Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Last_modified= 766 books today

This has happened before and I don't know what triggers it (other than the expected bulk metadata changes)

I renamed (consolidated) a couple of series. (using the Manage Series PI)
Changed 1 to a hierarchical name (made it a child of another series) (used Rename in the Tag Browser)
Added a couple of formats to books (my normal way, DnD)

I DID NOT:
rename/delete any tags.
run Modify EPUB or Quality Check on a block of files
count pages on a block of files

The Authors are varied
The series seem to be involved, I see multiple books belonging to a whole series. Some hierarchical (but not all), some only 1 out of many.
{ID} is all over the board
No obvious pattern

theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@theducks, you are not alone - I thought it was just me, your post prompted me to go snooping

I downloaded Calibre 0.97 at 2012-11-24 13:15:38 and installed a few minutes later (as I always do)

The Modify date on the subfolders of C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2 lie between 2012-11-24 13:20:24 and 13:20:46

3852 books in my main library have Modify time-stamp of 2012-11-24 13:21:35, 7 books have Modified timestamps that are later - these are the books I've added/modified since Saturday.

The Modify date on the opf files in 1,665 book folders lie between 2012-11-24 13:21:40 and 13:24:48 - some of the books are members of series others are not.

I am 99.99999999'% sure I did not do a bulk operation on my entire library (or any substantial part of it) immediately after I installed 0.97 on Saturday afternoon.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-28-2012 at 06:37 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@theducks, you are not alone - I thought it was just me, your post prompted me to go snooping

I downloaded Calibre 0.97 at 2012-11-24 13:15:38 and installed a few minutes later (as I always do)

The Modify date on the subfolders of C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2 lie between 2012-11-24 13:20:24 and 13:20:46

3852 books in my main library have Modify time-stamp of 2012-11-24 13:21:35, 7 books have Modified timestamps that are later - these are the books I've added/modified since Saturday.

The Modify date on the opf files in 1,665 book folders lie between 2012-11-24 13:21:40 and 13:24:48 - some of the books are members of series others are not.

I am 99.99999999'% sure I did not do a bulk operation on my entire library (or any substantial part of it) immediately after I installed 0.97 on Saturday afternoon.

BR
766 is less than 20% of my Library.
Of the books affected: some have 2009,2010,2011,2012 (record) creation dates. (as I said...No obvious pattern
Old 11-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@theducks - are the Modified timestamps on those 766 books the same (you may need to tweak the date format to see a 'real' timestamp) and if so are they close to the time at which you upgraded to 0.97.

My Create dates are 'ok' but I don't make any use of create date.

I was using modify date as the secondary key in my Default View Manager configuration, and as the primary key in one of the other 2 View Manager configurations. I still am, but no longer for any useful purpose

BR

ps : I suspect many people don't-use/look-at/care-about Modified Date, from memory its not in the default Book List columns

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-28-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: add ps
Old 11-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@theducks - are the Modified timestamps on those 766 books the same (you may need to tweak the date format to see a 'real' timestamp) and if so are they close to the time at which you upgraded to 0.97.

My Create dates are 'ok' but I don't make any use of create date.

I was using modify date as the secondary key in my Default View Manager configuration, and as the primary key in one of the other 2 View Manager configurations. I still am, but no longer for any useful purpose

BR

ps : I suspect many people don't-use/look-at/care-about Modified Date, from memory its not in the default Book List columns
Not even close to my update (Saturday)
Time stamp Hour (my default) 113 at 6AM, the rest at 7am (I rebooted because of snailishness). Clearly, something I did triggered this. Since I did not (intentionally) do any of the usual causes???

EDIT: first seems to be at 06:49 last seems to be 07:12 (timestamp on the OPF)

Last edited by theducks; 11-28-2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: added spread
Old 11-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator

I'm going to look for a way to implement my own modify date

Maybe a simple plug in to update a Custom Column - MyModifyDate

If I forget to click it - then it's my problem.

BR
Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Some piece(s) of metadata common to the those 766 books must have changed. Impossible to know what unless you keep a backup of your library in which case you can diff the opf files to see what has changed.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Some piece(s) of metadata common to the those 766 books must have changed. Impossible to know what unless you keep a backup of your library in which case you can diff the opf files to see what has changed.
Well Tags would be the only 'common' thing I could think of over that many books, and I don't remember renaming a tag. Series: Yes
Old 12-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Merging tags may be it

this may be a clue
I merged a single tag into an existing tag (many books) using the Tag Browser.

foo_books [nnn]
foo_book [1] ->right-click: rename: foo_books

The number of last_modified was still lots bigger (~700) than the destination tag.
could it be all variants of the tag are getting touched?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC when you merge a tag, all books that have the original tag, not the destination tag are modified.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
IIRC when you merge a tag, all books that have the original tag, not the destination tag are modified.
That was what I expected. 1 book
something caused 700 others to change their modified date. That tag rename was the only thing I did at that time(stamp). The destination had a few hundred. That leaves the question why 500 more got touched. Maybe I am a klutz and more books were (unintentionally) selected than visible for some other operation

I will keep watching. maybe I will find what updates so many books
Old 01-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #12
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
I too am seeing the Modified_Date changed on a whole series of books. I'm working on adding books to my library. To check how many books I've added, I sort by date modified. I have over 500 books with a modified date of today. There is no way I have changed/added that many books today. Looking through the books modified today, I know for sure I have not touched them, or even added a format to them. I have not done any bulk changes today to any books or series of books. It's all been individual changes/adds.

This is an old thread, maybe someone is seeing this again...

Last edited by toomuchreading; 01-13-2014 at 05:18 PM. Reason: noticed old thread to add comment
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchreading View Post
I too am seeing the Modified_Date changed on a whole series of books. I'm working on adding books to my library. To check how many books I've added, I sort by date modified. I have over 500 books with a modified date of today. There is no way I have changed/added that many books today. Looking through the books modified today, I know for sure I have not touched them, or even added a format to them. I have not done any bulk changes today to any books or series of books. It's all been individual changes/adds.

This is an old thread, maybe someone is seeing this again...
It only takes 1 tag that is shared to have a case change.
You either block importing (and I am not positive that blocks all cases) tag or live with it

old tag: Science Fiction
a new book tag: science fiction

All books inherit the case change because the definition for the tag master changed (in the relational database Tags table)

Kovid does not see this as an issue
Old 01-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #14
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
My solution: I do not use the Modified (last_modified) column at all. When displayed (not hidden) there are too many conditions that change the value to current date/time for the Modified column to be useful to me. Also, if Modified column is hidden, apparently at some point all the values in it change. disappear, I'd guess if it is hidden at the next restart. Edit: For example adding or removing a column would automatically reset all the values to now.

Date (date books added) is much more useful as an indicator of something more concrete.

Last edited by unboggling; 01-17-2014 at 04:29 AM. Reason: strike/edit.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #15
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
I haven't changed anything using the tag browser. The only tag work I have done is to add or remove tags to a single book.
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote