Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-31-2015, 06:56 PM   #1066
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Again, worth noting that you shouldn't add login details unless your library has OverDrive Advantage (withheld-from-consortium) titles.
It is slower, and if it fails to sign in then that library will not be searched.

BPL is not part of a consortium. I don't know about Maryland.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #1067
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I'm wondering if something with the Overdrive login has changed? I haven't changed a thing and I'm getting the following error (I know this author has books @Brooklyn available for check out that aren't in my library).
OverDrive made some minor changes, including a change to their sign-in page that broke the Overdrive Link plugin for calibre. I have released a new version of the plugin to handle this.

While looking for any other changes at OverDrive, I noticed a change to the book search form that appears to be related to the streaming of audiobooks to a web browser. I don't recall that being a feature of OverDrive previously.

I did find some documentation here:
Getting started with OverDrive Listen
How to use OverDrive Listen
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2015, 02:03 AM   #1068
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Ah, jeez, they're at it again. The most recent "update" is what I consider a bit deceptive....instead of saying where you are in line exactly, they're dividing the total in line by the total number of copies available, and then rounding up to the nearest whole number.

So you look and it says "1 person in line ahead of you"...but if there are 8 copies of the book owned by that library, you could be #2 or all the way to #8 in line.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #1069
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Another numbering change - it used to get down to 1 person ahead of you and then you were next to get the book.
As of today one of my books on hold is showing 0 people ahead of me.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:31 AM   #1070
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
If you look in the book details, mine says "5 people waiting per copy", and it also tells you how many copies. I know that "5 people ahead of you" is the same thing, but I do like to know how many copies there are as well.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2015, 09:44 PM   #1071
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Another numbering change - it used to get down to 1 person ahead of you and then you were next to get the book.
As of today one of my books on hold is showing 0 people ahead of me.
That seems like an error; if there are 0 people ahead of you, then the book should no longer be on hold. Unless, of course, you didn't configure OverDrive to automatically download held books once they become available, and OverDrive is now waiting for you to download it!
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:21 AM   #1072
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
That seems like an error; if there are 0 people ahead of you, then the book should no longer be on hold. Unless, of course, you didn't configure OverDrive to automatically download held books once they become available, and OverDrive is now waiting for you to download it!
No, I think all it's saying is, no one else ahead of you waiting for the next free book. "You" are first in line when a copy becomes free.

Like being the next in line with no one in front of you - you still have to wait til a customer service rep/bank teller/cashier/whatever is freed to serve you.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:27 AM   #1073
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
No, I think all it's saying is, no one else ahead of you waiting for the next free book. "You" are first in line when a copy becomes free.

Like being the next in line with no one in front of you - you still have to wait til a customer service rep/bank teller/cashier/whatever is freed to serve you.
Makes sense, FW.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #1074
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
yes, it makes sense, it's just different from before - it used to get down to 1 person ahead of you and then you were next
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #1075
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
yes, it makes sense, it's just different from before - it used to get down to 1 person ahead of you and then you were next
Ha! What fantasy planet are you living on? It gets down to 1 person ahead of you, and then ... it stays that way ... or you get cut-off ... or the phone line to India they switch you onto is really bad and the CSR is ununderstandable ....
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #1076
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
I guess enough people found it odd because now it just says "You are next in line for this title" instead of trying to express it as a number.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:38 PM   #1077
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
"You are next in line for this title" is clearer than "0 people ahead of you", but it looks like they also removed the indication of where you are in line for pre-release titles when they made this change.

One step forward, two steps back.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:18 PM   #1078
FizzyWater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
"You are next in line for this title" is clearer than "0 people ahead of you", but it looks like they also removed the indication of where you are in line for pre-release titles when they made this change.

One step forward, two steps back.
I don't like it because IMO it's misleading. If what they mean is, you're in the next group of 8 people in line because there are 8 copies, it's not the same as you're next in line.

In the past, you could at least see the numbers tick down, and it seemed like progress. If every person keeps their books 3 weeks, but the numbers are staggered, I could still see it count down...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1...0. Now, I could start at "you're next in line" for 3 weeks without any apparent movement.

Edited to add: I just logged in at home, and YIKES now I get what you mean about pre-releases. What the fook?! I don't get the logic in this. One of the libraries I belong to regularly is so busy that a new release can have 56 people in line for one book....I'm not wasting one of my 10 potential holds for a book I won't see for 3 years! Step back indeed.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 06-05-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:03 AM   #1079
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
In the past, you could at least see the numbers tick down, and it seemed like progress. If every person keeps their books 3 weeks, but the numbers are staggered, I could still see it count down...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1...0. Now, I could start at "you're next in line" for 3 weeks without any apparent movement.

and another example with different numbers... I'm currently on hold with a book that has 110 copies.

I like the old way, maybe provide an option check box.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:20 AM   #1080
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
it looks like they also removed the indication of where you are in line for pre-release titles
This is not two steps back, this is one fricking huge leap backwards. I need to know if I need to look at different libraries to see if I can put that title on hold if the library I am at now has too long a line.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote