Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #46
mvo
Connoisseur
mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Elizabeth George is not one my favorites.

I love Martha Grimes Richard Jury and Melrose Plant books, though. I was rather taken aback when I found out that she was American.

They are quite whimsical in a way, but with good mysteries, a wide cast of interesting and consistent characters, and a few quite dark moments. Reminiscent of Sayers and Allingham, but set in the 60's on IIRC.

Helen
Off I went to Amazon.com, and was all excited to see 22 in the series on Kindle - only to come up against those geographical restrictions! But I am allowed to purchase the German versions - go figure...
mvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #47
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvo View Post
Off I went to Amazon.com, and was all excited to see 22 in the series on Kindle - only to come up against those geographical restrictions! But I am allowed to purchase the German versions - go figure...
Agghhh
I read somewhere in the forums that the Australian government is in favor of bypassing geological restrictions and giving pointers on it?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #48
mvo
Connoisseur
mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Agghhh
I read somewhere in the forums that the Australian government is in favor of bypassing geological restrictions and giving pointers on it?

Helen
Here in New Zealand the government is talking about taxing overseas online purchases..

Oh well, I will add Martha to my list of "e-books to buy when I am in the US"
mvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #49
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Nancy Kopp has written 5 mystery/thriller books. At least some of them are currently available as kindle ebooks I believe if not all 5. Though not a male author she does write well. I don't really know any modern American male authors of mysteries that well but I don't think you can go wrong with Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. Isaac Asimov wrote some short mysteries and at least one novel length mystery.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #50
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I don't think this American male detective series was mentioned yet (or I missed it if it was) - the Moe Prager books by Reed Farrel Coleman. Prager is a former NYPD cop who became a private detective.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:49 AM   #51
nosake
nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
He does get very dark at times - I've heard it said that he makes Ian Rankin look like Enid Blyton

The humour appeals to me too

/JB
Sorry, which author uses humour?
nosake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #52
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosake View Post
Sorry, which author uses humour?
Sorry - I should have been clearer. I was referring to Stuart MacBride's Logan McRae series - very dark and twisted, but with a vein of macabre humour running through it. That's not to say the humour is the primary element - it's not - but it does raise its head occasionally.

Brilliant books, IMHO.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #53
iamosam
Enthusiast
iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
...I felt that after a couple of books it became more kind of relationship books than detective stories. The focus seemed mostly to be on the protagonists personal problems.
That reminds me about 'The guards' by Ken Bruen. The book has around 300 pages (mostly one/two word sentences or lists). Out of which may be 20-30 were the real mystery. The remaining is the hero boozing around. I was almost convinced that the copy that I have was missing many pages, until I read the reviews from goodreads. I liked his writing style though.

Anyone has an opinion about Kate atkinson, Laura lippman, Tana French or Nancy Pickard? I read good comments about them (I love psychological mysteries).

Last edited by iamosam; 08-09-2013 at 07:20 AM.
iamosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #54
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamosam View Post
That reminds me about 'The guards' by Ken Bruen. The book has around 300 pages (mostly one/two word sentences or lists). Out of which may be 20-30 were the real mystery. The remaining is the hero boozing around. I was almost convinced that the copy that I have was missing many pages, until I read the reviews from goodreads. I liked his writing style though.

Anyone has an opinion about Kate atkinson, Laura lippman, Tana French or Nancy Pickard? I read good comments about them (I love psychological mysteries).
Ken Bruen is all about atmosphere and lyrical writing...and it's quite dark too. Although I wouldn't say all of them are quite that lacking in mystery! Generally speaking they are too dark for me.

Laura Lipman is hit or miss for me. She has written one that I thought was just awesome, but every other book I've tried by her has been pretty ho-hum. Nancy Pickard writes what I'd call old-fashioned mysteries. They're solid, but I'm not necessarily captured by the characters every time (I've only tried two or three.)
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #55
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Have any of the detective novel fans here ever read The Strange Death of Eugene Kling by Jim Thompson? This title was mentioned in a book of an entirely different type that I read, but I am wondering whether or not it was any good as a detective story?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #56
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I don't think this American male detective series was mentioned yet (or I missed it if it was) - the Moe Prager books by Reed Farrel Coleman. Prager is a former NYPD cop who became a private detective.
Very good series.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #57
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
A lot of people like Robert Crais and Stephen Hunter, those are two more on my list, can't vouch for them personally yet.
I can.

Stephen J Cannell died a couple years ago, but his Shane Scully series is really good. If you are including thrillers, then Brad Thor. David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter series is very entertaining and worth a read. David Baldacci. John Lescroart.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #58
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Add my vote for James Ellroy (any James Ellroy, not just the L. A. Quartet).

And, another of my favourites is Philipp Kerr's Bernie Gunther novels (currently nine books and counting). Gunther starts as a Berlin homicide detective in the early years of the Nazi period. You'll have to read the series to see where he ends up.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #59
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
I can.

Stephen J Cannell died a couple years ago, but his Shane Scully series is really good. If you are including thrillers, then Brad Thor. David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter series is very entertaining and worth a read. David Baldacci. John Lescroart.
Oh, I didn't know Stephen Cannell died. I enjoyed his series too.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #60
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Add my vote for James Ellroy (any James Ellroy, not just the L. A. Quartet).

And, another of my favourites is Philipp Kerr's Bernie Gunther novels (currently nine books and counting). Gunther starts as a Berlin homicide detective in the early years of the Nazi period. You'll have to read the series to see where he ends up.
That is a teaser if I have ever heard one.

I have read 4 of the series at least and like them. Kind of quiet, but very believable both of the characters and historically. No idea how historically accurate they are but Bernie Gunther is to me a man trying to get by in a country he is unhappy with, but doesn't want to abandon and does his best but still must compromise himself. Kind of unique perhaps.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote