Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
fishcube
Connoisseur
fishcube began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 5
Sony 505 covers?

What is the cover like that come with the 505? What's the difference between those and the two other colors you can order seperately? anything?

What are the covers made of? Do they flip to the backside easily?

Looking to buy a 505 within a few weeks hopefully. It will be my first ebook reader. I love reading and love electronics so I know I will love the 505.

Sharon
fishcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The cover that came with my silver PRS-505 is a coffee tan on the outside and grey on the inside. The cover is slightly magnetic to keep the lid closed and the back of the cover connected to the back of the device. These are very weak magnets and can't be relied upon to keep the cover closed in the event the device accidentally becomes airborne.

I don't think the stock cover is leather, but I'm not 100% certain. The aftermarket ones from Sony are leather.

The aftermarket covers have room behind the device for a business card, a memory card, and a loose document such as a boarding pass (as pictured on the Sony website).
The stock cover has no such features.

I think the blue PRS-505/lc device comes with a different colored cover. At least, that's the vibe I got from the marketing material on the PRS-505.

The cover is nice enough. I wish it had either much stronger magnets, or some kind of latch to keep the cover closed.

I kind of wish they had a more stealthy cover. One that gave it the look of a journel when closed. A white edging that gives the innards a paper look when closed. The chrome top and bottom edges of the device are very reflective and combined with all the top and bottom connectors and ports screams "electronic device enclosed".
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2007, 11:55 PM   #3
fishcube
Connoisseur
fishcube began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 5
Thanks for the info. Anyone have one of the leather covers for the 505?

I looked at photos of leather covers at sonystyle and it looks like the pockets are on the back side, behind the 505? How does this work if its magnetic?

Sharon
fishcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:04 AM   #4
starship
starship began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 680/Sony PRS 500/Apple iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
I kind of wish they had a more stealthy cover. One that gave it the look of a journel when closed. A white edging that gives the innards a paper look when closed. The chrome top and bottom edges of the device are very reflective and combined with all the top and bottom connectors and ports screams "electronic device enclosed".
Couldn't agree more!
starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcube View Post
Thanks for the info. Anyone have one of the leather covers for the 505?

I looked at photos of leather covers at sonystyle and it looks like the pockets are on the back side, behind the 505? How does this work if its magnetic?

Sharon
The cover for the 500 is magnetic all well. That's how it closes. There a magnetic strip on the right edge of the cover (when it's closed).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2007, 10:48 AM   #6
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The cover for the 500 is magnetic all well. That's how it closes. There a magnetic strip on the right edge of the cover (when it's closed).
I think he was asking about the aftermarket leather covers for the 505. With all the junk on the back for holding business cards, memory and whatnot... does it still cling to the back of the device magnetically like the stock cover does?
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote