Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-01-2007, 02:02 AM   #1
Detour
Lurker
Detour has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS 500/505 (blue) / iPhone / Kindle (gave away)
New USB Cord?

I need to replace the USB cord to transfer books to my Reader. I've searched the Sony site without success in finding one. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas?
Detour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:31 AM   #2
gr8drd
gr8drd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
You don't need any special USB cables. Any standard USB cable will do. I'm using one that came with my MP3 player.
gr8drd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2007, 04:13 AM   #3
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Yup, me too! Using the USB-to-USB_Mini that came with my PS3, no problemo. Save yourself some cash and pick up one from a friend or somewhere cheap & local.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:59 AM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yeah, any USB-2-USB-Mini cable works.

But did you guys notice that the original Sony cable has a resistor? I accidently tried to attach my external 2.5" USB hdd to it, but it didn't work because it would limit the power from the USB port.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:05 AM   #5
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I use a retractable USB cable with 4 different tips kit I got at a local drug store for $15 USD. Works great and keeps itself much neater than the Sony cable.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2007, 08:17 AM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can also try CompUSA, Best Bu, Circuit City, and NewEgg
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Digital Camera cables like HP's are identical.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The black object on my USB cable was not a resistor but more of a choke to limit the RF interference from and to the device.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:20 AM   #9
Detour
Lurker
Detour has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS 500/505 (blue) / iPhone / Kindle (gave away)
Thanks! My camera cord does work. I never even thought of trying it. Duh!
Detour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:29 AM   #10
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
The black object on my USB cable was not a resistor but more of a choke to limit the RF interference from and to the device.
I believe you, but then, why didn't my external 2.5" HDD work with the Sony cable (Windows not recognizing it and warning in tray tooltip), but it would work with any other of my USB cables?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:55 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That is interesting, TadW ... the only thing I can think of is perhaps the Sony cable isn't a fully compliant cable? I mean that perhaps the Reader doesn't require a fully compliant cable, but will work with one just fine. I'll have to check if my camera will work with the Sony cable, I already know the Reader works with the camera's cable.

That's really odd.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #12
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
On another device, I was told it consists of a loop in the cable with a magnetic surrounding one part of the loop. In fact I have another USB cable where you can see the loop & a plastic tiedown holding the magnet(??) in place on the cable. The Sony cable has the "knobben" all encased if they are the same. And as RWood says, it has to do with RF emissions. Don't personally have the expertise to understand how it may work or why. Possibly elliminates noise problems on the line.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It's not a magnet, but it is a ferrous lump of ... something ferrous, I suppose. It's usually kinda like a hard version of pot metal.

My extremely tenuous grasp of the theory is that it works something like a very low value inductor, trapping the noise out of the cable -- but mine is a very, very tenuous grasp, indeed, it's been way too long.

The short, practical version is that it reduces the RF noise on the line, which, of course, improves the signal to noise ratio.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:24 AM   #14
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Lol, two observations here from my experience:

1. When I mentioned earlier that I had used an existing USB-to-USB_mini cable to sync my Reader, it turns out that that cable is used by my PS3 to charge its wireless controller. After reading about the said lump in question, I went back and checked that cable; turns out that it has one too! I had no problem syncing with that cable and it appeared to charge, though I can't be sure as I had to charge it again about a week later (been doing a ton of fiddling with it and such).

2. A few years ago I purchased an external DVD/CD-writer for my TabletPC, I had picked up a Sony since it also could double as a portable CP/MP3 player (had a RioVolt prior to the whole iPod movement) and felt it could do double-duty. Waste of cash, as I never really used it due to my preference for daemon tools. Anyway... the Sony portable actually came with about 6 ferrite dohickies to snap onto the USB cable to "reduce interferrence."

So that being said, I think Sony is a firm believer that it's products are highly succeptible to some type of interferrance so it provides some type of magic bean to mitigate this issue. Perhaps an EE person with some experience in this phenomenon can enlighten us to the theory/reality of this head-scratcher? Thanks for listening!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:44 AM   #15
RWood
Technogeezer

Perhaps Sony doesn't believe in the quality of other's RF emissions. It will also cit down what the Sony emits so it can pass FCC muster.