Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2007, 04:03 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Fictionwise adopts libprs500 for Sony LRF e-book conversion

As jasonkchapman has noted in this thread, Fictionwise has started to offer their multiformat ebooks in Sony LRF format (that's the one without DRM). They say that they are about one-half of the way through converting their 16,000 multiformat titles. They still offer many more titles in a variety of secure formats but not for the Sony Reader.

What is most interesting is that they are using kovidgoyal's libprs500 for the conversion. This is the first known commercial application for the libprs500 package.

Fictionwise is the third commercial publisher to offer non-DRM ebooks for the Sony Reader. Steve Jordan Books started offering Sony format several months ago in addition to their other supported formats and Babblebooks has added the Sony Reader format to their extensive audio book offerings. Both of these publishers employed BookDesigner to create their LRF files. The Sony Connect store is still the only known source of DRM protected ebooks for the Sony Reader.

This is a major step forward for both Fictionwise and the Sony Reader community.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Excellent news; now if I buy a multiformat book from then, I will be able to download it in lrf for Sony, prc for 770, imp for Ebk1150 and lit for my tablet/desktop. Still a bit too many formats, but progress nonetheless...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Actually I just checked and out of 37 multiformat ebooks that I bought from Fictionwise, 16 are available in lrf as of now (just downloaded them).
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I knew it was libprs500 that was used. I could tell bu the header. And the fact that the book look good too.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you do a search on books with format LRF you get about 3000 matches.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Well, I would hope that they would at least send kovidgoyal a big thank you for writing such a great program what will help them make more money!
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
paulkbiba
Connoisseur
paulkbiba began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e61i, iPhone
Because of this I bought a Sony Reader on the way home. It's updating its firmware now and then I'll start downloading from Fictionwise.
paulkbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:43 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I knew it was libprs500 that was used. I could tell bu the header. And the fact that the book look good too.
What... don't BD-formatted LRFs look as good? What's different?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:54 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

html2lrf is far more powerful. See the demo LRF file in the html2lrf thread or if you want to compare the same source converted using html2lrf and BD see this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13085
Old 08-22-2007, 11:40 PM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Okay, they're clearly different (since I don't have a copy of the book, I'll have to take your word that the formatting is better/closer to the original printing). I'll have to look at html2lrf, to see if it's better with my e-books.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:49 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Here's the original source:
http://www.bartleby.com/201/1.html

And try changing sizes from S->M->L and see what happens.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:36 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
What... don't BD-formatted LRFs look as good? What's different?
BD can't be used for automatic format conversions, which is what's required here. It's a great tool for manual book creation, but html2lrf is the clear winner when you need to automate the process.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:57 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
BD can't be used for automatic format conversions, which is what's required here. It's a great tool for manual book creation, but html2lrf is the clear winner when you need to automate the process.
Actually, I'd have to say it's better for manual conversion as well, though you have to be comfortable with editing HTML. But, if you are, the level of control and the feature set it gives you is far superior to that of BD, but that's because it focuses on conversion to only LRF rather than supporting a whole host of target formats like BD does.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:37 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
These days my main interest lies in the MobiPocket format. Any chance of providing that as an alternate output format? It's going to become really popular in the next few months, with the forthcoming release of the CyBook!

I understand that the "PRC" mobipocket format (as opposed to the DRM format) is just a fairly simple wrapper around HTML.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:50 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Not really, I typically work only on tools that I myself use, and the "wrapper around HTML" format that I'm going to go for is epub. So not unless you're willing to buy me a Cybook ;-)

Tags
libprs500