Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Dalek Fred
Dalek Fred began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS650
A reader for comics

Hello all!

Well, I did some research, but have been unable to find just what I want, so hope you all can help me.

I have been happily using my PRS650 for books and manga for a few years, all the while occasionally adding to my collection of e-comics with the thought of eventually getting a tablet or something to read them in color.

The time has come! I'd like to get something (prolly LCD, of course) that has at least a 9" screen, can handle CBR and CBZ, can install a comic-reading program, and isn't more than $250.00 US. I don't really need a full-fledged tablet PC, since I'll only be using this to read comics and magazines on. Wifi isn't necessary but side-loading is.

Is there basically an LCD eReader with a big screen out there? Or a not too expensive tablet that will handle comics and magazines regardless of how sucky it is in other respects?

Any help is appreciated!
Dalek Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Used Asus Transformer or other Tegra 3-based 10.1" Android tablet.

HP TouchPad (9.7" 1024*768) works great, too (after installing CM10), and I think it goes for around $100-150 used. Caveat with the TouchPad, no expansion slot.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
I would suggest that you look at the kf hd 8.9 or the similar-sized or an older ipad rather than a 10.1" android tablet as the w/s ratio makes those tablets a bit too tall and less comfortable than they could be when used in portrait mode.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Try the Kindle Fire HD. it's really good!
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote