Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
zux2
zux2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zux2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zux2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Ghosting with "older" versions of the Touch?

Hi, I got a Kobo Touch for Christmas and I love it.

After a few days of reading with it, I returned it due to some problems I was having with shutting it down and then restarting to a screen which had information on the newest update and requested me to setup again. Then I would find out my all my books on it were gone.

Anyways, the first time I exchanged it, I got one that came with a bulkier USB cable. This one wouldn't even through the port on my protective case for it, which I bought from the same store (Chapters). Furthermore, I noticed that ghosting/that five-o-clock shadow was more noticable. I got another exchange only to receive a "version" that had the bulkier USB again. I noticed the same ghosting problems on it.

I feel like almost as if a newer "version" with a slimmer USB in response to the complaints about the USB port on the case was made which also included a Kobo Touch with less noticable ghosting.

Or maybe I'm just crazy?

I have to set the page turns to refresh every 1 page turn I'm okay with, but I'm wondering if refreshing more often drains the battery faster.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/ereadi...m_page:richrel

^ Case, if anyone was curious.
zux2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
What is the page refresh rate set to? Open a book and open the menu select the wrench icon and then Advanced settings.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
What is the page refresh rate set to? .
Quote:
Originally Posted by zux2
I have to set the page turns to refresh every 1 page turn
Already answered
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by zux2 View Post
After a few days of reading with it, I returned it due to some problems I was having with shutting it down and then restarting to a screen which had information on the newest update and requested me to setup again. Then I would find out my all my books on it were gone.
Did you ever end up reading much with the 1.9.16 (newest) firmware update on your original machine? I do find that 1.9.16 doesn't clean up the screen as nicely as the older versions of the firmware, so if you updated your later 2, but not the 1st one, you might have noticed it for that reason.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
zux2
zux2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zux2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zux2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

OP here, yeah I have set to 1 page refresh now. When it was 3, it was quite noticable, now not so much.

I'm *pretty* sure I installed the update in the first one as well. I mean it's possible I was taken to a screen telling me to setup, with information on update 1.9.16, and I skipped setup and just read in this state, but wouldn't it still be running 1.9.16?

Is there anyway for me to use previous updates instead of the most current one? Or even if I could that, would that be not reccomended due to the loss of faster page turns...

Could Chapters, where I bought it from, just received a bad batch? Although, the Kobo Touches they had on display showed some serioussss ghosting though. Worse than mine, possibly.

EDIT: Could a factory reset/restart the Kobo Touch from the back solve this problem?
EDIT: Furthermore, I have been uploading my own epub books via Calibre. It's the version below what the current one is. Could this be the cause?

Last edited by zux2; 01-02-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I'm *pretty* sure I installed the update in the first one as well. I mean it's possible I was taken to a screen telling me to setup, with information on update 1.9.16, and I skipped setup and just read in this state, but wouldn't it still be running 1.9.16?
Sounds like you did get it upgraded. From your post I wasn't sure if you had gotten beyond that point.

Quote:
Is there anyway for me to use previous updates instead of the most current one? Or even if I could that, would that be not reccomended due to the loss of faster page turns...
You'll find some posts in the 1.9.16 upgrade thread if you want to try that. Speed difference is subtle more than dramatic. Not sure it's a great option.

Quote:
Could Chapters, where I bought it from, just received a bad batch?
Possible, but not likely.
Quote:
Although, the Kobo Touches they had on display showed some serioussss ghosting though. Worse than mine, possibly.
They likely have older firmware but set to default 6 page refresh. I did a factory reset and forgot to change it back to 1 page and couldn't figure out why my Kobo seemed to have gotten a poor screen until I changed it back.
Quote:
EDIT: Could a factory reset/restart the Kobo Touch from the back solve this problem?
EDIT: Furthermore, I have been uploading my own epub books via Calibre. It's the version below what the current one is. Could this be the cause?
Factory reset might help -- sometimes it fixes things that logically it shouldn't be able to. Sideloading with Calibre is highly unlikely to related to your issue. My guess is it's likely primarily related to a less "rigourous" refresh with the current firmware (which is likely a tradeoff to getting faster page turns).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
zux2

I've done a basic reset and a factory reset and I still notice some ghosting. I've contacted Kobo for a replacement/repair. In case anyone was interested:

The last picture is a bit exaggerated because it's set on 6 pages per refresh. The pictures don't really capture how I perceive the ghosting, which is much more severe. >_>

I've downgraded to 1.9.14 and there is still ghosting.

EDIT: I've taken at some pictures of ghosting and I'm not even sure my problem is ghosting. On closer examination, the problem is very thin and faded outlines of text/images from previous pages. It's almost as if they're block letters that aren't filled in.

Last edited by zux2; 01-02-2012 at 11:25 PM.