Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Astak Mentor at IDPF conference

Where to begin?

Fictionwise wasn't at the conference. At least, I didn't see them and the Astak rep didn't think they were there. So I couldn't get solid info about Ereader support, but I was told that Fictionwise should be ready to announce Ereader support in June. The Astak rep didn't know whether Fictionwise's device would be locked down or what other features it would support.

The 5" model came in several different colors. Not all worked because they hadn't been flashed yet. One did, so this is fine. It only read the PVI/Netronix STK format. I did get a picture of the menu. As you can see, it's different from the 6". Also, look at the position of the buttons. They bear a striking resemblance to the position of the buttons on the Jetbook.

The functional 6" models were obviously the OEM from Netronix. The other is their design, and doesn't work yet. It's an engineering mockup they just receive a few days before. I wonder if the menu on the 6" Mentor is the same as on the EB-100? Actually, I think the 6" readers were EB-100. I was told they would only have the 5" Mentor because the others weren't ready yet.

The 9.7" was a preproduction model. If I hadn't told them I was coming, I doubt they would have brought it. It did have touchscreen, but the software was refusing to work that day. I know many here are disappointed by the lack of a hands on review, but I didn't expect to see it at all. Don't complain too loudly.

There were a number of other questions that people wanted me to ask, and most of the answers are on Astak's website. One thing I forgot to check is the format of the ebooks I was reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	astak01.jpg
Views:	1387
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	12808   Click image for larger version

Name:	astak02.jpg
Views:	1117
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	12809   Click image for larger version

Name:	astak03.jpg
Views:	1260
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	12810   Click image for larger version

Name:	astak04.jpg
Views:	1209
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	12811   Click image for larger version

Name:	astak05.jpg
Views:	1192
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	12812   Click image for larger version

Name:	astak06.jpg
Views:	1162
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	12813   Click image for larger version

Name:	astak07.jpg
Views:	1248
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	12814   Click image for larger version

Name:	astak08.jpg
Views:	1038
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	12815   Click image for larger version

Name:	astak09.jpg
Views:	1278
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	12816   Click image for larger version

Name:	astak10.jpg
Views:	1179
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	12817   Click image for larger version

Name:	astak11.jpg
Views:	1184
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	12818   Click image for larger version

Name:	astak12.jpg
Views:	1672
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	12819  
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The original pictures can be found in a couple zip files over here. If anyone has a question, please ask.
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
Gester
Enthusiast
Gester began at the beginning.

Device: TX :(
Someone in the other thread mentioned that the design of the 5" model in particular leaves something to be desired.

I'm not sure about that. It looks relatively uncluttered and, unlike the Kindle, the buttons seem to be in a reasonable place.

I bet we'll hear complaints about one-handed reading...turning pages and all. You know, for all those that seem to require a device that will allow you to read easily while you're driving or juggling chainsaws.
Gester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i have a question, and i realize this has nothing to do with astak, but you mentioned in that other thread that (my good friend) Garth Conboy was there with the new ETI model, do you have any photos of that ?? or news of any kind ???

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 05-15-2008 at 11:48 AM. Reason: i meant the letter *next to* the r.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 10:56 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i have a question, and i realize this has nothing to do with astak, but you mentioned in that other thread that (my good friend) Garth Conboy was there with the new ERI model, do you have any photos of that ?? or news of any kind ???
A couple of pictures in the zip file in that thread are of the ETI model. And yes, he did say a few things, but I thought it would be best to start a new thread. I haven't written it yet.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:57 AM   #7
Gester
Enthusiast
Gester began at the beginning.

Device: TX :(
The 9.7" model does look rather sharp and well designed...more so than the other two.

I only hope it works.
Gester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #8
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Clearly the dimensions are wrong on the website - I should have realized that myself before seeing these pics. Any sense of what the actual dimensions of the 9.7" model are? That's the one I'm most interested in, though if it's as big as it looks I might change my mind.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The original pictures can be found in a couple zip files over here. If anyone has a question, please ask.
I thought the Astak guy in the other thread said they were going to be Orange?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
well, at the time they had an orange bezel, but he said the design wasn't definitive. i admit, i was hoping for orange as well.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

You might not be able to see it, but the 9.7" does have an orange bezel on 3 of the edges.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #12
M.H.
Connoisseur
M.H. doesn't litterM.H. doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Clearly the dimensions are wrong on the website - I should have realized that myself before seeing these pics. Any sense of what the actual dimensions of the 9.7" model are? That's the one I'm most interested in, though if it's as big as it looks I might change my mind.
I think the metric measurements are correct. The imperial measurements were the same for all three units last time I looked.
M.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:11 PM   #13
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Call me paranoid, but so far we have:

- some working 5" readers
- semi-working 6" reader

...and a word of marketing people that it will get better.

So far, vapourwave. It doesn't sound like they're going to start selling them soon. I'm not holding my breath. (Actually, I stopped holding my breath as soon as I heard they use Windows, but I digress ... )
b0rsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:14 PM   #14
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Where to begin?

Fictionwise wasn't at the conference. At least, I didn't see them and the Astak rep didn't think they were there. So I couldn't get solid info about Ereader support, but I was told that Fictionwise should be ready to announce Ereader support in June. The Astak rep didn't know whether Fictionwise's device would be locked down or what other features it would support.

The 5" model came in several different colors. Not all worked because they hadn't been flashed yet. One did, so this is fine. It only read the PVI/Netronix STK format. I did get a picture of the menu. As you can see, it's different from the 6". Also, look at the position of the buttons. They bear a striking resemblance to the position of the buttons on the Jetbook.

The functional 6" models were obviously the OEM from Netronix. The other is their design, and doesn't work yet. It's an engineering mockup they just receive a few days before. I wonder if the menu on the 6" Mentor is the same as on the EB-100? Actually, I think the 6" readers were EB-100. I was told they would only have the 5" Mentor because the others weren't ready yet.

The 9.7" was a preproduction model. If I hadn't told them I was coming, I doubt they would have brought it. It did have touchscreen, but the software was refusing to work that day. I know many here are disappointed by the lack of a hands on review, but I didn't expect to see it at all. Don't complain too loudly.

There were a number of other questions that people wanted me to ask, and most of the answers are on Astak's website. One thing I forgot to check is the format of the ebooks I was reading.
Nate,

It's quite clear the white Astaks are basic Netronix models. Whether they're EB-100s or EB-2xx models isn't so clear, but I'd lean towards EB-100s right now as even Netronix isn't shipping EB-2xx models yet. Except for the "Astak" logo across the top, the white models are identical to my EB-100 in appearance.

I like the looks of the 9.7" model. Would love to see it in action. However, I'm hearing late summer from Netronix for the EB-300 (maybe) so I guess I'll just have to wait.

As I've said elsewhere, if Astak makes eReader work on these, it would be nice. I'd rather have Mobi support, but both of those are FAR superior to .stk ebooks!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:17 PM   #15
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
Call me paranoid, but so far we have:

- some working 5" readers
- semi-working 6" reader

...and a word of marketing people that it will get better.

So far, vapourwave. It doesn't sound like they're going to start selling them soon. I'm not holding my breath. (Actually, I stopped holding my breath as soon as I heard they use Windows, but I digress ... )
I'm pretty sure the white Astaks are fully working. But I'm willing to bet they're EB-100s, not EB-2xx series. That means they come loaded with Linux 2.6 and STAReBOOK's Eread (.stk format ebooks) ebook reader - and they don't support touchscreen, bluetooth or wifi. Now the other 6" models may well be engineering mockups waiting for the EB-2xx guts.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
astak, idpf