Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
avere
avere began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Accessing ebooks in Dropbox from the iPad

I just got my iPad today and was really disappointed to see that Stanza doesn't have an iPad version. On my iPhone, I use Stanza to access my library stored in Dropbox and I love being able to access my entire library, no matter where I am. After some experimenting, I have managed to recreate this setup on the iPad.

To do this, I am using ReadMe as my ebook reader on the iPad. Although it does not have all the bells and whistles of some of the other readers, it has my "deal breaker" features (although I hope they will add some features in the future, like searching and annotation).

To access my library in Dropbox, I used Calibre2OPDS to create an HTML catalog of my epub ebooks. This catalog (along with all the epub files) is stored in my Dropbox public folder. This then allows me to use ReadMe's "Download from the Web" method of adding a book, by pointing ReadMe to the ....catalog.html page created by Calibre2OPDS. I can then navigate around my catalog, select the desired book, and download it into ReadMe.

This is the only way I have come up with to do this, and I would love to know if anyone else has found a different/better way.
avere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I've used BookShelf. It can access Dropbox, similar to ReadMe, but it also allows me to access the Calibre server and see my books sorted by name/author/tags. That works pretty well for me. I'm not totally in love with the way the app works, though. I'm a sucker for a pretty, simple interface and I love iBooks. I just wish I could get my content into it without needing to connect and sync.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 01:38 AM   #3
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I have tried both of these and they are both almost there for me. But ReacMe seems to miss some styles and text that should be italics isn't.

I am still trying to figure out Bookshelf's strange scrolling behaviour.

both have got font/layout choices
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:21 AM   #4
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Just use stanza??

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84993
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
avere
avere began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
I've used BookShelf.
Thanks for letting me know about BookShelf. I have downloaded and I like that it adds some of the features that are missing from ReadMe, but I have to see if can get used to the scrolling instead of page turning.

It's true that each app is almost there. Sigh.

Thanks stustaff for the Stanza suggestion and link, but I don't want to jailbreak my iPad just for this, and at the moment it appears that several of the jailbreak apps I enjoy on my iPhone are causing problems on the iPad.
avere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by avere View Post
Thanks for letting me know about BookShelf. I have downloaded and I like that it adds some of the features that are missing from ReadMe, but I have to see if can get used to the scrolling instead of page turning.

It's true that each app is almost there. Sigh.

Thanks stustaff for the Stanza suggestion and link, but I don't want to jailbreak my iPad just for this, and at the moment it appears that several of the jailbreak apps I enjoy on my iPhone are causing problems on the iPad.
Same here but I did the jailbreak anyway just for full force and it works great, am not gonna use anything else as like you say many cause crashes etc at the moment.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Does ReadMe have the two-page spread option iBooks has? I found it too harsh to read in iBooks because of the white page, but Bookshelf (which is much easier on the eyes) does not have the two-page spread and I find the full screen a little much and like the two-page option better.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #8
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
The only App that allows the two pages is the iBook app. I don't hate ReadMe but I don't like it. I find the page turning with the animation to be irritating and without the animation you are stuck with a vertical page turn which I hate.

I agree with the other poster - jailbreak and use full force with Stanza.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:12 AM   #9
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I took the jailbreak route and will persist with Stanza for a while, at least until the next iBooks update. iBooks needs a few more configuration options and a few more font choices, and it doesn't seem to render italics nicely.

I found the scrolling/paging in Bookshelf very irritating. Kept jerking me out of the reading reverie into wondering WTF I was up to! Readme ignored italics in the book I tried which made it useless. So Stanza remains #1 at the moment for me.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:56 AM   #10
ChristopherTD
Addict

And now, wonder of wonders, Stanza is updated for the iPad! Brilliant news.