc/device operation ?

I don't much mind if that is the case, but i expected edit (book title) metadata to update all relevant locations - i guess it doesn't because calibre maintains a distinction between book & metadata, & only touches the former when asked to convert ?
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
i expected edit (book title) metadata to update all relevant locations
Calibre only updates its own metadata: metadata.db, metadata.opf and directory/file names, not internal book metadata. The internal metadata is only updated when you export the book.

Quote:
calibre maintains a distinction between book & metadata, & only touches the former when asked to convert ?
When converting and when it exports the book in any of several ways.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
you confirm what I am seeing - when I insepct filenames ( via open path) I see new.epub in my working library, old.epub in my backup library, so I deduce that using edit metadata cause the epub book files name to change ( but not any of its contents)
I don't know how much about .opf file format, but trying to read it in notepad indicates that it holds NEW title...
Well, then everything works as it should.

Quote:
so you reckon this will not update until such time as I do an epub to epub convert in calibre, or a send to disc/device operation ?
That is my understanding.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #8
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
The viewer's Title bar is getting the title from the <dc:title> element in the opf file in the epub, thus it will show the old data until it's updated by conversion
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard

surely it would be better design for the viewer to read & use current metadata ?
Old 03-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
surely it would be better design for the viewer to read & use current metadata ?
That would complicate things programming wise, as you'd have to differentiate between opening books from the library, where the current metadata should be read from metadata.db (which the ebook reader would have to have support for in the first place) and opening books anywhere else, where the metadata would have to be read from the file.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

OK, but I didn't say "easier", just better - at least when the calibre viewer is activated by selecting it from toolbar WITHIN calibre main program, it would make sense for it to use the current title from metadata
Old 03-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I would +1 the "better" comment for if the behaviour was changed.

Until I eventually figured out what was going on when I first got Calibre I was constantly confused as to why the title in the viewer window frequently bore no relation to the title in Calibre.

The only time I found this to be a problem though is when you are trying to resolve duplicates, and you open up two different versions of an EPUB say. You have to be very careful to remember which order you opened them in and which Calibre row you had clicked on. Whereas if it used the title from Calibre this would be a lot less painful. Re-generating a book just so you can open it with the right title when you are about to delete one of them anyway isn't the best solution imho.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote