Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
elainevdw
elainevdw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Talking Loving the dictionary

I just got my Kindle 2 this morning.

(It was so awesome, my boyfriend ordered it for me for Christmas, and lo and behold a couple months later I find out it's going to be upgraded to Kindle 2. This morning, he woke me up with Starbucks in bed, and had breakfast waiting in the kitchen. My long-awaited Amazon shipping box -- which I thought was going to arrive tomorrow or Tuesday -- was poorly hidden under a pile of bagels, lol. Christmas in March!!! Anyway ... )

Thanks to Calibre, I was able to almost instantaneously pop 40 novels I had downloaded via Feedbooks a few weeks ago to the sucker. The last five books I've read prior to the Kindle's arrival have consisted of the Twilight series (I know, I know; it's a guilty pleasure) and Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai. I was curious why their jilted protagonists end up reading Wuthering Heights, so that's the first book I decided to pick up on the Kindle.

I have to tell you, I am so stoked to have that dictionary right there. I certainly could get the gist of a word via its context, but I figure, if the dictionary is one click away, why not get the EXACT definition, instead of just the gist of the word? I've found it totally hilarious that most of the words I've looked up are blatantly tagged as archaic, British, and/or religious in nature.

And I can look up the proper pronunciation, too. It would be even more awesome if you could click a button and have the Kindle voice pronounce the word and use it in a sentence .... lol.

This thing is seriously going to increase my vocabulary.

OH, and on a side note -- I got a GelaSkin for my Kindle as well as the Amazon case. Both are great. The skin is thick and shiny, and the adhesive is kind of like a really strong Post-It note adhesive; I've peeled it off and repositioned it twice already, and it's not leaving any gooey mess behind on the Kindle. It's also thick enough that peeling it off doesn't make the paper curl and make it hard to reposition. The only problem is that it doesn't fit quite perfectly around the curved corners or the curve of the power/headphone bit, but it's worth it because I know I won't scratch anything by laying it down somewhere sans cover.

The Amazon cover is fantastic -- holds it very secure, and I'm confident that it'll keep me from shattering the screen in my purse. But if I'm reading the Kindle with one hand, I do prefer to take it out of the case.

Oh, and the New Yorker cartoons look awesome on it, too.

Loving it! Yeah for e-readers!! Already 25% through Wuthering Heights. Good thing I've got 39 more free e-books to read.
elainevdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I'm finding I'm using the dictionary a lot more than I expected to as well. I have a pretty good vocabulary, but even I had to look up nulliparous.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
lisamay
lisamay began at the beginning.

Device: none
Bonus on the dictionary! I don't believe Sony has a dictionary...
Glad your enjoying your Kindle elainevdw!
lisamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You are officially "Kindle-ized"! Fun ain't it!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bronte, dictionary, kindle2