Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #211
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Canorka,

In case you are running windows and have 7-Zip installed you can do this:
1) Create the path "usr\local\TrollTech\QTEmbedded-4.6.2-arm\lib\fonts" somewhere on your pc, for instance from the consol window execute:
Code:
C:\Users\yourname>md ktwork\usr\local\TrollTech\QTEmbedded-4.6.2-arm\lib\fonts
In order to avoid typos I would copy and paste the path name.

2) Next copy the font files (cf. post 205, note: you can use 7-Zip for expanding gz and tar files.) to the fonts folder which you have created in step 1.
3) From the file explorer right-click on the folder "usr" and select "7-Zip>Add to archive ...", choose Archive format: tar; in the text field "Archive:" write "KoboRoot.tar". Press ok. This will create the file KoboRoot.tar.
Right-click on KoboRoot.tar an select "7-Zip>Add to archive ...", choose Archive format: gzip; in the text field "Archive:" write "KoboRoot.tgz". Press ok.
4) Connect your KT to the pc. Copy the file KoboRoot.tgz to the folder .Kobo of the KT. Eject the KT and disconnect it.
Thanks! I'll give it a shot.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #212
Nodeity
Nodeity began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Bad edit can't delete post ?

Last edited by Nodeity; 02-09-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Nodeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #213
Nodeity

Kobo Glo Firmware

Just joined although I've had my glo a couple months now.
How about I start off by asking if there is a firmware download page? The WiFi update system isn't very intuitive. I don't leave my WiFi on for power saving. When I do turn it on, I can't tell if it's updating or not. Plus it seems to cut out all the time.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #214
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodeity View Post
Just joined although I've had my glo a couple months now.
How about I start off by asking if there is a firmware download page? The WiFi update system isn't very intuitive. I don't leave my WiFi on for power saving. When I do turn it on, I can't tell if it's updating or not. Plus it seems to cut out all the time.
If you get an update pushed to you through Wifi, you'll notice. It downloads for a while, and then tells you "New firmware! Update now or later?" Hitting now will make your Glo restart and update. Hitting later will make it wait, but it will update next time you switch your Glo off and on again (sleep doesn't trigger update).

There is no firmware download page from Kobo. Manually updating is not officially supported. However, it is possible, and there is a download thread in these forums: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660

The instructions on how to up- and downgrade are described a few posts down (for the Touch, but they also work for the Glo). Note that for downgrading, a factory reset is not always necessary (I never do it, some people always do it).
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #215
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodeity View Post
When you have Wifi connected do a sync and if there is a update available to you it will be pushed to you. It won't automatically show or start with the wifi on unless you do a sync. So you don't need to turn it on and wait to see if something is going to happen, just sync your device and when the sync is done you'll know if you have one available or not.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #216
Nodeity

@ Mrs_Often, @ robko

Thanks for that, appreciated. I'm going to assume the WiFi cutting in and out is anomalous and just hope that it doesn't effect any F/W update. Catchya
Old 02-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #217
luchtgitaar
luchtgitaar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
I couldn't find my answer with the search function, so here it goes:

Is it possible to buy content (books) in the kobo store, which isn't available in my country?

When searching for books via ie luzme.com I sometimes find books which aren't either available in my country or much cheaper.

When I click the links I am getting an error page claiming the content is available in my country.
luchtgitaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #218
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luchtgitaar View Post
I couldn't find my answer with the search function, so here it goes:

Is it possible to buy content (books) in the kobo store, which isn't available in my country?

When searching for books via ie luzme.com I sometimes find books which aren't either available in my country or much cheaper.

When I click the links I am getting an error page claiming the content is available in my country.
Yes, you can. You have to change your address in your kobo account to a country for which the content is available. To create a valid address you could use something like this. Note though, you will be paying in the currency of that country.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:46 AM   #219
luchtgitaar
luchtgitaar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Yes, you can. You have to change your address in your kobo account to a country for which the content is available. To create a valid address you could use something like this. Note though, you will be paying in the currency of that country.
Thanks. And then I have to give the book as a present to my main Kobo account?
luchtgitaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #220
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by luchtgitaar View Post
Thanks. And then I have to give the book as a present to my main Kobo account?
You can do that, yes. You could also just change the address of your main kobo account, buy the book, then change your address back (if you want). The book will stay in your library.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #221
2bits
Enthusiast
2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Touch N905, Mini
Stop the FLASH to BLACK

TRADE slight degradation of type definition for elimination of flash to BLACK and increase battery life ...

The latest firmware updates have reduced ghosting
(this has -slightly- slowed page turn times)

so... as the ghosting is greatly reduced ...

you might want to consider completely STOPPING the screen flashing to BLACK every 1-6 page turns due to the old refresh scheme,

and

- get faster page turns that are
- easier on eyes &
- increase in battery life too

* kobo mainly uses battery to draw new pages *

it takes more power to refresh a page to black and then display the new page than to just "overwrite" old page with new page]

You do this easy-hack by re-setting the refresh variable to 90
as follows:

[Connect kobo to your computer with hidden files displayed]

Navigate to the file:

Kobo eReader.conf (there's a space in the name)

found at

KOBOeReader/.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf

* BACKUP the file 1st *

Copy file:

Kobo eReader.conf and rename it to
Kobo eReader.conf.orig

Then make the change in

Kobo eReader.conf

[at ~ 40 lines from the end of the file]

in the [Reading] section ...
change the value of variable

numPartialUpdatePageTurns

from (1-6) to 90

to give result as follows:

numPartialUpdatePageTurns=90

Save file and Exit

Now while reading, enjoy flash free reading and if you notice ghosting (after very MANY page turns) to clean up the type

MANUALLY REFRESH PAGE by ...

1) touch page bottom then
2) touch page middle

Quick and Easy!
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #222
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Thanks for that 2bits!

If you set refresh to 90, and go to reading settings, the Page refresh section, the "Refresh the screen every:" drop down menu says "OH THE HUMANITY!"

Sooo funny! Hahaha
Old 02-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #223
2bits
Enthusiast
2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Touch N905, Mini
That's right.

I'm glad the working folk at Kobo
are able to keep their sense of humour -
they're sure to need it some days

Oh the humanity - indeed
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #224
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
in the [Reading] section ...
change the value of variable

numPartialUpdatePageTurns

from (1-6) to 90
This is neat, I have it set to refresh every 20 pages on my Glo and there is not even the slightest trace of ghosting.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #225
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canorka View Post
Thanks! I'll give it a shot.
I just discovered a typo in my original post and corrected it (wrong "TrollTech\QTEmbedded-4.6.2-arm", correct "Trolltech\QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm"). Maybe you could correct the typo in your quotation too, in case somebody takes the code from there. Thank you!

Last edited by tshering; 02-20-2013 at 11:28 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote