Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-17-2007, 01:39 AM   #1
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
What books did you get with your $50 credit?

My choices:
  1. The Road by Cormac McCarthy (so far it's the only one I've read: I loved it).
  2. Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami.
  3. Snow by Orhan Pamuk.
  4. The Liveship Traders trilogy by Robin Hobb
  5. Red Mars and Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson
  6. Tau Zero by Paul Anderson
  7. Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg

I haven't read anything by Kim Stanley Robinson or Paul Anderson, but I chose the other writers because I enjoyed some of their previous works.

What books did you choose?
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:42 PM   #2
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess this promotion wasn't very popular...
Advert
Old 06-19-2007, 11:31 PM   #3
afiggatt
afiggatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
My choices:
  1. Tau Zero by Paul Anderson

I haven't read anything by Kim Stanley Robinson or Paul Anderson, but I chose the other writers because I enjoyed some of their previous works.

What books did you choose?
That is Poul Anderson, not Paul. Tau Zero is his best known stand-alone work, but he wrote many fine SF books. Check out the Psychotechnic League and Dominic Flandry books if you like Tau Zero.

I brought the Sony Reader last week, but have not brought any books from the Sony Connect store yet. I have to look through their inventory of SF and other titles to see what I can get for the $50. I downloaded several of the Baen free library titles and have been figuring out the best way to get them into the Reader.
afiggatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:49 AM   #4
Andanzas
Out of print

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post
That is Poul Anderson, not Paul.

Are you downloading your Baen books as .RTF? I think that is the easiest way to put them into the Reader.

Enjoy your new Reader!
Old 06-20-2007, 04:59 AM   #5
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
I got one manga "Happy Halloween" just to see how the quality was.

As for others... there aren't much interesting titles there...

I'm kinda disappointed that tokyopop isn't offering the more popular titles of real japanese masters...
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2007, 06:06 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So far the only thing I've bought so far has been the collection of R. A. Salvatore books.

As for Baen books, RTF, LIT, or HTML will work fine for loading into Book Designer to convert to LRF. Yes RTF can be read directly, but it's nicer to have them in LRF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:16 AM   #7
Andanzas
Out of print

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So far the only thing I've bought so far has been the collection of R. A. Salvatore books.
If you like fantasy, I think you might like Robin Hobb or George R.R. Martin. Both writers are very intense and entertaining. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire is great but still unfinished. I've read two Robin Hobb trilogies (Assassin and The Tawny Man) and both were great, real page turners. And they are actually a good deal at Connect: in bookstores you can only find them in paperback and they have a ridiculously small print.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
I guess this promotion wasn't very popular...
Heh, I cashed mine in so long ago (the original $50 credit promo ended in January) that I don't remember which books they were, Andanzas!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
So far I've purchased:

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville
Michael Tolliver Lives by Armistead Maupin
Ilium by Dan Simmons
Tales Before Tolkien edited by Douglas A. Anderson
Christmas in Plains by Jimmy Carter

Ben
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:34 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Must admit that I didn't bother to get anything. I have several lifetimes' reading already with Baen + PG books .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As for Baen books, RTF, LIT, or HTML will work fine for loading into Book Designer to convert to LRF. Yes RTF can be read directly, but it's nicer to have them in LRF.
I suggest using Kovid Goyal's html2lrf converter. It does a great job on Baen's books starting from their html format with no human intervention (other than kicking it off from the command line). If you have a box that provides a unix shell, I have a little script that you can invoke giving only a source directory and a destination directory that will do all the work from there.

The only slightly odd choice I've made for formatting is that I make the default font size smaller than some might like. The reason is to be able to read in landscape mode without getting giant fonts. I wind up using size M in portrait and size S in landscape.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:19 AM   #12
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur
Lov2Read is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505
Haven't picked any yet, but I will probably grab the new Stephen White for sure....
Lov2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:07 PM   #13
sborsody
sborsody began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I have until the end of August to spend my credit. I have the $50 plus 50 free "classic" books (out of a list of 100 titles) deal. So far I downloaded Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Bram Stoker's Dracula. *shrug*

I have to say the "printing" quality of the Sony Connect version of Dracula is a bit off. Lots of spots where spaces are missing or a word is misspelled. This compared with the free version from Project Gutenberg.

I also have yet to doublecheck, but the Sony store description for Rime of the Ancient Mariner listed a few other poems included like Kubla Khan, but I couldn't find Kubla Khan in the text I downloaded!

Last edited by sborsody; 06-21-2007 at 02:10 PM.
sborsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborsody View Post
I have until the end of August to spend my credit. I have the $50 plus 50 free "classic" books (out of a list of 100 titles) deal. So far I downloaded Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Bram Stoker's Dracula. *shrug*

I have to say the "printing" quality of the Sony Connect version of Dracula is a bit off. Lots of spots where spaces are missing or a word is misspelled. This compared with the free version from Project Gutenberg.

I also have yet to doublecheck, but the Sony store description for Rime of the Ancient Mariner listed a few other poems included like Kubla Khan, but I couldn't find Kubla Khan in the text I downloaded!
Have you had a look at the Sony formatted version of Dracula that I did? If so, I'd be curious as to what you think of it vs. the Sony version. If not, it's in the e-books list.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:44 AM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
The e-books I got with the credit:

Next - Michael Crichton
The Looming Tower - Lawrence Wright
The World is Flat - Thomas L. Friedman

And about $8 down the drain (my $50 credit expired before I noticed).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote