Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 12:44 AM   #1
casualt
Edge User

Lightbulb The ability to have a custom image on the e-ink side when it is shut off

It would be really nice feature to be able to pick a page from a pdf / gif / jpg / etc.
And that have that show up on the e-ink screen when the device is powered off.

Obviously this could be used in the individualistic/artistic sense (ie. like a desktop wallpaper), and then you could leave the device off/sitting around with the e-ink side out/up.

However, it could come in handy if you wanted to have the device off but still have a piece of information up in a more permanent manner (eg. map, other handy things I have not thought of).

That is just my 2 cents. (maybe you can already do this and I just missed that menu)

Old 04-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
Steed
Edge User

I second that. I think it would be a great feature to have.

Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
ckole
Edge User

I vote yes. The Nook has this feature

Old 04-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
kenjennings
Edge User

Maybe this is just a matter of locating a file and replacing it.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
mgm1979
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjennings View Post
Maybe this is just a matter of locating a file and replacing it.
my thoughts exactly - I like the idea though...

Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm1979 View Post
my thoughts exactly - I like the idea though...
I did a search of the filesystem using Better Terminal Emulator Magic. There are a lot of directories I didn't have permission to view, so I likely missed something. Couldn't find any jpeg or gif files other than what I have on the external SD card. It did find a lot of png files. Haven't have time to inventory them, but they mostly appear to be icons for the reader and journal.

Update: Did not find any png files on the system that were anything other than button/icon graphics for the reader and journal.

I found some links about changing the boot image:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=443431
http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.ph...ck_Boot_Images

The picture is not a simple png/jpg/gif. And it has to be extracted from the boot image file, modified, and reapplied to the boot file. However, the picture discussed in these links may not even be what we're looking for. Since these links discuss the "standard" Android implementation this information may only apply to the picture that appears on the LCD side at boot time.

Last edited by kenjennings; 05-20-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
guyjack
Edge User

Great Idea!! Hope they do it!

Guy

Old 05-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
Cleanclothes
Edge User

Superb Idea. I use the Edge for work and it would be snazzy to have our company logo show up on the eInk side.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #9
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanclothes View Post
Superb Idea. I use the Edge for work and it would be snazzy to have our company logo show up on the eInk side.
Ooh! That would be nice. I vote for this feature, too.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
vicinc
Edge User

that was my idea on the last post of Android on E-ink, I was talking about eDGe MK4.....

Old 05-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
robot
Edge User

The bootnimation is not the same as e-ink default image. You can check this thread for details http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...roid-guru-here.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #12
vicinc
Edge User

I did not talk about boot image which is fine with me, but the shutdown image on e-ink

Old 05-23-2010, 05:28 AM   #13
robot
Edge User

Yes, and that's what I'm talking about the 2 links above -- guide how to change boot image (boot image -- is not a picture, it's like DVD image -- the copy of entire bootable disk).
Also there's some info how to change bootable animation (bootanimation -- animated pictures which shown while android loading), which not able to be shown on e-ink screen.

But the image which U called "shutdown image on e-ink" is what you can change as described here http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...roid-guru-here

Old 12-17-2010, 03:43 AM   #14
kveroneau
Edge User

I agree, or at least have an option to keep the current image after power off. This way, you could keep a map, or directions on the e-ink without losing any battery power at all.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #15
Hopi
Edge User

Count me in. Having a journal page with important notes or a calendar page on display even with the eDGe off will be a handy feature.