Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
feedy
feedy began at the beginning.

Device: PB 302
Hyphenation with fbreader180

I just received my PB 302 this week and directly installed fbreader180. All my books are however justified and unpleasant to read (e.g. sometimes just 3 words centered on one line). Hyphenation would be a solution, and is available in a lot of languages. Unfortunately not in my language (Dutch). Is there any possibility to add it?
feedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedy View Post
I just received my PB 302 this week and directly installed fbreader180. All my books are however justified and unpleasant to read (e.g. sometimes just 3 words centered on one line). Hyphenation would be a solution, and is available in a lot of languages. Unfortunately not in my language (Dutch). Is there any possibility to add it?
Well we would need a file with the dutch hyphenaion rules. Does anyone know where to get that?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
feedy

Thanks for your reply. How did it work with the languages which are available right now? Do they come from the original fbreader project? Or do you maybe have a sample file of the german and/or english language?
Old 10-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedy View Post
Thanks for your reply. How did it work with the languages which are available right now? Do they come from the original fbreader project? Or do you maybe have a sample file of the german and/or english language?
They come from the original afaik
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
LaTeX (texlive) has language support for Dutch (and other languages) which I assume includes hyphenation rules. Maybe those can be converted/imported somehow.

I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere that fbreader180 actually prevents hyphenation for some words? Guess it depends on the language and person (and font size?) whether hyphenation is any good. Personally I don't like it when a lot of words are broken up.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 12:52 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Are you sure Dutch is missing? The Windows Desktop FBReader (at least) includes Dutch as an option for the default language. I assume it will therefore hyphenate Dutch.

There are other possibilities:
  • The ebook's language code metadata may not be specifying Dutch correctly.
  • FBReader may not be recognizing the language code metadata, even though it is correct. This turns off FBReader's hyphenation.
  • The ebook's language code metadata may be set to UND (or und), for undefined. This turns off FBReader's hyphenation.
I suggest opening a Dutch ebook in Desktop FBReader (Windows or Linux) and see what it auto-selects as the language. It it does not select Dutch and/or does not auto-hyphenate, then attach (or provide a pointer to) a public domain ebook illustrating the problem.

Last edited by wallcraft; 10-02-2010 at 12:56 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
feedy

I'm running the latest FBreader (0.12.0) on Ubuntu. Dutch is indeed listed there as a language. However if I turn Dutch as default on, hyphenation is still not working. Even if the metadata inside the epub is configured as Dutch.

A samplefile of a Dutch newspaper can be found here: http://epaper.nrc.nl/downloads/nrc_20090909.epub

With English or German epub's hyphenation is working normally.

On the latest FBreader on my Pocketbook, Dutch is not listed as an option by the way.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It seems that Dutch localization was added in version 12.5 (How to localize FBReader interface for your preferred language). I don't know if fbreader180 is based on the 12 series, but if it is you should be able to add the "-nl.xml" files. However, as you discovered, this does not give you hyphenation.

Is the hyphenation for German "good enough"? That might be a work around for the Desktop version (manually select German under the book info icon).

I suggest posting a question on FBReader Google Group about Dutch hyphenation. You can include the Dutch newspaper as an example. If German hyphenation looks good (or better than nothing) you can mention this, because using German hyphenation for Dutch is probably an easy fix to make.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Maybe I'm blind but I don't even see where the hyphenation rules go. Are they builtin part of the binary? The xml files hold only language strings for buttons and the like.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #10
JAW
JAW began at the beginning.

Hyphenation in fbreader based on Patterns of TeX and OpenOffice
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/language/hyphenation/
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote