Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
pablob
Connoisseur
pablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheese

Device: OnyxBook M96, enTourage Pocket eDGe (retired)
ROM wishlist

I am still working on a "Golden Allmine" update file for the Pocket Edge, it should not take too long (but I won't commit to a date ).

Meanwhile, why not put all the things people would like to have in an Ermine "ROM" in a single thread?

So far, I've seen:

1) Modified WPA supplicant for connecting to ad-hoc networks.
2) Javese modified stock browser.
3) Javese's PDF viewer (ideally without needing root)

Go and suggest things! (preferably with links)
pablob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
there are 2 javese pdf viewers (apdfviewer) and fbreader. +lcd+eink. I would not include any of this in the rom as they can be installed at later stage by the user. while the stock modified browser is good as displays text and html files on e-ink properly, I would not include the others as they will have future versions.
also there is in forum some discussion to include modified rights for e-ink drivers, I can not find now the post.
also I do not know if a rooted and unrooted ermine golden should be provided. I personally prefer rooted, so I think efforts should not be put on a non rooted golden full rom as those can unroot their version
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
tarvoke
Dog Dentist
tarvoke began at the beginning.

Device: PE, GT540, VM670, GOGHVMU, Qualcomm 1600
first, thank you so much pablob, for the excellent work you've done and continue to do.

I agree with vicinc, mostly - everyone will have their own opinion, but if it's about some app or feature than can be easily/normally installed by regular user, then my preference is for simplicity and leave it out (and save some work and testing). if it's something that is not so easy for everyone to do (allmine, other build.prop edits, wpa supplicant) and is of wide use to many people, that's the things to put in.

e.g. as much as I always want to have any android device I own as rooted, it's something so easy for anyone to do z4root on their own, and seems safer/simpler not to distribute a rooted update.

but anyway, put what you want in there, I doubt you will get any complaints but instead only lots of thanks from all of us!
tarvoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
I'm assuming that this new ermine includes GAPPS and market, right?
Also, I would add the latest es fileexplorer as well, granted one can update it, but you might as well start with the latest version. I would remove the frozen bubble game.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:19 AM   #5
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist
vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: edge & edgejr
I think it would be good to include the script to fix permissions of eink framebuffer to allow regular applications to write to e-ink without root permission as descibed in this post.

Also if you ever get to building Edge Sr Update, it would be good to include fix for crashing built-in browser described here.

Deleting the telephony related applications would be useful as it was reported here to save battery life.

Regarding Javese applications - since they are not available through the market installing them later will require digging through forums/backups. So I would vote for including them in update file, but in case of e-ink viewers only the versions that do not require root, if Javese could find time to provide such versions. Otherwise in case of fbreader which is open-sourced I could provide modified version.

And while you are at it, maybe you could in parallel create a regular (non-golden) update file for allmine with all the goodies that will be suggested here and accepted in your golden. Would be nice to have equal updated functionality.

Thanks for you effort!

Last edited by vldmr; 12-02-2011 at 04:50 AM.
vldmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

yes, I could not remember the thread for framebuffer permissions
Old 12-02-2011, 06:01 AM   #7
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
One other thing to add id a version for the EE is ever developed - reverting the camera to the dingo version because it worked, the ermine version gives green pictures that are larger than those from my Nikon D60.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
vicinc
Guru

Library Moved to SD Card!
Old 12-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Flash, ahh ahh !!
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
vicinc
Guru

flash. I posted a version of flash that works for everything but for streaming video.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:12 AM   #11
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Did you already get the request for support for USB modems?

I'm not completely clear on the different options for using microSD cards vs. internal storage for apps etc. Would your Golden Ermine take the place of the Kenny Minot (and others) fix that (I think) uses App2SD? I've been meaning to wade carefully through this thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138124) but perhaps there is no longer the need?

I've also been meaning to install some of Javese's wonderful inventions -- LCD2eink, browser, PDFviewer. I see the browser improvement is already on the list, are the other 2 programs best installed separately? (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154124, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143791)

Thank you, pablob and everybody, for your continuing excellent work!

Last edited by Filark; 12-03-2011 at 03:24 AM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #12
vicinc
Guru

on golden ermine you already have 2.5 gb of space for apps so is more than enough, so do not need to use the link2sd and move apps to sd. this combined with library on sd will be ideal really.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #13
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Cool!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #14
vicinc
Guru

waiting for our pe Xmas present....
Old 12-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #15
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
I would remove apps that do not work or are no longer necessary:
tube
entourage store
entourage registration
entourage updater
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote