Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #16
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 + Story HD + Kobo Touch
Possible solution to 64bit install problem

Thank you, paulroberthill, for the installer log.

I think I get an idea on what's happening. The cause should be related to UAC and Administrators rights. Antivirus software seems unrelated.

I uploaded a tentative update version "mobihandler-1-1-1097-setup.msi" on the same page: http://cid-88858bc052aea782.office.l...ic/MobiHandler

Mike4672, paulroberthill, and others who were unable to install on 64 bit OS, can you try 1.1.1097 and report back, please?
Alissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #17
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Workaround on thumbnail issues

I'm not exactly sure yet, but some thumbnail issues seem to be related to the Windows thumbnail caching. In my case, I completely disabled thumbnail caching on XP and frequently clear thumbnail cache on Windows 7. It may be the reason I didn't notice this issue.

So, if you experience thumbnail issues, e.g., you see no cover images on the Thumbnails View (XP) or Large Icons View (Vista/7) of Explorer, please try clearing the Windows thumbnail cache.

You can use Windows "Disk Cleanup" tool to do so. It should be in Start Menu | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools.

On Windows 7 (and probably on WIndows Vista, too), there is an option to not use thumbnails at all. Please make sure "Always show icons, never thumbnails" on the "View" tab in "Folder Options" is NOT checked to see cover images.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
As you can see on Vista 64 the 32 bit windows explorer the MobiHandler works as it should. The mobi tab in file properties works as well.

In the 64 version of windows explorer the only thing that works is the Titles and Authors columns showing the books info. No Thumbnails and no Mobi tab in file properties window.

I tried already clearing the thumbnail cache it does nothing.

I don't have UAC enabled as it's annoying but Avira doesn't like the setup still but once I temporary disable it the handler installs fine.

Edit: I've been playing around with it and I have found once I let the thumbnails generate in 32bit Explorer that they show up on the 64 version but they wont generate any new ones added you have to go to the 32 bit version for it to generate them then the 64 bit will show them. I don't know if that helps figure things out or not but it's sorta a work around. No Mobi tab though in 64 bit no matter what I try.

Edit again: I just noticed that is does not work for non-drm mobi files at all in either 32bit or 64bit. No Thumbnails or Mobi tab just Author and Titles columns working. The thumbnails and mobi tab it works on are AZW only on my pc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobihandler.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	69451  

Last edited by Blossom; 04-03-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #19
paulroberthill
paulroberthill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi + 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alissa View Post

I think I get an idea on what's happening. The cause should be related to UAC and Administrators rights. Antivirus software seems unrelated.

I uploaded a tentative update version "mobihandler-1-1-1097-setup.msi" on the same page: http://cid-88858bc052aea782.office.l...ic/MobiHandler
https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/thumbsup.gif
Mike4672, paulroberthill, and others who were unable to install on 64 bit OS, can you try 1.1.1097 and report back, please?
Hi Alissa,

That works great! Many thanks It's nice to see my covers in colour!

p.s. I have a pain in my left thigh after a 10k run. Do you have a fix for that too?

Paul
paulroberthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #20
Starko
Zealot
Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulroberthill View Post
p.s. I have a pain in my left thigh after a 10k run. Do you have a fix for that too?

Paul
Go for a float - Works like magic!
Starko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #21
jkeene
Connoisseur
jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alissa View Post

This new version works perfectly in my Win7 64bit system. Thanks!

I'm using Avast, it did not report any virus issues with either version.
jkeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #22
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Help - Windows Explorer crashing

I have Windows XP - SP2 only.

I know you state that it is for SP3 only but unfortunately, I installed your app. But it didn't seem to be working.

When I tried to open the "My Kindle Content" folder, Explorer told me an error had occurred and must close.
This happened each time I clicked on the Kindle folder.

I then uninstalled your app from the "Add/Remove" programmes and my PC now seems to be working correctly.

Is it possible that you have a version for SP2.

The reason I ask is because the hardware on my computer does not like SP3.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #23
Alissa
Connoisseur

Hi, all. Thank you for testimg.

I'm happy to know 1.1.1097 installer worked as intended. I'm sorry for not providing solutions for Vista 64 and a painful thigh. I have no enough time in weekdays.

On Windows XP SP2 issue: some key features that MobiHandler currently depends on are originally new to Vista and back ported to XP SP3 for compatibility. I think it's not easy to replace them with something available in XP SP2 and to maintain compatibility with Vista/7. One could modify the code for XP only (Incl. SP2 and SP3) though.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #24
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Feedback: on my W7 32-bit, the updated version would not install, but the original one installed and runs perfectly.... Nice little app, thanks!
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #25
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hi Alissa,

Thanks for the app. When trying to run it on 32bit Windows 7, I see the following error at the end of the installation:

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor".

When I click Ok on the dialog box, the install rolls back and quits.

My Windows error log shows the following. It means nothing to me, but might be useful to you:
"Product: Autodesk Material Library 2011 Base Image library -- Error 1721.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action: LaunchLuc.exe_Removal, location: H:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials2011\AssetFiles\Luc.exe, command: -l -r "H:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials2011\assetlibrary_base.adsklib"

Hope that helps

EDIT: In case of confusion over the paths quoted above...Windows is installed on the H: drive on my PC. It's a long story!

Cheers,
Leaston

Last edited by leaston; 04-07-2011 at 10:15 AM.
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #26
sorin
Connoisseur
sorin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Very nice app, will be great if help me change title and author atributes directly from Explorer.
sorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #27
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Very useful, Alissa. Thanks!
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #28
Alissa
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaston View Post
When trying to run it on 32bit Windows 7, I see the following error at the end of the installation:

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor".

When I click Ok on the dialog box, the install rolls back and quits.

My Windows error log shows the following. It means nothing to me, but might be useful to you:
"Product: Autodesk Material Library 2011 Base Image library -- Error 1721.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action: LaunchLuc.exe_Removal, location: H:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials2011\AssetFiles\Luc.exe, command: -l -r "H:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials2011\assetlibrary_base.adsklib"
Hmm. The very first line of your log appears that this is a log from an attempt to install a software called "Autodesk Material Library 2011 Base Image library" but "Alissa's MobiHandler".

Do you have any Autodesk software installed on your PC? If so, the log is very likely from the install session of it.

If you have no Autodesk product, and you are sure the log is from an install session of MobiHandler, well, I have no idea what happened.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #29
Alissa
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorin View Post
Very nice app, will be great if help me change title and author atributes directly from Explorer.
I understand your requirement. In fact, I considered the possibility to have the edit feature when I wrote MobiHandler. The primary reason I abandoned the idea is that it is not easy to do; as you can see here, the MOBI file format is not suitable for in-place editing.

I recommend to use a fully-featured editing tool, e.g., Calibre, if you want to change the book title.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #30
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Hello,

Great Program! I have Windows 7 64-bit and just installed mobihandler-1-1-1097-setup.msi. Everything works as expected. I wasn't sure that I had it installed at first, since the little installer window came up for 2 seconds and disappeared. Perhaps you could add a "Installation Successful" message at the end, just to clarify things.

Last edited by kranu; 04-09-2011 at 11:32 PM.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote