Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
stargazir
Enthusiast
stargazir has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
Managing books on multiple kindles

I have just bought 3 kindles, one for me and two for other people. I would like us to be able to share books. I know that I need to register them all on the one account however I have a question about how to get the books onto each of the units.

1) Can I download via whispernet to one kindle and have the books appear on all 3 of them or do I need to download seperately to each kindle?

2) If I download to my PC can I then transfer them to all of the Kindles?

I'm sure I could work this out if I tested it but I didn't want to open the other boxes as they are gifts and im using an internet cafe so cant download to a PC.
stargazir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Hi,

I do have the Kindle DXG and the Kindle 3. Whatever you bought will appear on the Archive folder on both, regardless of the device but after sync. Now, if I want to read the same book I just downloaded on my DX on my Kindle 3, I do have to download there as well. In other words, the books do not download on all registered devices automatically, requires user's intervention.

You can also download locally to your PC (the azw file) and move it over USB to any of your devices. If using the Kindle application itself, is something similar; the Kindle application creates a folder inside Windows and drops the file there.

Hope that helps...

Last edited by jocampo; 01-10-2011 at 09:32 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
waller4343
Enthusiast
waller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle DX, K3, iPad
You will have to download the books seperately to each Kindle. The books are DRM's to the device. The easiest way would be to wait until you have access to a computer then download them to each Kindle from Manager Your Kindle at Amazon. That way you wouldn't have to open the 2 gift Kindles.
waller4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:16 AM   #4
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
When I bought my second Kindle; it arrived with all the books I bought on my first Kindle in its archives. On 'manage your Kindle' at Amazon.com there's an option to send a book to each of the registred devices.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
anilom
Banned
anilom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
hey! I'm thinking of getting a kindle 3 my self, i must say i'm fairly new to kindle and i'd have a question that might relate to this topic. can i share books amongst kindle users, so lets say my friend has an ebook she want to 'lend' me. is that possible? or do i have to buy all the books i want to read?
anilom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by waller4343 View Post
You will have to download the books seperately to each Kindle. The books are DRM's to the device. The easiest way would be to wait until you have access to a computer then download them to each Kindle from Manager Your Kindle at Amazon. That way you wouldn't have to open the 2 gift Kindles.
no, this is not necessary. your kindles will be named kindle1, kindle 2, and kindle 3. go to your "manage my kindle" page at amazon. from there check all the books that you want to have sent to kindles 2 and 3 (they automatically go to kindle 1), tick them and they will be sent via whispernet and the next time those kindles are turned on they will be received

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilom View Post
hey! I'm thinking of getting a kindle 3 my self, i must say i'm fairly new to kindle and i'd have a question that might relate to this topic. can i share books amongst kindle users, so lets say my friend has an ebook she want to 'lend' me. is that possible? or do i have to buy all the books i want to read?
you can share one book one time only with one person. it kind of sucks but that is how they have it right now. the only other device that does sharing at the moment, the nook if the same way. there is a way to get around this and that is to have multiple kindles registered to one account. all those kindles have access to all of the material. of course that means that those kindles can order books from your account, so you need to make sure they would be trustworthy people
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
lued214
lued214 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Silly question here but would it be possible to use save the same eBook on multiple devices? Is that allowed under the license or would I need to buy the eBook as many times as I have devices?
lued214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lued214 View Post
Silly question here but would it be possible to use save the same eBook on multiple devices? Is that allowed under the license or would I need to buy the eBook as many times as I have devices?
First, I would really suggest reading Amazon's info on Kindles. You'll see that you basically have access to all the documents in your account for all your Kindle devices and Readers registered to that account. There is a limit to how many devices on your account can have access to any one document (for most DRM'd documents it is 6) such that a book can only be on 6 devices or softwares at one time.

My wife and I just share our Kindles on one account so that we can each read the same books if we want and only buy the book once.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lued214 View Post
you can have up to 5 kindles on one account so they can all share books. you can also gift a kindle, that person can register it to their own account, and then you can put it back onto your account to add books just as long as you never de-register it from your account. this is what my son and I do.

welcome to the forums! feel free to ask any questions you may have, we try to streamline use and experiences for new members, we were all new once!
Old 01-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You can also go your Manage my Kindle page and move books that way. My Mom lives a long way away from me so I added books to her DX that way. When she turned on her whispernet she got the books I had downloaded for her.

Whoops KindleKitten posted this already.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #11
stargazir
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
no, this is not necessary. your kindles will be named kindle1, kindle 2, and kindle 3. go to your "manage my kindle" page at amazon. from there check all the books that you want to have sent to kindles 2 and 3 (they automatically go to kindle 1), tick them and they will be sent via whispernet and the next time those kindles are turned on they will be received
Are you saying I can do a bulk transfer? When I look at manage my kindle I have a list of the books at the bottom of the screen under "My Orders". I can see that I can select the dropdown to send it to the other Kindles but it looks like I have to do each book individually. Is their some way of doing all of them at once that I can't see?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes you have to do each book individually. It would be nice if you could select books and do a mass move but that is not the way the system works.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:58 AM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Yes you have to do each book individually. It would be nice if you could select books and do a mass move but that is not the way the system works.
what she said. but it goes VERY quickly!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #14
stargazir
Enthusiast

thanks so much for your help. i have worked out that anything i send to one kindle appears in the archives in the others. its quick to download them.
im sending this from my kindle how exciting
Old 01-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

LOL enjoy!