Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
Euler
Euler began at the beginning.

Device: none
Large Screen with strong PDF support e-reader

I am interested in purchasing my first e-reader within the next few months. My main purpose would be reading journal articles and text books (PDF format, with images/graphs). Therefore I need something that works very well with PDFs and I would ideally like the ability to take notes and 'mark up' the pages. Having an SD card slot is a must too.

I have been looking at the comparison list and so far the Plastic Logic QUE, enTourage eDGe, and PocketBook 901 seem to be the most appealing. I am still waiting for more information on Plastic Logic QUE as far as SD card slots and what type of functionality it offers for PDFs, however the very large screen is appealing. The enTourage eDGe seems like an interesting concept with a netbook attached to it, plus it seems very easy to take notes on it. While the PocketBook 901 seems to offer the most PDF functionality thus far.

Does anyone have any input on those options or ones that I have missed that would be better than my choices? Thanks.
Euler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:24 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest checking back after CES in January, see Digital eBook pavilion at CES (First Time EVER). There will probably be several new large screen devices announced there, and more information on the ones we know about today.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 12:58 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm not sure what your budget is but either the iRex DR1000S or the Kindle DX would probably be best bets. The kindle has a keyboard for annotations which the DR1000S has a stylus.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:39 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm not sure what your budget is but either the iRex DR1000S or the Kindle DX would probably be best bets. The kindle has a keyboard for annotations which the DR1000S has a stylus.

BOb
But the Kindle DX does not allow you to annotate PDF files, does it? Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

The iRex DR1000S is by far the strongest contender currently on the market but, as has been said, we should see a whole slew of new machines in the first half of 2010.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But the Kindle DX does not allow you to annotate PDF files, does it? Please do correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't have one but have looked at them. From the KDX manual:

<deleted that all>

Ah... you are right. I see in the manual that Notes and Highlights are not available in PDF documents. Wow, that really sucks doesn't it?

Well, I can't wait to see the features and price of the Que!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert