Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #16
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
I knew that was coming :)
Of course, Wikipedia (and I!) needs every help it can get! ;-)

Quote:
Seriously, the charts are fantastic. I'll perhaps give it a try though the list of "sister apps" will be extremely short.
Thanks. That the list might at least *start* small is not a problem, IMHO. Just getting started is good and helpful and either others might have ideas and knowledge on how to expand it or maybe other "sister apps" (nice term, btw :-) ) will pop up and can be added then.

Quote:
Question... in the "Book Source Management" chart what does "local books" indicate? (maybe I'm missing the obvious?)
Actually, that's an *excellent* question. I must admit I can't remember what I actually meant there. I *think* it was meant to refer to first transferring a book basically manually to an iOS device (e. g. email or scp'ing it there (in case of a jailbroken device)) but the values I put in there aren't consistent because, e. g. not all of those who are marked "yes" support email import and scp'ing is pretty much supported even by those who are marked "no".
So, duh...

Unless someone here (or on Wikipedia) can either mind-read me ;) or offer a consistent explanation, I'm going to simply remove that column in, let's say, 24 hours or so.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #17
FredipusRex
Enthusiast
FredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Updated for MegaReader 2.4.0

I updated the wiki to reflect the latest version of MegaReader. It has added hardware brightness control via swipe, configurable tap zones (next/previous page, show menus, rotation lock, toggle heads-up-display), zero minimum width margins (which I personally find a little too small - 5 feels better to me) and a sepia color scheme.

It's a nice (small) upgrade. One thing I think Patrick should probably change is to hold on to the original brightness value of the phone and restore it when the app is closed/put to sleep. As of now, it stays at the brightness set within MegaReader.

Of course, some people might consider that a feature - it makes it pretty easy to adjust your phone brightness on the fly.

A good first step. I'd love to see Patrick a little more engaged in some forum - either here or at his own website. His to-do list at his website is nice, but it'd be nicer if we could ask him what's next in his priority list. I think grouping by author/tags and better formatting (italics/bold) would probably be the most popular, even if I hold out hope for the progress bar...
FredipusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #18
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone6, iPadMiniRetina, KindlePW3, KoboGloHD
Please add a column on whether the app can display two pages in landscape. I know iBooks and Kindle can, and Bluefire and Kobo cannot. Nook on the iPad gives you the option.
Thanks.
ssholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:32 AM   #19
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssholloway View Post
Please add a column on whether the app can display two pages in landscape. I know iBooks and Kindle can, and Bluefire and Kobo cannot. Nook on the iPad gives you the option.
Thanks.
That's a good idea.

The beauty of Wikipedia is that everyone can easily contribute to it. So I'd really appreciate it, if you just went ahead and did it yourself.

Don't be scared by the syntax; just look at way it's currently done and you'll see it's easy to grasp. You can get a preview of your changes as well so you'll know if you got it right before saving it.

And, of course, I'm here if you have questions and I'm monitoring the article so if something goes wrong and you don't notice, I will. :-)

You have a great idea there, go and run with it! I know you can do it!
Old 03-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #20
Cimmerian
Cimmerian began at the beginning.

Device: Lenovo PocketPC Phone
There are couple of things to add with regards to Kindle application.
1. There is a kindle sore (now it says no store)
2. There is a special feature to put into special features section: you can e-mail an e-book file to the e-mail address asigned for you by Amazon and it will safely arrive to the Kindle application on your iPad.
Cimmerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #21
Philantrop
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimmerian View Post
There are couple of things to add with regards to Kindle application.
1. There is a kindle store (now it says no store)
Yes, but it's not accessible by means of the Kindle app. That's what meant by the store column.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimmerian View Post
2. There is a special feature to put into special features section: you can e-mail an e-book file to the e-mail address asigned for you by Amazon and it will safely arrive to the Kindle application on your iPad.
Or any other iDevice, yes. Go and add it to the special feature section! :-)
Old 04-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #22
Philantrop
Addict

Because you're all ugly and lazy ;-), I've now added Kindle's ebook-by-email feature to the "special features" section myself.

The "two-pages-in-landscape-mode" suggestion is now on the article's Talk page.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #23
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone6, iPadMiniRetina, KindlePW3, KoboGloHD
Many thanks. I was going to try to figure out Wikipedia this weekend. But even then I wouldn't have data on all the apps.
ssholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:53 AM   #24
Philantrop
Addict

I'm afraid you should still figure out Wikipedia (it's really not hard) because I have only put your suggestion as such there.

Not having the data for all of the apps is not a problem - just put a question mark into the fields you can't fill yourself and someone (possibly me :-) ) will figure it out later.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:54 AM   #25
Cimmerian
Cimmerian began at the beginning.

Device: Lenovo PocketPC Phone
Sorry about delay with the reply, Wikipedia is not something I would ever consider a reference.
As a talk sometimes goes low, same way referencies sometime go low pointing at Wikipedia.
I've got some very solid resason in support of this, and of course it's just imho.
Thanks for maintaining the info.

By the way, the browser is still inside of the Kindle app, it's just not revealed anywhere.
But if you access it one way or another, you cam still browse Amazon (or Mobipocket) and buy books right from inside the app as before.
Some kind of an Easter egg Microsoft used to be famous of, kinda find it and amuse yourself

Last edited by Cimmerian; 04-13-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Cimmerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #26
Philantrop
Addict

Well, Wikipedia has been scientifically proven to contain less errors than Britannica & other major encyclopaedia (ironically, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliability_of_Wikipedia has a lot of references for those studies :-) ).

Anyway, thanks for the information about the Kindle App. Interesting to know, indeed.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #27
Philantrop
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssholloway View Post
Thanks.
Since I've developed a strange liking to multi-column mode, I've added a corresponding column to the "Display Features" table. :-)

The article *still* needs help, though, so if you guys have a few minutes...

(Btw, maybe some kind moderator could "stickyfy" this thread? It's probably useful to many people coming to this forum but it tends to be buried for months. :) )
Old 09-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #28
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wikipedia is really helpful...
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #29
Philantrop
Addict

The comparison has been suggested for deletion. If you think it's useful, you might want to *calmly* and *friendly* voice your opinion here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...eader_software
Old 05-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #30
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
It can easily be accommodated in our wiki which is the same exact format. Even if they keep it you are welcome to put it here.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote