Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
And I thought THIS was a mashup!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stooges_HeavenlyDaze.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	140302  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:23 PM   #17
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Mashups is 2 or more genres mixed together. Like motorcycle gangs and flying saucers, or hooligan romance

But I don't think I have any ratings on Smashwords, so it's not me.
Thanks for the explanation of Mashups. It's not a very flattering description for a genre, so I think I like Dr Drib.'s explanation better .

The book in question didn't look like it was from anyone I knew about. The 26 5 stars drew my eye because it's unusual to see so many ratings on books when they appear on the first pages in "Newest" order.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Hi everyone. If you want to see obviously fake reviews, check out the cookbook section. Since I am new and unsure about linking, I reviewed one book on Amazon that 50% of the reviews are almost guaranteed to be fake. I have the same name over there.

As to the bad books, I have a theory. But that is for another thread.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:20 PM   #19
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
If Richard Adin says he couldn't put down a book, I know I will like it. If some author I like praises a book, I may consider reading it. If Uncle Bert recommends a book, it makes no difference to me, I don't read Uncle Bert's reviews.

Why should I read reviews by people whose tastes I don't know? For me, the blurb is more important than any review, I couldn't care less how many "five star reviews" a book gets in Amazon.
The trouble is, EVERYBODY is somebody's Uncle Bert.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:18 PM   #20
mrmarlowe
Zealot
mrmarlowe began at the beginning.

Device: Caliber
Hmm, I usually prefer to judge an ebook on its own merit. Free samples are available for every ebook from any major retailer. I don't usually go through reviews unless it costs more than 10 bucks lol
mrmarlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2015, 11:00 PM   #21
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
One thing I find irritating lately is the tag "New York Times Best-Selling Author" plastered everywhere. That phrase was once a positive to me. It is now a very big negative.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:02 PM   #22
mrmarlowe
Zealot
mrmarlowe began at the beginning.

Device: Caliber
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
One thing I find irritating lately is the tag "New York Times Best-Selling Author" plastered everywhere. That phrase was once a positive to me. It is now a very big negative.
I guess some authors even lie about it, who knows. My gut feeling says so. After all it is not like it is THAT easy to become a NYT bestselling author
mrmarlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:40 AM   #23
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
I see a lot of books with "Amazon Best Selling Author" too. I think it means they made the top 100 in some obscure genre once, during a free promo.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:47 AM   #24
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
I see a lot of books with "Amazon Best Selling Author" too. I think it means they made the top 100 in some obscure genre once, during a free promo.
Agreed. Amazon Best Selling Author means nothing to me either.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:30 AM   #25
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

I find Amazon's categories frustratingly funny, in addition to the way Indy writers latch onto some obscure category and then milk it for all its worth:

"My book is rated #1 for the past week in the category of "Fictitious True Crime Romances." Normally priced at $34.99 [OK, I'm a liar], it's now on sale for only 99 cents. Or until I raise the price.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-18-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:27 PM   #26
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Or paid in an obscure category.
I saw a book the other day. Contentious Capricorn (#1 Best Seller on Amazon Kindle)
What a joke.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #27
David910
Enthusiast
David910 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I tell people that I think could be writing reviews for my novella that I don't care if you give me one star or five stars, it's the feedback that's important.
David910 is offline   Reply With Quote