Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
Personal book conversion web service

Although Calibre is a great tool for managing and converting ebooks, it runs on the computer that it's installed on.
In my case we have a few different computers in the house, and so being able to grab a (DRM-free) document off the web and converting it from any computer and then dropping it on the kindle is useful.
I happen to have a media server PC that runs 24/7 and so I decided to create such a web service for use by others on my home network.
And, I thought I would share some of the things I found on the web that helped me put this service together.

xampplite is a nice, easy to install apache/PHP (and other things) web server.
This can be used to create some simple web pages and PHP scripts that run, for example, Calibre's ebook-convert.exe tool to convert a downloaded epub document to mobi format for use on the Kindle. Basically, you throw .html and/or .php files under the htdocs directory where xampplite is installed and you're ready to go.

This page. http://www.tizag.com/phpT/fileupload.php, provides a nice tutorial on how to write an HTML form and accompanying PHP to upload a file to the server (where xampplite is running).

This page provides nice PHP script to download the file back to the client PC once it's been converted: http://www.zubrag.com/scripts/download.php

With these tools and some basic html and PHP script skills a nice web service can be developed for your home network.

Hope this is found helpful,

Mitch

Last edited by Mitch G; 12-25-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That seems a lot more work then doing it the original way.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I think it is just easier to remove the DRM than to go through all that
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote