Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
What are the advatages of the Pocket Pro over the Sony 505?

I see that for the time being, the price of the Sony 505 has dipped down to $200 (in the US). So if the price is the same as the Pocket Pro, I wonder what advantage each has.

The 505 has a 6" screen which is highly regarded. The Pocket Pro has a 5" screen with the latest Epson controller.

Too bad no Sony rep is here to tout the 505, but I wonder what the Astak fans feel about how the Pocket Pro compares to the 505 at the same price point.

By the way, I feel that price is important. Yesterday I saw someone compare the $200 Pocket Pro to an $800 iRex, and say that the Pocket Pro comes up short. In my view comparisons are valid only between comparably priced units.

Last edited by GA Russell; 09-03-2009 at 08:57 PM.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
I am a noob, but I can tell that the pp supports more formats, supports much bigger expansion cards, TTS, user-replaceable battery...what else am I missing?
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
SD, I forgot about the user-replaceable battery! That's what got me seriously thinking about the Pocket Pro in the first place.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
SD, I forgot about the user-replaceable battery! That's what got me seriously thinking about the Pocket Pro in the first place.
yup, you can get a couple extra batteries and be ready for a month-long vacation in the dessert .... well, don't know if a month, but certainly a lot
Old 09-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
IMHO there is screen difference in prs 505 and pp, I think prs 505 screen is the best in the bunch, I have compared it to several other ebooks I got my hands on
And I am sure 6 inch screen is easier to read for visually challenged
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:31 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookathon View Post
IMHO there is screen difference in prs 505 and pp, I think prs 505 screen is the best in the bunch, I have compared it to several other ebooks I got my hands on
And I am sure 6 inch screen is easier to read for visually challenged
The PRS-505 has exactly the same screen as every other current 6" eInk device. They are all made in the same factory by the same company - PVI, in Taiwan.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:40 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
I am a noob, but I can tell that the pp supports more formats, supports much bigger expansion cards, TTS, user-replaceable battery...what else am I missing?
TTS doesn't work with ePub, so that's out. The PP is said to be slow, so that's out. That leaves nothing left. Oh well.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
TTS doesn't work with ePub, so that's out. The PP is said to be slow, so that's out. That leaves nothing left. Oh well.
Only one person said it is slow, so much for your leaving out pros, and TTS with some formats is better than nothing, plus we might get TTS with ePub in the future, which would be an extra bonus
Old 09-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
The 505 is a proven, solid device that gets very good reviews from its owners. But it is the last generation in terms of technology.

The pp has more features than the 505. But it is unproven at this time.

So, if you want a device that just works then go for the 505. If you want the latest features go for the PP.

I'm not trying to be silly here because given that statement the obvious choice would be the 505. However, I choose the PP. Given the nature of the device and this forum I suspect that we have many people who prefer to be at the leading edge -- even if it hurts a bit .
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Too bad no Sony rep is here to tout the 505, but I wonder what the Astak fans feel about how the Pocket Pro compares to the 505 at the same price point.
Hmmm.... I'm not so sure there is no Sony Rep lurking and posting here.

A review of the posts will surely uncover likely suspects
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
These devices have very similar capabilities. Both have 8 grey levels, both have expandable storage, both support mobile Adobe Digital Editions. If you want portability, the Pocket Pro is significantly smaller and lighter. There is a significant difference between a 6" and a 5" screen, so here to nod goes to the Sony and this is particularly true if you care about illustrations in ebooks or comics (they do look better at 600x800 on a 6" screen). Finally the Sony has "collections" and the Pocket Pro has folders. Never having used a Sony, I prefer folders.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:57 AM   #12
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
These devices have very similar capabilities. Both have 8 grey levels, both have expandable storage, both support mobile Adobe Digital Editions. If you want portability, the Pocket Pro is significantly smaller and lighter. There is a significant difference between a 6" and a 5" screen, so here to nod goes to the Sony and this is particularly true if you care about illustrations in ebooks or comics (they do look better at 600x800 on a 6" screen). Finally the Sony has "collections" and the Pocket Pro has folders. Never having used a Sony, I prefer folders.
I prefer folders too . Why Sony doesn't produce eBook readers with folders support?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:48 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It has collections, which are very like folders.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing collections allows is for you to have eBooks in multiple collections without having to have multiple copies of the same eBook. That is the only adavntage collections have over folders.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote