Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #1411
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Ok, so i finished Dead Beat yesterday and still can't bring myself to start Proven Guilty. The end again is a complete surprise, as it was with all books so far. But I can't stop thinking of why some things were said. Rest of the post going to be a spoiler, actually a pretty big one of you have not finished Dead Beat.

WARNING: DO NOT OPEN IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED DEAD BEAT
Spoiler:
This is the threat that Harry makes to Mavra. Part of me wants to actually see it happen, all of it, at the same time, just to see / read it. But then, this cannot be. If all that happens it would be the end of Harry as we know him up to this point.

Bold is mine, which I believe to be wrong if Harry freewilly chooses to do so.

I suspect some of that to happen later in the series (in fact I know of one thing that will happen). That does not bother me so much. What bothers me: Why did Harry make the threat if deep down he knows it is against his beliefs to actually do it? At least all at once, on purpose.

It is very dramatic, and I loved reading it. So much that I re-read the whole scene imediately after again for effect. But it is so wrong. Am I evil? Or is Harry's evil at this point?
Only time will tell!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #1412
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Ok, so i finished Dead Beat yesterday and still can't bring myself to start Proven Guilty. The end again is a complete surprise, as it was with all books so far. But I can't stop thinking of why some things were said. Rest of the post going to be a spoiler, actually a pretty big one of you have not finished Dead Beat.

WARNING: DO NOT OPEN IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED DEAD BEAT
Spoiler:
This is the threat that Harry makes to Mavra. Part of me wants to actually see it happen, all of it, at the same time, just to see / read it. But then, this cannot be. If all that happens it would be the end of Harry as we know him up to this point.

Bold is mine, which I believe to be wrong if Harry freewilly chooses to do so.

I suspect some of that to happen later in the series (in fact I know of one thing that will happen). That does not bother me so much. What bothers me: Why did Harry make the threat if deep down he knows it is against his beliefs to actually do it? At least all at once, on purpose.

It is very dramatic, and I loved reading it. So much that I re-read the whole scene imediately after again for effect. But it is so wrong. Am I evil? Or is Harry's evil at this point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Only time will tell!

What Alan said.... There is no way to answer your question ... correctly. You must continue the books.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #1413
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Only time will tell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
What Alan said.... There is no way to answer your question ... correctly. You must continue the books.
Ok thank you. That is what I thought. Usually if I go with my gut feeling then I can't go wrong. Usually Jim goes out of his way to make sure important things stick out like a sore thumb. For example:
Spoiler:
Butters Polka suit: ever since it got saved into the Blue Beetle I was waiting for it to come out. I expected it to be used to mess up the necromancer drummers and not for Sue.

Always surprises, and you knowing the books down the road it is hard to discuss so yesterday and old concerns of me.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #1414
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
At least you have the advantage of not having to wait for the next book in line to be released to find out what happens. You can go onto the next book whenever you like. Those of us that have read Cold Days have to wait for the next one to be written and released.

Enjoy your reading.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #1415
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
...So far the only thing Dresden that I have not enjoyed was the awful television version that came out a few years back. I couldn't make it all the way through one episode.
Quote:
Hmmmm....Since I disagree with your sentiment on the TV show, I feel the need to explain further (Nyssa and I along with some other folks have had similar discussions before).

Odds are that you began reading the book series first then viewed and highly disliked the TV series' interpretation of Harry and his friends and exploits. Whereas I watched the entire series before seeking out the book series.

I did this because I missed my weekly sojourns into the Chicago of Harry Dresden. I'd noted right from the first televised episode the opening credits saying that the show was based on The Dresden files books by Jim Butcher.

Of course I liked the book series even more (much much more) than I had the TV show. But to this day I still like the TV show a lot, in fact because of your post I've just re-watched the first 4 episodes and liked them just as much as I always have. In fact I'll probably watch 4 more to-nite, and probably the final 4 on Sunday. Don't feel at fault, your post was just a trigger as I do this every year. Enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
True. I had started with the novels early-on and was very excited when I heard about a TV series... and then actually tried to watch it.
Well it took me longer than I figured on. I just finished re-watching the 12 The Dresden Files TV episodes. Enjoyed them a whole lot, as I usually do. In fact I'm going to re-watch the entire Firefly TV series next!.

I was looking at videos on YouTube a few days ago and viewed a trailer for a movie to be released next summer called The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones and thought to myself, 'I believe that that's the first book of Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series'. So I decided that I was going to read it next. I just completed reading City of Bones and enjoyed it so much that I went and picked up a copy of the next one in the series, City of Ashes and have begun reading it. Cassandra Clare should meet Jim Butcher as she seems to love beating her main characters to a pulp much like Jim Butcher does.

Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #1416
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Finally finished Cold Days. Great book, but some things... I really hate to wait to see where he is going with that.

I am wondering about some things though. Do not open if you have not read Cold Days. You have been warned.
Spoiler:

Mab tells Harry that if Maeve would die and Molly wasn't around, he would be the next Winter Lady. That sounds really strange and made me wonder something else. If a Faerie queen/lady dies, the mantle goes to the nearest vessle. I think Harry was closer than Molly in that particular case. Upon reading I also had the idea the Molly was closer to Lily when she died. Perhaps the mantle goes to the best suited in a certain area?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:35 AM   #1417
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Cold Days, Jim Butcher

Could be a spoiler unless you've read the first chapter of Cold Days. Not really a major one in any event. Just kind of a tickler.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #1418
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Could be a spoiler unless you've read the first chapter of Cold Days. Not really a major one in any event. Just kind of a tickler.
I liked it up to "use your imagination". That what the book says? Or is there more in the book?
Old 12-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #1419
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Cold Days!

Quote:
I liked it up to "use your imagination". That what the book says? Or is there more in the book?
Spoiler:
I'm not Gonna' tell you!

Old 12-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #1420
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Spoiler:
I'm not Gonna' tell you!

I knew that was coming
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #1421
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Spoiler:
I'm not Gonna' tell you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I knew that was coming
Spoiler:

I think I just fell off my dinosaur.

Karma for a good laugh.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #1422
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Dresden Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
At least you have the advantage of not having to wait for the next book in line to be released to find out what happens. You can go onto the next book whenever you like. Those of us that have read Cold Days have to wait for the next one to be written and released.

Enjoy your reading.
Here are some suggestions, there are probably a lot more that others can provide.

1. you could look for other, perhaps similar, material to read.
2. you could ask other thread participants to suggest other novels or series.
3. you could read Codex Alera (6 books).
4. you could re-read The Dresden Files series.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #1423
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Here are some suggestions, there are probably a lot more that others can provide.

1. you could look for other, perhaps similar, material to read.
2. you could ask other thread participants to suggest other novels or series.
3. you could read Codex Alera (6 books).
4. you could re-read The Dresden Files series.

All excellennt suggestions. I plan on rereading the entire Dresden Files again.

I do have other series I enjoy reading but am always open to suggestions. I am considering Fated. (that quote just sucked me in )
Old 12-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #1424
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool other books

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
All excellennt suggestions. I plan on rereading the entire Dresden Files again.

I do have other series I enjoy reading but am always open to suggestions. I am considering Fated. (that quote just sucked me in )
Fated is the 1st Alex Verus novel and there are 2 more already released Alex Verus books, Cursed and Taken.

Here is the 'to be released' part of my TBR list:

1. December 31, 2012 - Touch of the Demon (Kara Gillian #5) - Diana Rowland
2. January 22, 2013 - Ever After (The Hollows #11) - Kim Harrison
3. February 26, 2013 - Bad Blood (Kate Shugak #20) - Dana Stabenow
4. March 5, 2013 - Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson #7) - Patricia Briggs
5. July 30, 2013 - Magic Rises (Kate Daniels #6) - Ilona Andrews

Old 12-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #1425
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer

I'm also waiting for #2 on your list.

As well as Mountain Echoes (The Walker Papers) by C.E. Murphy - Feb 19, 2013 (#8, I think)

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy