Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #31
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldReader View Post
Any way to Un-Brick my PRS-505? After attempting the flash PRSCustomizer, the screen sicks at initial screen "Reader starting up". Reset, mark + vol and reconnecting to computer do nothing. It is not seen as a drive any longer.

Do I buy a new one? Or does someone have a good idea?
Try the Sony updater.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:26 PM   #32
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
Quote:
Any way to Un-Brick my PRS-505? After attempting the flash PRSCustomizer, the screen sicks at initial screen "Reader starting up". Reset, mark + vol and reconnecting to computer do nothing. It is not seen as a drive any longer.
Try to connect external power supply, wait for an hour, reset, power switch, while blinks connect usb cable. Doing so I've unbricked mine. If succeed, run update again (changing in updater its version number).
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #33
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:

Happened the same to me owing to the modified fonts. I tried reseting and turning on 10 times in a row (supposed to run update mode or something) and it didn't work but somewhere along the way the PC recognized the drive and I could reinstall the firmware. The process depleted the battery, so be careful when reinstalling. Good luck.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:02 PM   #34
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:

Run the universal flasher off the sd card again if you can get it to read the sd card. From that point use the option to update firmware, connect to the computer with a usb cord and use the official sony firmware updater. Then you can run the hacks again successfully.
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #35
GuardianZX9
GuardianZX9 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader x 2
Reflashed with the sony updater and I still am not able to get the clock working, not sure what I am doing wrong.

G
GuardianZX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #36
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Guardian--

You might just need to turn the clock on. To do this, from the main menu, choose Settings/About. On the bottom of the screen you should see "clock off"; "clock on" or "clock am/pm". To switch between the options, hit the 0 key.

Hope this helps--
dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:32 PM   #37
GuardianZX9
GuardianZX9 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader x 2
Yea, tried that, no clock text at all either in the main menu or in the about screen, no page forward or back either.

Seems like the flash went ok per the responses on the flasher menu, but it never seems to update the flash.

G
GuardianZX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #38
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Added for download: prscustpy.01.zip - Python version of prscustomizer. Tested and working under Linux (Ubuntu 8.04) and OS X (Leopard). Requires wxpython module.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #39
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianZX9 View Post
Yea, tried that, no clock text at all either in the main menu or in the about screen, no page forward or back either.

Seems like the flash went ok per the responses on the flasher menu, but it never seems to update the flash.

G
I'm stumped. Just for the heck of it, try running prscustomizer only, then check the files in files.505.1.1.00.18040/opt/sony/ebook/application/resources/ - you're looking for applicationStart.xml, scripts/main.xml and scripts/*.png.

Are they there?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #40
Frog29
Frog29 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I flashed from an old hacked firmware to the new firmware from Sony, everything turned back to original, then i flashed with this customizer using a custom name and info and all options but the joystick next page. The enter to power, clock, and new icons work, and the next page does not as i customized it, but i don't have any text for my name, email or phone.
I Flashed using a 32 mb Sd card. By Re-extracting the package onto the SD card and rerunning the customizer, I was able to see files.505.1.1.00.18040/opt/sony/ebook/application/resources/ applicationStart.xml, scripts/main.xml and the text icon png file under scripts.
I believe I've done everything correctly (fully filling out the information and all), but I don't have the identification information.
I'm willing to reflash with some method but i don't know which way is the best (using the universal flasher and going to firmware update or reflashing the with sony updater after changing the version number) and i don't know what to look for when reflashing and customizing.
Thanks,
Frog29
Frog29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #41
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
JeffElkins, look at this variation of icons to give the prscustomizer:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=57
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kBookIcon.png
Views:	896
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	15004  
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #42
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog29 View Post
I flashed from an old hacked firmware to the new firmware from Sony, everything turned back to original, then i flashed with this customizer using a custom name and info and all options but the joystick next page. The enter to power, clock, and new icons work, and the next page does not as i customized it, but i don't have any text for my name, email or phone.
I Flashed using a 32 mb Sd card. By Re-extracting the package onto the SD card and rerunning the customizer, I was able to see files.505.1.1.00.18040/opt/sony/ebook/application/resources/ applicationStart.xml, scripts/main.xml and the text icon png file under scripts.
I believe I've done everything correctly (fully filling out the information and all), but I don't have the identification information.
I'm willing to reflash with some method but i don't know which way is the best (using the universal flasher and going to firmware update or reflashing the with sony updater after changing the version number) and i don't know what to look for when reflashing and customizing.
Thanks,
Frog29

Frog29, sounds to me like you've covered all the bases. You are looking at the top level Settings/About (0,6) screen, correct? I just reflashed my 505, leaving the joystick page forward unchecked and I see the name,email & address w/o problems. The personalization info is the last item on the About screen, after the Bitstream info. What do you see on that page?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #43
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by surquizu View Post
JeffElkins, look at this variation of icons to give the prscustomizer:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=57
I'll try those out, thanks!
Old 08-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #44
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by christolles View Post
rather than go through the trouble of flashing with the "new" icons, deciding i, too, would rather have the old ones, and figuring out how to undo it, could someone please point me to a screenshot of old vs. new? i can't for the life of me figure out which "new" icons are included in this flasher...

thanks!
If you download the software, both iconsets are in the prsfiles directory.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #45
Frog29
Frog29 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Wink

*ahem* I feel quite stupid now :P
It's there exactly as it should be...

However at least I have a kind of excuse... I'd assumed it did something like this

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...8&d=1217425473 From https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=21
Because it did not make sense to me for the info to be hidden a few menus deep where its only useful for proving ownership I had thought it was like that so its identifiable if found by a kind soul
On that topic, would it perchance be possible to automatically write text like in the screenshot?
Or integrate some way for a custom theme to be done in this auto installer, or just tell me how

Thanks, and sorry for the confusion,
Frog29
Frog29 is offline   Reply With Quote