Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #31
henriquemaia
Ignorant of many things
henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I faced the same difficulties as you, kslaght. I assumed (maybe mistankingly) that the first item was to disable the customization of the footer (user's customization) and retain kobo's (firmware original's).

Last edited by henriquemaia; 08-17-2013 at 06:56 AM.
henriquemaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #32
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
@kslaght,

I find even treadlightly's file hard to read as that one line goes on forever. Why not just change all of them to use 60 60 10 for tmin hight, tmax hight and footerMargin and see if it works for you.

I have an Aura and changed the 5 5 0 in the original config file to 60 60 10 as was suggested in another post and that worked for me, I didn't change the tfont-size value in the config file.

Edit: to get the full benefit I also include " p, body{ widows: 0; orphans: 0; } " as extra CSS in common options preferences section in calibre for my epubs.

Last edited by jiminrussell; 08-17-2013 at 07:27 AM.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #33
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
I have an Aura and changed the 5 5 0 in the original config file to 60 60 10 as was suggested in another post and that worked for me, I didn't change the tfont-size value in the config file.
I don't have an Aura, but if the 5 5 0 values are what changed the display for you, then that makes sense. I will change the colours in my post.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #34
kslaght
kslaght began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
jiminrussell:

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't considered that I might still be changing the wrong set of values after all of that double and triple checking. As for the orphans and widows, I had meant to mention that I had tried that as well. I saw the changes from that, but of course it didn't fix the footer problems.

henriquemaia:
I'm afraid I don't understand what you did. Did you end up fixing it?

Thanks

Keith
kslaght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #35
henriquemaia
Ignorant of many things
henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslaght View Post
jiminrussell:

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't considered that I might still be changing the wrong set of values after all of that double and triple checking. As for the orphans and widows, I had meant to mention that I had tried that as well. I saw the changes from that, but of course it didn't fix the footer problems.

henriquemaia:
I'm afraid I don't understand what you did. Did you end up fixing it?

Thanks

Keith
You're right, I was far from clear.

What I did was to disable the first patch.

Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Disable reading footer style`
patch_enable = `yes`
And customized the footer on the second patch

Code:
patch_name = `Custom reading footer style`
When I did this, it worked as expected.
henriquemaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslaght View Post
Hi everyone

Thanks for getting this info out there, and for reformatting and coloring the config file, treadlightly.

I cannot, however, get this to work on my Glo with 2.8.1.
I copied treadlightly's config file and then changed only the 3 numbers in green to 60,60,10 (as mentioned a few times), but didn't see any results after updating. Same results with different numbers.

I then enabled the 'Disable reading footer style' patch, and it worked. I don't want to get rid of the page numbers, but at least I know my updates are being applied.

I tried using the original config file, just in case I copied it poorly, which didn't work either.

Am I missing something here? I believe I've done this all properly, but perhaps someone can provide my missing link.
I left the first patch (Disable reading footer style) set to patch-enable = no and the second patch (Custom reading footer style) set to patch-enable = yes.

In that rather long line, you'll find the various devices referred to in two places.

The first reference seems to be the factory values and I think it is being used to check that you are modifying a factory libnickel.so.1.0.0 so I would not modify it. The second reference is the one to be modified. I've included both sets here.

Since I have an Aura, these are way I set the values for it:

First reference: ReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tmin-height: 120px;\n\tmax-height: 120px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 20;

Second reference: ReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tmin-height: 60px;\n\tmax-height: 60px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 10;

For a Glo, you would modify the values in the second reference to kraken/phoenix. Since the Glo is lower resolution, I'd suggest trying values around 40 for the min and max height. I still haven't found what the footerMargin does so I'd suggest setting it to 10.

ReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="kraken"],
ReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {
min-height: 40px;
max-height: 40px;
qproperty-footerMargin: 10;
}

To make it easier to read the line, I copied it into my favourite text editor and replace the \n pairs with an end of line and the \t pairs with a tab character which gives a result similar to below.

Code:
`ReadingFooter {
	min-height: 70px;
	max-height: 70px;
	qproperty-footerMargin: 40;
}

min-height: 82px;
	max-height: 82px;
	qproperty-footerMargin: 110;
}

ReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {
	min-height: 120px;
	max-height: 120px;
	qproperty-footerMargin: 20;
}

* {
	font-size: 16px;
}

[deviceCodeName="kraken"], 
[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {
	font-size: 20px;
}

[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {
	font-size: 26px;
}

[localeName="ja_JP"] {
	font-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;
}`,

`ReadingFooter {
	min-height: 70px;
	max-height: 70px;
	qproperty-footerMargin: 40;
}

min-height: 82px;
	max-height: 82px;
	qproperty-footerMargin: 110;
}

ReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {
	min-height: 60px;
	max-height: 60px;
	qproperty-footerMargin: 10;
}

* {
	font-size: 16px;
}

}

}

[localeName="ja_JP"] {
	font-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;
}`
Good luck!

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 08-17-2013 at 05:26 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #37
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
It's not working for me. If I change anything in the line that starts with replace_zlib, for example change the first 70px to 60px, I get an error "Data for replace in libnickel.so.1.0.0 and kpg.conf does not match!"

If I run it with the exact same original text, then it works.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #38
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The first reference seems to be the factory values and I think it is being used to check that you are modifying a factory libnickel.so.1.0.0 so I would not modify it. The second reference is the one to be modified.
Okay, that part just sunk in, and I think I'm getting it now. Thanks DNSB
Old 08-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #39
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
Okay, that part just sunk in, and I think I'm getting it now. Thanks DNSB
You're welcome.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #40
kslaght
kslaght began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thank You

Thanks, David, for making that much clearer. I was sure I was already changing the proper values, but I must not have been. I was able to change the right values and experimented with some different numbers. I ended up at 30, 30, 10. This leaves me with perhaps a little more than one line blank between the page numbers and the text. I found if I went any lower, the page numbers began to sink beneath the edge of the screen.

If anyone cares to see, I've attached a screenshot.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help, especially as a new member.

Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo Glo Patcher 30 30 10.png
Views:	643
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	109570  
kslaght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #41
ectoplasm
Addict

I also have things mostly working at this point. One thing I can pass along, be careful what epub you use for testing. I think the Kobo has some quirky rendering. My test book had every para nested in a div (don't ask my why). This shouldn't have mattered, but it turns out it was causing extra space on the Kobo that I mistakenly thought was a problem with the settings in the patch, and I wasted a lot of time fiddling with settings.

Once I tried a few other books with regular paras for markup, I got results like the screen capture in post #13 of this thread.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:54 AM   #42
grucha44
grucha44 doesn't littergrucha44 doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I've been playing with values for Aura and here they are.
I'm now using values 5/45/8 and also changed font size from 26 to 20 px. It gives all the lines of text that can fit on screen plus page number indicator on the bottom.
The most important values I think are footer margin and font size, if I raised footer margin to 10 I've lost one line of text.
grucha44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:23 AM   #43
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The first reference seems to be the factory values and I think it is being used to check that you are modifying a factory libnickel.so.1.0.0 so I would not modify it. The second reference is the one to be modified.
My take on this is that the first reference is for when you disable a particular patch, in which case the first reference is used to revert the binary to the original values in the firmware download (in case you had previously enabled that patch).
ShellShock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #44
ectoplasm
Addict

I've noticed changing the dragon font-size, only some values work, like 26px, 36px, 40px, 1em. Others like 34px cause a "zlib string for replace is too large" error when running kpg.exe.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #45
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
I've noticed changing the dragon font-size, only some values work, like 26px, 36px, 40px, 1em. Others like 34px cause a "zlib string for replace is too large" error when running kpg.exe.
This might be a long shot, but I wonder if one could remove sections of the CSS that do not apply to your particular device? This should (in theory) help as it would ensure that the data to be compressed was less, and should more easily be storable within the original space in libnickel.so.

So for instance if the original CSS was (copying from DNSB)
Code:
}

}
and you were just patching for a dragon class device then
Code: