Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-15-2015, 03:02 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
What can a Ubuntu user proof epubs on?

I used to proof the epubs I made in Sigil on the Sony Reader Library, which from what I can gather is no longer around. Before that I used ADE 2.0 but that was back in my Windows days. Yeah, I could use Calibre's Ebook Viewer or Sigil's Bookview, but there was something comforting about seeing it on another system (and the Sony Reader Library made it super easy to transfer edits to Sigil).

Are there Sony Reader Library downloads for Linux around anywhere? And would I have to go with Wine to use ADE?

I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:27 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You will need ADE 2.0.1 to see what your ePub looks like. Sony Reader Library uses an old version ADE. if you cannot get ADE 2.0.1 to run under Wine, it's time for Windows either via a VM or a dual-boot.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #3
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You will need ADE 2.0.1 to see what your ePub looks like. Sony Reader Library uses an old version ADE. if you cannot get ADE 2.0.1 to run under Wine, it's time for Windows either via a VM or a dual-boot.
Okay, thanks JS. I'll try the Wine route and see how that goes.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:39 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
ADE 1.7.2 works fine with Wine. Since it's the lowest common denominator it's ideal for testing.

You could also test your ebooks with the Readium Chrome/Chromium app or Azardi for Linux.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
rubeus
Banned
rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
And what has this todo with Sigil? Nothing.
rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the ePub forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:00 PM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
ADE 1.7.2 works fine with Wine. Since it's the lowest common denominator it's ideal for testing.

You could also test your ebooks with the Readium Chrome/Chromium app or Azardi for Linux.
Thanks Doitsu. I've always thought ADE was kind of the gold standard for seeing what epubs will look like on Kobo and Nook ereaders. And if I get the ADE wouldn't it behoove me to get the latest version (like in JSWolf's post)?

Thanks for the links to Readium. I'll definitely get it. And Azardi looks cool but check the screenshot I'm attaching.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_025.png
Views:	219
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	142892  
Old 10-16-2015, 01:00 PM   #8
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Moved to the ePub forum.
Harry, my bad.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No problem at all, Gregg.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #10
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No problem at all, Gregg.
Thanks
Old 10-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
And if I get the ADE wouldn't it behoove me to get the latest version (like in JSWolf's post)?
The latest version, ADE 4.5, has many features, e.g. ePub3 support, that older versions lack. If your book looks OK with ADE 1.7.2., it'll most likely look OK with the latest ADE version. The reverse isn't true, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
And Azardi looks cool but check the screenshot I'm attaching.
False positives are common. You can have the Windows version checked by VirusTotal.

Last edited by Doitsu; 10-16-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:09 PM   #12
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
The latest version, ADE 4.5, has many features, e.g. ePub3 support, that older versions lack. If your book looks OK with ADE 1.7.2., it'll most likely look OK with the latest ADE version. The reverse isn't true, however.

False positives are common. You can have the Windows version checked by VirusTotal.
You know what, I got 1.7.2 via Wine and it's perfect. Thanks. (I just make myself a little crazy thinking I've got to have the latest version of everything.)

And yeah, I'm all Linux so I can't check that file in VT. I've got Calibre Ereader though so I've got alternatives. But ADE is a must because it's so easy to proof and then make the changes back to Sigil.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:56 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Sorry, but 1.7.2 no longer is valid for this. New Readers such as Kobo come with an even later version of RMDSK than 2.0.1. 2.0.1 is the version needed.

As far as Readium or Azardi go, they can be used for testing, but the ePub has to pass with ADE regardless of any other program.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes you can use 1.7.2, but you also HAVE to use 2.0.1 otherwise, you can be doing a disservice to those using a newer version RMDSK. People who use Readers newer than the Sony T2 that have ePub support will have a newer RMDSK. Also, a lot of programs/apps that use RMDSK will also not be using such an old version as 1.7.2. So really, Windows is needed in order to get 2.0.1 running which is what's needed.

Sony T3
Kobo
Bookeen
nook
Onyx
Pocketbook

And others all use a newer RMDSK than 1.7.2. So there are more Readers that support ePub using a newer RMDSK than an older RMDSK. So there is no reason not to use 2.0.1 for testing and if that means having to run Windows, so be it.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-27-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And others all use a newer RMDSK than 1.7.2. So there are more Readers that support ePub using a newer RMDSK than an older RMDSK. So there is no reason not to use 2.0.1 for testing and if that means having to run Windows, so be it.
If an ePub displays well in ADE 1.7.2, it's most unlikely to display poorly in ADE 2.0.1 and later. The reverse is not true. So for a limited feature ePub (like a novel), proofing on ADE 1.7.2 makes perfect sense.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote