Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-30-2010, 01:19 AM   #16
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoglick View Post
Yes, it is indeed nice work. That's the way a responsible company operates.

So, you'd prefer they ignore the bug reports they've received from the field and just roll it out with the problems? (Then you'd be complaining that they rolled out a bug-ridden update) You've created an arbitrary no-win situation in your mind. Relax. It ain't soup yet.
I agree. I'm fine with waiting.

Perhaps in the future Amazon should consider an opt-in beta as opposed to testing with a small set of random (I assume) customers.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:08 AM   #17
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I have the update and quite simply, it works. I do not understand what Amazon is doing to their customers.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 07:53 AM   #18
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharmabum View Post
I don't get all the angst over 2.5. My Kindle works just fine as is. When the update is ready for download, I'll download it. Until then, I'll continue to enjoy my Kindle.
They MUST...HAVE....EVERYTHING...RIGHT...NOW!!!! What do these people do when they are expecting a baby!?!
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #19
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I have the update and quite simply, it works. I do not understand what Amazon is doing to their customers.
And it obviously doesn't simply work for others and, rightly, Amazon is fixing the problems.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #20
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I have one Kindle 2 with...and one K2 without...
The reading experience is equivalent on each.

I did (after a week or ten days) make use of the "folders" option to create a variety of collections.

My wife, on the other hand, couldn't care less.

Frankly, I don't think this update is worth all the gnashing of teeth but I do understand that folks get excited about enhancements to their gadgets.
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #21
laurie_lu
Connoisseur
laurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litter

Device: none
I'm glad to see Amazon is waiting for its final release once they know for sure all the bugs and issues are resolved after properly testing. Just take a stroll over to the Apple forums and read what happens when customers update their iPods and iPhones with software updates that are not tested enough before release. It turns into a bitch fest by lots of unhappy iPod/iPhone customers. Their devices are then screwed up with buggy software/firmware updates that leave their devices worse off than before the update.
laurie_lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #22
RamTheHammer
RamTheHammer began at the beginning.

For those of you who say it does not work for others - what does not work? I have not seen 1 report that the update had any7 issues.
RamTheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:53 PM   #23
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharmabum View Post
I don't get all the angst over 2.5. My Kindle works just fine as is. When the update is ready for download, I'll download it. Until then, I'll continue to enjoy my Kindle.
I am with you. I have no idea why everyone is being so harsh and demanding. They are aware that everyone wants the update, they rolled it out on test market, it has some issues and they want to fix them. Sounds like a good company to me. As far as it costing them money - well I doubt many people are going to go out and pay a few hundred dollars just to "show them" because they cant put their books into categories this week.

I have always instilled into my children that if you use the word "I want" then you wont get it. For gods sakes people - take a chill pill and let them work it out.

Natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:33 PM   #24
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTheHammer View Post
For those of you who say it does not work for others - what does not work? I have not seen 1 report that the update had any7 issues.
Adding/deleting books is considerably slower when Collections are used. What used to take 3-4 seconds now takes 40. I'd consider that an issue.
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:34 PM   #25
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
It took them until the end of May to work up to giving us this breaking news? A brief notice like this would have been reasonable half a month ago, but right at the deadline? Sheesh guys.

FWIW I'd happily update and use 2.5 until they release 2.5.1, at which point I'd happily update again. Of course it's not perfect yet! But it's clearly at the "good enough" level for many people. Just release the thing to those who want to go to the trouble to download it, then fix the inevitable bugs and let the people who don't care one way or the other wait for the Whispernet rollout.

And talk to us! Tell us more or less what's going to happen in a reasonably timely manner, so we don't sit with Whispernet on 24/7 and Emily Dickinson giving us the heebie-jeebies for a month.

(I'd turn Whispernet back off if there's no update coming in the near future, but I've since discovered the trick of using the Kindle browser to read a folder of HTML pages stored locally. And since the browser isn't smart enough to recognize that it's loading a local file and keeps prompting me to re-activate Whispernet, I've accepted the trade of battery life for convenience.)
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:40 PM   #26
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkledorf View Post
It took them until the end of May to work up to giving us this breaking news? A brief notice like this would have been reasonable half a month ago, but right at the deadline? Sheesh guys.
That sums up my feelings exactly. A month ago I took off the screensaver hack and have had wireless on ever since. I've been charging the K2 every 3 days instead of every 2 weeks like normal, because the update was supposed to arrive 'sometime' in May. I appreciate Amazon wanting make sure things are right (presuming that is why it is now delayed), but I find their communication on this effort to be lousy overall.
BarryTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #27
RamTheHammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoglick View Post
Adding/deleting books is considerably slower when Collections are used. What used to take 3-4 seconds now takes 40. I'd consider that an issue.
I beleive that that was a one time thing (like indexing) and that the time to add or delete is still only 3-4 seconds!
Old 06-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #28
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno

Quote:
I beleive that that was a one time thing (like indexing) and that the time to add or delete is still only 3-4 seconds!
No, I'd have to agree with elmoglick that adding/deleting does indeed take significantly longer than it had before the update.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #29
RamTheHammer

How much longer? 5-6sec or 40sec?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #30
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno

Quote:
How much longer? 5-6sec or 40sec?
I haven't timed it but I could probably hum Yankee Doodle Dandy a time or two while waiting.

It's noticeably slower but not long enough to go out and get a bite to eat.

(Could be that that is one of the issues that amazon is trying to work on pending the next release. Don't know.)